You are here

Using Surround Home Theater System as Surround Monitoring System in DAW

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Using Surround Home Theater System as Surround Monitoring System in DAW

Postby Guest » Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:52 am

forumuser782130 wrote:Thank you. Can you recommend a suitable non expensive small size power amplifiers please?

What if I am active surround and center speakers to my existing stereo monitors and subwoofer speakers?
The Crown XLS1002 is a two-channel amplifier having a maximum power output of 350 Watts at 4 Ohms. This amplifier is best option for a starter home theatre system setup. or you can go with Nobsound Lepy Power Amplifier which is for 4 channel but again it depends.

Postby The Elf » Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:41 pm

Tomás Mulcahy wrote:If it's music mixing, then an LFE is probably not necessary.
It's almost categorically a no-no.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby uselessoldman » Sat Jun 12, 2021 3:49 pm

From my computer I have access to all my speakers via ASIO I just change the output options.

1, AV Amp, using the HDMI from computer to amp that goes to my screen.
2. Internal computer speakers
3. connected ASIO device, I have a few so could be x32, sapphire Liquid etc

My AV amp is atmos 7.2 since I am using window there is no Digital ATMOS software its MAC only so I can only mix in 7.2. In my DAW I create output channels for the various speakers either in mono or stereo pairs. Works fine in studio one but it has no surround mixdown feature so I have to use cubase or Pro Tools.

I have a full Atmos system, it is still fun mixing in 7.2 with the rear ceiling speakers especially Dark Side of the Moon
uselessoldman
Regular

Postby The Red Bladder » Sun Jun 13, 2021 12:14 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:The complaints bounced around various BBC departments until it ended up with the Sound Supervisor who actually mixed the show having to explain to someone at the US broadcaster about the presence and role of bass-management in all home-theater systems, and why there would always be something coming from the subwoofer, regardless of whether or not there was anything on the LFE channel!

And this isn't an unusual confusion, sadly, despite all our best efforts. :beamup:
And the US broadcaster was right.

I have several Blu-Ray players and tuners (all Panasonics) and none of them route anything from the 5 or 7 main channels to the sub. And I have noticed that several UK and Irish recordings fail to include a bass channel and assume that the bass management system will do this for them. (Leonard Cohen Live in Dublin springs to mind.) Recordings made in France, Germany and the US merge the ordinary bass and the LFE for domestic streaming, broadcasting and disks.

Yes, professional bass management does route to the sub - but domestic players usually do not.

Apart from all that, if the customer wants a mix done in a certain way, the last thing you do is argue with them.

Hugh Robjohns wrote:All of the main channels have a full and ruler-flat bandwidth extending down to 5Hz or thereabouts, so can all carry any amount of conventional bass content on any or all channels.
In a well-equipped cinema, yes. But as stated - most home systems do not.

Hugh Robjohns wrote:If the listeners' main speakers can't reproduce very low frequencies (because they're only small, for example), the bass-management process in their home-theatre system will route the low-end from all channels to the subwoofer automatically.
None that I have come across, though some soundbars may do this.

To the OP - you need five or seven identical speakers to get a decent surround mix. A set of small Genelecs and a Genelec sub is what I recommend. Failing that, a Sennheiser 'Ambeo' is often used to check 3D mixes, though I have no personal experience of using one, but a friend whose opinion I do respect (he's recorded and mixed everybody from Pavarotti to The Stones) told me that it is better than separate speakers. I suppose I'll have to find out one day!
The Red Bladder
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:05 am

The Red Bladder wrote:And the US broadcaster was right.

No. They categorically weren't.

I have several Blu-Ray players and tuners (all Panasonics) and none of them route anything from the 5 or 7 main channels to the sub.

They aren't normally supposed to. Bass management is normally a function of the controller/amplifier, not the player.

And I have noticed that several UK and Irish recordings fail to include a bass channel and assume that the bass management system will do this for them.

It is supposed to! If you buy something under-specified you can't blame the content creators for it!

Yes, professional bass management does route to the sub - but domestic players usually do not.

Domestic Surround amps do!

Red Bladder wrote:
Hugh Robjohns wrote:All of the main channels have a full and ruler-flat bandwidth extending down to 5Hz or thereabouts, so can all carry any amount of conventional bass content on any or all channels.
In a well-equipped cinema, yes. But as stated - most home systems do not.

You are confusing channels and speakers. The CHANNELS are all flat down to 5Hz, even in domestic players. If the domestic user's speakers aren't full range (and few will be) they need a system that implements bass management. That facility might be in their surround controller / amplifier system, or it might be in their subwoofer. But it will be there somewhere.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Postby Kwackman » Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:11 pm

Your "fact checking" response is very helpful Hugh.
For a while I wondered if nearly all I thought I knew about bass management was a myth! Thanks :thumbup:
Kwackman
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Cubase, guitars.

Postby The Red Bladder » Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:26 pm

One of my various gigs is to check DVDs and BR disks for the European market and all films have the LFE and the Bass routed to the subchannel. That is part of the tech sheet from every studio/distributor.

If you are putting music broadcasts through a distribution system that requires things to happen a certain way, that is what you have to do. What the BBC does in its own little world is totally irrelevant to the US studio system and US broadcasters.

As 'Later' is shown by MTV, the giant Viacom company will be the ones having to deal with BBC petty arrogance. As we also master and edit stuff for the BBC, I for one can verify that their tech departments live in their own private world of silly games. Considering that they are the worst payers by a considerable margin, their games are hardly justified. (Fortunately, I am not the person who has to deal with them, but I hear the cries of frustration!)

For those casual readers here who want to submit material for Netflix or any other US distributor or broadcaster, stick religiously to their tech specs. If you do not, the material will be rejected.
The Red Bladder
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Previous