You are here

Is there a list of all Tape Echo units ever made?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Re: Is there a list of all Tape Echo units ever made?

Postby djangodeadman » Thu May 07, 2020 3:14 pm

I’d agree that the RE-20 is a good option. All the sound, none of the hassle.
djangodeadman
Regular

Postby mikehende » Thu May 07, 2020 3:19 pm

I didn't expect that you would have gotten rid of the tape units [collector's items] but makes sense and NOOOOOO, I certainly never expected there would be so many issues with tape machines but thanks for the info!
mikehende
Regular

Postby nathanscribe » Thu May 07, 2020 4:21 pm

If a tape echo style pedal is on your list, look at the Strymon units as well. I had the El Capistan for a few years and it's very good. I preferred the sound of it to the RE-20, but that's a matter of taste. There's also the Volante, which I haven't tried but sounds pretty good.

Unlike everyone else here, I sold my tape emulations and bought an old genuine tape echo and spring reverb! Give me wonky noisy effects every time, I don't need all that newfangled clean stuff :D
nathanscribe
Frequent Poster
I have no idea what I'm doing.

Postby resistorman » Thu May 07, 2020 4:31 pm

If you have a new tape echo, the sound begins to deteriorate immediately as the tape wears and the heads become clogged and worn. Guides and the pinch roller pick up oxide from the tape too, so tracking begins to suffer. Even if you could make the case that a tape echo sounded better than a simulation (which in my experience is not true) it wouldn’t for long. As Elf pointed out, it’s a constant maintenance headache just to keep it sounding decent. We used them because that’s what we had, not because they were in any way magical. That’s why I recommended the RE-20.
resistorman
Frequent Poster

Postby mikehende » Thu May 07, 2020 5:15 pm

nathanscribe wrote:If a tape echo style pedal is on your list, look at the Strymon units as well.
Unlike everyone else here, I sold my tape emulations and bought an old genuine tape echo and spring reverb! :D

I listened to the 2 Strymon pedals on youtube El Capitan and Volante, based on what the guitarist was playing and the settings he used, I have to say the RE 20 seems a lot to be better option to give me what I want.

Which Spring reverb do you have please? I have a pioneer SR303.
mikehende
Regular

Postby mikehende » Thu May 07, 2020 7:10 pm

Also, I think I need to try this out myself because when I look at this video of the RE201:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VK2-tv4GW5E

At the 1:50 mark the guy is using the "Mode 4 Delay" pattern which is what I am counting on as that will handle the delay fx I use but in this video here on the pedal:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ekBkbUVcBg

at the 2:50 mark, showing I think around the same settings I am not hearing the same effect?:
mikehende
Regular

Postby baward » Thu May 07, 2020 9:02 pm

I love the IDEA of a tape echo more than I do the reality of owning one. I just sold a Korg SE-300 Stage Echo, and even though it's lovely, it weighed a ton and took up quite a bit of
space (Echo). And as others have said, you can essentially get the same thing in something one-sixth of the size and that is hopefully maintenance-free.
baward
Regular

Postby nathanscribe » Fri May 08, 2020 10:25 am

mikehende wrote:Which Spring reverb do you have please? I have a pioneer SR303.

Vermona VSR 3.2.
nathanscribe
Frequent Poster
I have no idea what I'm doing.

Postby mikehende » Fri May 08, 2020 12:18 pm

baward wrote:I love the IDEA of a tape echo more than I do the reality of owning one. I just sold a Korg SE-300 Stage Echo, and even though it's lovely, it weighed a ton and took up quite a bit of
space (Echo). And as others have said, you can essentially get the same thing in something one-sixth of the size and that is hopefully maintenance-free.

Well, therein lies the problem. As I had stated, when comparing the RE 20 pedal to the 201, I am not seeing that the Pedal gives the exact same effect as the Tape unit [according to my comparison with both vides shown].
mikehende
Regular

Postby djangodeadman » Fri May 08, 2020 1:11 pm

mikehende wrote:
baward wrote:I love the IDEA of a tape echo more than I do the reality of owning one. I just sold a Korg SE-300 Stage Echo, and even though it's lovely, it weighed a ton and took up quite a bit of

Well, therein lies the problem. As I had stated, when comparing the RE 20 pedal to the 201, I am not seeing that the Pedal gives the exact same effect as the Tape unit [according to my comparison with both vides shown].

If you must have the original, then you must. It will be expensive to buy and potentially expensive to maintain, but it WILL be the real thing.
djangodeadman
Regular

Postby mikehende » Fri May 08, 2020 1:47 pm

Yeah, I don't actually need the original just would like the same effect if it could be ounce in a pedal, maybe I should look around for a different pedal which might give that same effect?
mikehende
Regular

Postby MOF » Fri May 08, 2020 2:09 pm

MOF
Frequent Poster

Postby mikehende » Fri May 08, 2020 2:21 pm

Thanks, I have been looking into this option but one issue is my dj software does not natively support plugins.

At any rate, I would prefer hardware and better if with a Pedal.
mikehende
Regular

Postby mikehende » Fri May 08, 2020 6:20 pm

Doing some more research on pedals guys, I have found what might be the same or very closest to the Roland 201, is is the Empress. You can see a demo here from this page:

https://pedals.thedelimagazine.com/best ... ping_Guide

If you can scroll down to the middle of the page and click in th Empress box which is shown in this screenshot, you will see a guy demo it:

https://i.postimg.cc/JhwN7Ygx/Screen-Sh ... -59-PM.png

Can you guys let me know what you think about it please?
mikehende
Regular

Postby mikehende » Thu May 21, 2020 1:23 pm

Hey guys, I think I am zeroing in on what I need, please take a look at this and tell me which devices he's using here please?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5Dx2felMps
mikehende
Regular

PreviousNext