You are here

Is there a list of all Tape Echo units ever made?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Re: Is there a list of all Tape Echo units ever made?

Postby resistorman » Wed May 06, 2020 3:58 pm

True enough. This hardware looks interesting:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... echo-pedal
resistorman
Frequent Poster

Postby mikehende » Wed May 06, 2020 4:49 pm

You won't believe this but the thought of having a pedal option had crossed my mind because whenever I am listening to music I am mostly sitting down relaxing with a beer so I can have the settings on the pedal in place and press whenever needed?
mikehende
Regular

Postby resistorman » Wed May 06, 2020 5:01 pm

Don’t overlook the benefits of a tap tempo pedal for what you have in mind, too.

I bet this would be great for an analog synth with no efx.
resistorman
Frequent Poster

Postby The Elf » Wed May 06, 2020 5:19 pm

There's no way to only echo one signal in a mix. All you can do is time the FX throw to catch as clean a beat as you can. And getting infinite repeat with tape? Not really.

I'd suggest looking at a digital hardware unit. An old MIDIVerb or the like would do.

I'm a bit surprised your existing DJ software doesn't offer such basic effects. I'm sure many do?
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby djangodeadman » Wed May 06, 2020 5:21 pm

Music Wolf wrote:If I still had mine it would be up for sale along with my Colorsound Tonebender (which went into landfill a long time ago).

Vintage Tonebenders sell for serious money these. The bass version, the Colorsound Bass Fuzz, is one of the best bass fuzz pedals I have ever heard.

I have two Copicats, by the way, although I don’t have much use for them currently.
djangodeadman
Regular

Postby mikehende » Wed May 06, 2020 5:41 pm

The Elf wrote:There's no way to only echo one signal in a mix. All you can do is time the FX throw to catch as clean a beat as you can. And getting infinite repeat with tape? Not really.

I'd suggest looking at a digital hardware unit. An old MIDIVerb or the like would do.

I'm a bit surprised your existing DJ software doesn't offer such basic effects. I'm sure many do?

I have been able to echo one word with my digital units. I had assumed a Tape Echo would be able to do the same thing and based on the video of the Roland 201 I am not seeing why not?

Yes, there are DJ softwares which come with fx but they are crappy basic stuff, nothing like what my digital units sound like.

@Resistorman
is the pedal you linked me to [Boss RE20] a "tap tempo" pedal? Sorry I am on the DJ side so not familiar with all of this PA or Band type stuff.
mikehende
Regular

Postby The Elf » Wed May 06, 2020 5:44 pm

mikehende wrote:I have been able to echo one word with my digital units. I had assumed a Tape Echo would be able to do the same thing and based on the video of the Roland 201 I am not seeing why not?
You misunderstand me. What I'm saying is that you cannot single out one sound from a mix. If you can catch a snare sitting on its own in the song, then yes, you can echo it, but if it has a vocal (for example) behind it you will get both the snare and vocal echoed. Tape or digital - no difference.
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby mikehende » Wed May 06, 2020 5:49 pm

I see, I never paid attention to that tbh. I can try using my phone to record a clip on the w/e and upload for you guys to have a listen if ok so you guys can have an idea of what I am seeking?
mikehende
Regular

Postby Music Wolf » Wed May 06, 2020 6:14 pm

djangodeadman wrote:
Vintage Tonebenders sell for serious money these.

I know. I spotted one in Denmark St a few years ago and couldn’t believe it. This was the first pedal that I bought c1977. I’ve also discovered that my Boss FDR-1 and my trusty old ‘first edition’ Sansamp might be collectible enough to make it worth my while to retrieve them from the loft.
Music Wolf
Frequent Poster

Postby The Elf » Wed May 06, 2020 6:51 pm

Music Wolf wrote:
djangodeadman wrote:Vintage Tonebenders sell for serious money these.
I know. I spotted one in Denmark St a few years ago and couldn’t believe it. This was the first pedal that I bought c1977. I’ve also discovered that my Boss FDR-1 and my trusty old ‘first edition’ Sansamp might be collectible enough to make it worth my while to retrieve them from the loft.
I sold one (the 'Steve Hackett' version) a few months ago. I don't recall how much I got, but it was nothing like the price people try to tell you they're worth. The ones at silly prices simply don't sell.
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby The Korff » Thu May 07, 2020 11:59 am

mikehende wrote:The unit I had was a blue faceplate color with black knobs and same rectangular box like the 201. Friend of mine said he had one with blue and chrome colors with 3 knobs but he too can't remember the model.

Hrm... Selmer Swissecho, maybe? The blue bit fits!

The Korff
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby mikehende » Thu May 07, 2020 1:37 pm

Thanks but no, sorry.

Anyways guys, I am leaning towards trying out the RE-20 Pedal mentioned here:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... echo-pedal

but since I have never used a pedal before let me ask some questions please.

I can connect it to my dj rig like any other fx unit and it will work?

How exactly does the tap/tempo work?
mikehende
Regular

Postby The Elf » Thu May 07, 2020 2:22 pm

I'd say that's far more sensible option for you than real tape. I see no reason why you couldn't connect that up, as long as your system does have a way of connecting external effects?

Tap tempo just means you can tap one of pedals in time with the music and it will set the delay time for you to match. In your scenario this would be a very useful feature.
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby mikehende » Thu May 07, 2020 2:28 pm

Oh I see, tap/tempo would be the equivalent of a beat-assist function in DJ softwares.

Yeah I'm figuring the pedal with simulation fx would also mean not having any issue with replacing the tape. Wish I could find someone who has both a tape machine and a pedal so they can confirm the pedal will give the same sounding fx like the tape.
mikehende
Regular

Postby The Elf » Thu May 07, 2020 3:06 pm

mikehende wrote:Wish I could find someone who has both a tape machine and a pedal so they can confirm the pedal will give the same sounding fx like the tape.
Tape would give you lots of hiss, plenty of hum, thumps at the splice point, drop outs, the chance of the tape snapping, the chance of the tape snarling in the pinch wheels, the chance of mechanical failure, lots of potential to pay for new tape, tape splice kits, maintenance bills...

Of course, if any of these things sound attractive then tape might be better for you... ;) :lol:

mikehende wrote:Wish I could find someone who has both a tape machine and a pedal so they can confirm the pedal will give the same sounding fx like the tape.
Why do you think that most of us who had them back in the day no longer have them?... ;)
The Elf
Jedi Poster

PreviousNext