You are here

Simple virtual drummer instrument

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Re: Simple virtual drummer instrument

Postby CS70 » Wed May 06, 2020 10:54 am

Also do not discount people using high-end electronic drums. A bit like guitar modelers, there's from beginner units to mega-live show kits that cost more than a car, and these sound good.

My drummer, which is normally as luddite as they get (his fave kit is his Ludwig bought new
around when I was just out of diapers) bought himself a Yamaha top of the line kit and it's so happy with it that the Ludwig is mostly collecting dust.

People with that kind of kit don't need a a good room at all, no more than us guitarists need one when recording a Kemper..
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby The Elf » Wed May 06, 2020 11:52 am

One of the better drummers I've worked with still uses a little Roland SPD8 that he plays with a pair of sawn-off drum sticks. I can tell you that if you saw and heard him play the thing you would be gobby-smacked!
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby CS70 » Wed May 06, 2020 11:58 am

The Elf wrote:One of the better drummers I've worked with still uses a little Roland SPD8 that he plays with a pair of sawn-off drum sticks. I can tell you that if you saw and heard him play the thing you would be gobby-smacked!

Oh yeah the player matters a lot - and the room's out of the equation with that as well..
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby blinddrew » Wed May 06, 2020 12:02 pm

I'm totally on board with electric drum kits. :) I've the bottom of the range Roland kit and with my limited skills and experience it sounds fine to me. My drummer is much less convinced (but he is properly old school about this stuff!).
The main thing against using a session drummer is simply the price. Anyone worth their salt is going to charge a fair rate for their skills - say $20 an hour as shot-in-the-dark.
That gives me five hours work for the price of one of these plug-ins.
I know that it's five hours work that I can't replicate, and that it would almost undoubtedly result in a better final outcome, and it will take me much longer than 5 hours to get to that point.
But my time is unrestricted, my cash, less so... ;)

Anyhow, I now have an extensive selection of options to look at.
Thank you all for your thoughts and suggestions. :)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby OneWorld » Wed May 06, 2020 12:50 pm

As mentioned already, MT Power Drums is a great deal at £0.00. I pipe each drum/cymbal etc out on it's own channel. I use Cubase but any DAW will do, then one having a separate audio channel for each drum, EQ/Dynamics etc can be applied to each channel. What I like about MTPD is is uses tiny amount of CPU, I use a template with MTPD as the drums and use it as a basis for getting an idea down.

If you use Cubase, then you get GrooveAgent SE with a good range of kits.

Also if you download the Bandlab Cakewalk, it comes with a good drum VST. And because it is a VST you can out it into a VST folder and use it with other DAWs apart frm Cakewalk. There's some other decent VST plugins too!

There is a vid on TouTube which goes under the name of something like Top 5 Free Drum VSTs. One of them is top product from a top company, but I think you need an iLok, or at least an iLok account. I thin the Steven Slate Drums too, of course a subset of the full product but again I think you need an iLok account
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby blinddrew » Wed May 06, 2020 2:24 pm

I have an iLok account for my Soundtoys and Waves plugins anyway (no dongle) so that doesn't bother me.
I have now gone from thinking "Do I buy product X" to "Which of the following six products is best for my needs."
Thanks, I guess! ;)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster

Postby garrettendi » Wed May 06, 2020 2:44 pm

Despite my hardcore allegiance to MDrummer I’d try the free Steven Slate Drums and the trial of Superior Drummer and go from there!
garrettendi
Frequent Poster (Level2)
"I mean, Led Zeppelin didn't write tunes that everyone liked. They left that to the Bee Gees"Wayne Campbell (Wayne's World)

Postby Music Wolf » Wed May 06, 2020 4:18 pm

Drew

Have you got a MIDI drum file for one of your songs that you could send out? Maybe we could play it through the plugins that the community has available and you could compare the results?
Music Wolf
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby blinddrew » Wed May 06, 2020 4:42 pm

Music Wolf wrote:Drew

Have you got a MIDI drum file for one of your songs that you could send out? Maybe we could play it through the plugins that the community has available and you could compare the results?
That's a great idea. I do have something that our drummer played in for me. I should be able to work out how to extract that as a midi file. Not done that before but I'm sure the option will be there on Reaper somewhere. Will post back here in due course.
Thanks! :thumbup:
blinddrew
Jedi Poster

Postby garrettendi » Wed May 06, 2020 4:44 pm

I can't promise, but I am happy to feed the MIDI into a rough and ready MDrummer if I'm available.

It won't be polished, but then that's better because you can see how much work you would need to do in post.
garrettendi
Frequent Poster (Level2)
"I mean, Led Zeppelin didn't write tunes that everyone liked. They left that to the Bee Gees"Wayne Campbell (Wayne's World)

Postby blinddrew » Wed May 06, 2020 5:51 pm

garrettendi wrote:I can't promise, but I am happy to feed the MIDI into a rough and ready MDrummer if I'm available.

It won't be polished, but then that's better because you can see how much work you would need to do in post.
Nothing I do is polished! :D
blinddrew
Jedi Poster

Postby garrettendi » Wed May 06, 2020 5:54 pm

Rest assured, I’m worse! When I “polish” my recordings they sound like a bad phone connection!
garrettendi
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Kwackman » Wed May 06, 2020 6:01 pm

The Elf wrote: But for sounds I'm still getting 80% of everything I need out of Steven Slate drums.

I was going to argue in favour of my previous suggestion, EZDrummer, on the price difference.
But I see they are quite similar prices, so I would now change my mind and agree with the Elf and suggest Steven Slate Drums.

Both programs have included MIDI files of patterns, I've never used them, but I'm sure they'll all be pretty good.

SSD have a demo you can download.
I did this, and 30 minutes later bought it. Just warning you!
Kwackman
Frequent Poster
Cubase, guitars.

Postby blinddrew » Wed May 06, 2020 7:48 pm

Warning received! ;)

But I wouldn't have started the discussion if there wasn't the available funds.

Does SSD have a brushes option?
blinddrew
Jedi Poster

Postby Kwackman » Wed May 06, 2020 8:20 pm

blinddrew wrote:Does SSD have a brushes option?

Yes, in the Jazz kit
Kwackman
Frequent Poster
Cubase, guitars.

PreviousNext