You are here

Simple virtual drummer instrument

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Re: Simple virtual drummer instrument

Postby blinddrew » Fri May 08, 2020 9:55 am

Gah! Too many options! :)

Interesting suggestion, will check it out.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby desmond » Fri May 08, 2020 12:32 pm

DC-Choppah wrote:I have tried many of the drum VIs, and for me Strike by Air is the best. It works differently than the others in that it offers a drum performance each time you play it.

Yep, this is how Logic's "Drummer" works. You pick a drummer (different drummers and kits for different styles), pick a groove, and Drummer will play in the groove, adding fills add the end of sections, and automatically chaning things up in your different song sections. You can control the density and intensity of play, so you can get bigger in the choruses and strip it back for the verses and so on.

When you're happy with a general performance, you can retire the drummer and just bounce to MIDI (or audio), and still change kits, and process etc from there.

It's a great way of adding drums to your tracks if you don't have much "drummyness" or interest in doing drums - wonderful for things like basic songwriting and getting tracks started.
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby blinddrew » Fri May 08, 2020 2:27 pm

Thanks MFG, Elf and Fruitcake, I've got those downloads now. :)
Off to play with them and some demos now.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster

Postby blinddrew » Fri May 08, 2020 2:37 pm

desmond wrote:Anyone who can play a musical instrument has a sense of rhythm, and if you have a sense of rhythm, you can play drums.
And if you can play drums, you can program drums. ;)

So - either you want to get better at playing/programming drums, or you instead want to choose existing patterns/feels etc and chain them together to paste up a backing track. Something like EZ Drummer will let you do both/either - you can use it as a drum module to play, with a variety of different sounds (and expansion packs), plus it has a whole library of pattern and song creation tools if you prefer to go that route.

So how do you best want to work with your drum parts? From existing pattern presets?
Sorry Desmond, I missed this comment initially somehow. I wasn't ignoring you honest!
I think the answer is a combination. I'd like some parts to start with, that I can edit, but there will be times when I can get hold of a drummer, so I'd like something that they could play in as well.
If you could add the moon on a drumstick that would be a nice touch... ;)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster

Postby desmond » Fri May 08, 2020 9:32 pm

blinddrew wrote:I think the answer is a combination. I'd like some parts to start with, that I can edit, but there will be times when I can get hold of a drummer, so I'd like something that they could play in as well.

I stand my my EZ Drummer recommendation. Good price, a good range of expansions in a variety of styles (so you can avoid the heavy metal and rock kits and get the nicer more natural indie, americana, nashville kits etc) so you can mix up your drum flavours, they come with a good variety of MIDI patterns for each kit (and they do expansions of these too), nice to use, gives some sound/mix kit piece options per kit without being overwhelmingly tech-y, and without the *whopping huge* sizes of the multi-mic'd Superior Drummer kits.

blinddrew wrote:If you could add the moon on a drumstick that would be a nice touch... ;)

desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby blinddrew » Fri May 08, 2020 11:15 pm

Thank you!

Well it's been an interesting afternoon. Amongst other jobs I've had a play with some of the samples that people have kindly sent me and downloaded some demos to play with as well.
The Addictive sounds didn't really work for me - can't articulate why I'm afraid.
Superior is out of my price range, even on sale.
Strike wouldn't play nicely with either my midi files or my midi kit.
Jamstix again left me uninspired - shame none of the brushes options were on the demo.
Solid is nearly there. I really like the drum sounds, the interface is easy, but it doesn't play nicely with my midi kit (and doesn't appear to have a remapping option) and there's no brushes.
The Slate stuff I want to like. But the demo is very limited (just one rock kit) and it all sounds too, well, polished (I think that's what someone said above). I tried bringing it into a couple of projects and it just didn't fit.
EZ drummer failed at the first hurdle in that I loaded the demo and it immediately said it had expired. Toontrack support have given a bit of a rigamarole to try and sort it. Normally I'd drop a product in situations like this but I'm really holding out hope at the moment that it might be the right option.
:(
blinddrew
Jedi Poster

Postby CS70 » Sat May 09, 2020 12:01 am

I have also Slate Trigger (yeah with the ilok), platinum which comes with a bunch of samples and yeah at least these are very "produced". I think it's the idea - just plonk them in and they work.

