You are here

Monitor Level Drop in Focal Shape 65s

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Monitor Level Drop in Focal Shape 65s

Postby Ian Shaw » Mon May 11, 2020 1:44 pm

Hi All,

Hope someone can shed some light on this.

I was messing with some audio files in Bitwig last night, getting to know how the DAW works mostly, when I noticed all the files seems to be panned slightly to the left. I blamed myself & then Bitwig initially, thinking I'd done something by accident.

So I fired up Logic & ran a test tone to find it was still happening. I had to pan the channeI to around -20 to get the signal in the middle, so I reckon there is a 2-3 db difference from one side to the other. I swapped leads, checked my interface, etc, all the obvious stuff, & after an hour or so concluded that one of my Shape 65s is indeed louder than the other.

I've had them over a year so would have noticed this ages ago if it had always been there. There is no volume adjustment on the Shapes so the only way I could fix it was to go into my audio interface control & pan the output channel until I got. all the eq controls on the Shapes are set the same & it happens on both the balanced outputs & the unbalanced.

I'm a bit baffled. The only reported problem I can find with these monitors are the standby standby mode is a bit dodgy & I have seen that this can be bypassed by a little switch on the circuit board. I was wondering there would also be some kind of volume attenuation pot inside as well?

Anyone got any pointers on this before I contact Focal support? I don't suppose it would be easy to get them sorted out atm!

Cheers

Ian
Ian Shaw
Regular
Sent by carrier pigeon

Re: Monitor Level Drop in Focal Shape 65s

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Mon May 11, 2020 2:58 pm

The one other 'obvious check' I would do before making the phone call is to physically swap the monitors over left-right and see if the balance error swaps too, as it is possible that the apparent balance issue is actually a room acoustics issue.

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Ian Shaw » Mon May 11, 2020 3:33 pm

Hi Hugh,

Yep, I checked that this morning. It's definitely a problem with the monitor.

just checked and they are still under warranty luckily so I think Focal support is my next step.

Thanks

Ian
Ian Shaw
Regular
Sent by carrier pigeon

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Mon May 11, 2020 3:35 pm

:thumbup:
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Ian Shaw » Mon May 11, 2020 6:47 pm

Just switched them on this afternoon & everything seems fine. Maybe I've been in the house too long! :headbang:
Ian Shaw
Regular
Sent by carrier pigeon

Postby Ian Shaw » Tue May 12, 2020 5:57 pm

Ok. so this is weird.

When I first switch on the monitors the sound ( a mono source looped) comes from the centre as normal. Over a period of time it shifts about a foot to the left. It seems my right-hand monitor drops in volume as it warms up!

I've switched the offending monitor off & on again. The signal starts in the middle & slowly moves left in about 10 seconds!

Anyone come across this before?!!!
Ian Shaw
Regular
Sent by carrier pigeon

Postby blinddrew » Tue May 12, 2020 6:52 pm

That sounds like time to contact Focal!
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Ian Shaw » Tue May 12, 2020 7:18 pm

blinddrew wrote:That sounds like time to contact Focal!
According to the Focal website I have to contact the dealer to arrange repair but they are 2 hours away & closed anyway, so I guess you're right.
Ian Shaw
Regular
Sent by carrier pigeon

Postby Ian Shaw » Thu May 21, 2020 2:50 pm

Just an update & some praise for my dealer, Absolute Music, my local music store a mere 2 hours away. I raised a support ticket, they got back to me within 48 hours & arranged for me to drop off my dodgy monitor at their warehouse (social distancing norms followed, of course) & borrow one of the same from their demo room in the meantime.

Felt a bit strange travelling that far from home!

A happy bunny

Ian
Ian Shaw
Regular
Sent by carrier pigeon

Postby blinddrew » Thu May 21, 2020 2:53 pm

:thumbup:
Good to hear!
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...