You are here

Host Drive Vs External SSD fro speed

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Re: Host Drive Vs External SSD fro speed

Postby Sam Spoons » Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:11 pm

The late 2011 MBP does have Thunderbolt, and changing to a SSD made a huge improvement in performance.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Ariosto » Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:18 am

I bypassed the internal drive on my mac mini - it's still there but I don't use it. I run the O/S from an external SSD drive which you can set up as the main boot drive and I also have other SSD drives as backups etc. It's very fast, 15 sec boot up and 10 sec close down, and just a few seconds to save a 5GB file.
Ariosto
Frequent Poster

Postby Matthew Seed » Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:54 am

Thanks guys for your input. Ya know what I am getting tempted to cut my losses and move on i.e buy a new Mac.

I am looking at a Mac Mini as I already have a nice super wide monitor that I like to use.

When buying a new Mac mini for music production there seems to be a lot of choice, I dont quite know what to prioritise.

for example:

3.6GHz quad‑core 8th‑generation Intel Core i3

Is the standard, or for £300 more i can get

3.2GHz 6‑core 8th‑generation Intel Core i7

So in there we have GHz, i3 or i7 and 4 or 6 core, could someone who knows explain what difference these elements make please, I am not to clued up on this level of tech.

After that its just storage and RAM options, I know not to buy Apple's memory of course, so I would go for the 8GB and upgrade with 3rd party.

I am guessing that any of these will be a major leap forward from what I have though.

I noticed that the thunderbolt ports are the USB 3 style, my UAD Apollo will work with this style port wont it, do i need a different cable ?

Thanks for any help guys its much appreciated.
Matthew
Matthew Seed
Regular

Postby desmond » Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:56 am

Go for the i7, it's a more powerful processor. A bit more money, but the machine will be better and last you longer.

Yes, your Apollo will work but you'll need an adaptor or two.
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby Kwackman » Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:22 am

Just be aware that some mac minis can't be upgraded by the end user.
Apple keep changing the upgradability, but at one stage you couldn't upgrade the ram even.
Best double check with someone who knows (Desmond?) before pressing the buy button
Kwackman
Frequent Poster
Cubase, guitars.

Postby Matthew Seed » Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:06 pm

Thank you guys, Thats just the info i needed.

I do hope you can change the RAM yourself, an extra £600 for 32GB is crazy cash.

Thank you again for the info, very much appreciated.

Matthew
Matthew Seed
Regular

Postby Matthew Seed » Sat Apr 11, 2020 3:27 pm

Hi guys. Could I just ask one more question.

I am getting ready to buy a new Mac Mini and take the plunge. From what I can see you can change the RAM yourself which is good news.

However on the subject of Thunderbolt, all the ports on the new Mac Mini's are Thunderbolt 3. I assume if you get an adaptor from Thunderbolt 2 to 3 then I can run my UAD Apollo at its full speed ?

I can not seem to find any third party adaptors for this, of course apple make thier own at £50 a go, i need 3 so this is mounting up. does anyone know of any good third party adaptors please like the one I have linked.....

https://www.apple.com/uk/shop/product/MMEL2ZM/A/thunderbolt-3-usb-c-to-thunderbolt-2-adapter?afid=p238%7Csjz2qESXs-dc_mtid_187079nc38483_pcrid_420352257486_pgrid_98718211840_&cid=aos-uk-kwgo-pla-btb--slid---product-MMEL2ZM/A-UK
Matthew Seed
Regular

Postby desmond » Sat Apr 11, 2020 3:30 pm

Matthew Seed wrote:However on the subject of Thunderbolt, all the ports on the new Mac Mini's are Thunderbolt 3. I assume if you get an adaptor from Thunderbolt 2 to 3 then I can run my UAD Apollo at its full speed ?

Yes.

Matthew Seed wrote:I can not seem to find any third party adaptors for this, of course apple make their own at £50 a go, i need 3 so this is mounting up.

I don't know of or have any recommendations for third party ones, sorry...
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby Matthew Seed » Sat Apr 11, 2020 4:54 pm

Thanks Desmond, much appreciated. Looks like i'll have to shell out £150 for 3 apple ones then.

Thanks again
Matthew
Matthew Seed
Regular

Postby desmond » Sat Apr 11, 2020 5:08 pm

You can try ebay, I'm sure there will be cheaper ones that are used, barely used, or surplus to requirements...
desmond
Jedi Poster

Previous