EZDrummer's Basic kit (the raw recording) is very natural. Almost too much - the Ludwig kit sounds just like when I'm recording my drummer myself with his 70's drums! :D Luckily there's lots of more pre-seasoned flavors for each kit and for quick and dirty demos I usually use these, but for more serious stuff you can mix drums just like if you had miked 'em yourself.

Strange you have problems with the demo - when I was trying several packages I installed it and it was supersmooth.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby The Bunk » Sat May 09, 2020 10:03 am

Another EZDrummer user here...still on version 1 and it suits me especially as I don't do especially complicated stuff with drums. It's easily editable so that you can also make it more natural / human sounding but it's pretty good as it is. I think you've seen some of my stuff on Youtube and that's ALL done with EZD. (PM me though if you want a link)
As a sort of aside, one thing I always notice when I see Springsteen performing is that Max Weinberg uses the most basic of drum kits; I mean really not much more than yer typical band drummer would use in a pub gig. I've always thought that if it's good enough for Brucey, it's good enough for me. So I'm happy with the most basic of EZD kits for now, have been for years.
The Bunk
Frequent Poster

Postby blinddrew » Sat May 09, 2020 10:04 am

It installed easily enough, just immediately expired and apparently the customer service folks can't just reset it.
I'm going to work through their workaround later and hopefully get something working.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster

Postby blinddrew » Sat May 09, 2020 7:46 pm

So EZ drummer is definitely sounding like the thing i need.
Has anyone here bought from Inta Audio? They seem to have a very good price on it, and two interesting expansion packs.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster

Postby Kwackman » Sat May 09, 2020 8:00 pm

blinddrew wrote:So EZ drummer is definitely sounding like the thing i need.
Has anyone here bought from Inta Audio? They seem to have a very good price on it, and two interesting expansion packs.

I got mine from Time and Space who are doing similar price for the download version.
Inta are doing a better price for the boxed version (?!) but it's out of stock.

https://www.timespace.com/collections/t ... zdrummer-2

[EDIT]
They also do bundles, EZDrummer & 2 expansion packs, different bundles have different expansions.
https://www.timespace.com/collections/t ... mer+bundle
Kwackman
Frequent Poster
Cubase, guitars.

Postby Humble Bee » Sat May 09, 2020 8:13 pm

Sorry for beting late. I have tried most of the drum vst offerings an I find ezdrummer being the one that gives the best results fast without being too complicated and I have used it since it came out.

I just wanted to say that among all the expansions for ezdrummer that I’ve bought (far too many) over the years I always comeback to the Nashville kit. I love it because it’s not too hyped and processed (some say it’s very standard sounding) as some other kits might be and it offers sticks, brushes, fingers and snares off variations (and a China crash!). It’s very versatile and can do convincing jazz up to pretty punchy rock... so try it out!

The two standard kits are very nice and you might want to work with these for a while before you start buying other expansion kits.
Humble Bee
Regular

Postby blinddrew » Sat May 09, 2020 8:21 pm

Downloads at £75 for the core and £25 for the expansions.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster

Postby Kwackman » Sat May 09, 2020 8:23 pm

blinddrew wrote:Downloads at £75 for the core and £25 for the expansions.
If it's the same one I found, that's the Education price? I'm not sure if you can get that unless you're at an approved education establishment?
But if you can, then that's a GREAT price!
Kwackman
Frequent Poster
Cubase, guitars.

Postby blinddrew » Sat May 09, 2020 8:27 pm

Humble Bee wrote:Sorry for beting late. I have tried most of the drum vst offerings an I find ezdrummer being the one that gives the best results fast without being too complicated and I have used it since it came out.

I just wanted to say that among all the expansions for ezdrummer that I’ve bought (far too many) over the years I always comeback to the Nashville kit. I love it because it’s not too hyped and processed (some say it’s very standard sounding) as some other kits might be and it offers sticks, brushes, fingers and snares off variations (and a China crash!). It’s very versatile and can do convincing jazz up to pretty punchy rock... so try it out!

The two standard kits are very nice and you might want to work with these for a while before you start buying other expansion kits.

Thanks HB. Will have a shufti at that one too.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster

PreviousNext