You are here

AMP (Fanless) Suggestions for Auratones AND Reftones?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Re: AMP (Fanless) Suggestions for Auratones AND Reftones?

Postby zenguitar » Mon May 18, 2020 10:12 pm

iasomph wrote:- Having the chance to listen to two speakers in stereo AND having the possibility to listen to just one of these two speakers (not both together) in mono. That would be possible?

That is EXACTLY what the manual described, you can program it to automatically select an individual monitor from a stereo pair when you press the mono button. Take the time to properly read through the manual I linked to.

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
When you see a fork in the road, take it.
Yogi Berra

Postby iasomph » Mon May 18, 2020 10:33 pm

zenguitar wrote:
iasomph wrote:- Having the chance to listen to two speakers in stereo AND having the possibility to listen to just one of these two speakers (not both together) in mono. That would be possible?

That is EXACTLY what the manual described, you can program it to automatically select an individual monitor from a stereo pair when you press the mono button. Take the time to properly read through the manual I linked to.

Hy Andy, have you tried it? From what I can understand reading page 24 on "smart mono" chapter, they refer to the mono single speaker (that's already connected as a single speaker and assigned to ALT1 or ALT2), or they may refer to having both speakers (assuming ALT1 or ALT2 are stereo pairs) working in mono, not just a single speaker of the pairs.

If it's like you said, how you can chose if having the left or the right speaker working in mono and the other muted?

Of course, if you can prove me wrong, I would just be happy! It would mean that the Nero could almost do all that the Drawmer MC3.1 can do, at half price point :D It would mainly miss the "band solo" section, but for half price...
iasomph
Regular

Postby iasomph » Mon May 18, 2020 10:46 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:
iasomph wrote:The Drawmer CMC3 is nice, but it seems it doesn't have the possibility to trim the various outputs....so, not possible to volume match the different speakers (such a pity, this should be a "mandatory" feature for a monitor controller), so basically it would be useless for the input gain best practices we talked about in this thread.

Rule 1: budgets bring compromises.

That particular Drawmer controller provides an overall trim facility to optimise the gain structure, but omits i dividual speaker trims as part of its budget saving. The assumption is that most of the connected speakers/amps will have their own individual sensitivity trims to allow level balancing between the different speakers sets. That seems a very reasonable and practical assumption for most users.

But other Drawmer models have individual trims if that's what you want... At higher cost.

The Drawmer MC3.1 seems great: has everything, but the price is massive...

ha ha ha! No, it really isn't! Professional monitor controllers can cost way more than that... And have more and better facilities.

I think the MC3.1 is actually extremely good value for money.

But its Rule 1, isnt it? if you don't want to pay for eveything, you don't get everything!

Also, bear in mind that most DAWs also include elaborate monitor control facilities, and while I don't advocate using their volume controls, the channel muting/mono/ stereo difference switching facilities can still be used in combination with a simpler hardware monitor controller.

H

You're right on many points Hugh! :D The word expensive may have different meanings for each of us. Now I'm thinking about my needs to control a pair of speakers + one single cube...so maybe 900€ just for this could still be a little too much. Especially thinking that I may have a similar control of them remaining in the digital domain (with all the considerations we have done before, of course). Totalmix FX is actually a good tool in this regard.

Anyway the MC3.1 is a great product for its price, I agree. But too much for my simple needs. I also know that many monitor controllers are in the 2-4k range, but I think it would be an overkill for a small home studios today.

I also have the impression that with the arrival of the Nero / Drawmer cheaper models, things have changed a little in this regard in the last few years. Some years ago there was possibly nothing of comparable quality for this price (maybe something from SPL or the Drawmer 2.1), but definitely different products than the Nero. The Nero, in my opinion, seems an amazing tool for that price, it seems to do more important things than the CMC3 for the same price or even less.

And, if it's true that you can cut out one of the two speakers and listen to just one in mono, like Andy says...actually this would position the Nero very close to the MC3.1 at half price. I got why you were so positive in your review!
iasomph
Regular

Postby zenguitar » Mon May 18, 2020 11:44 pm

Sorry iasomph,

Re-reading the manual confirms that your reading is correct. My misunderstanding was because my iD14 uses the ID Mixer app and I didn't realise that the Nero doesn't have the same app.

In the iD14 (and other iD models) the system panel of the app allows you to do assign mono to both speakers for a phantom centre image or to either the left or right speaker. It will also allow you to combine mono with polarity to cancel the Mid signal and monitor the sides signal, which is a feature Hugh finds lacking in many monitor controllers.

The control section of the iD range is actually quite powerful, so it might be worth looking at some of the range to see if one of those rather than the Nero would suit your needs.

zenguitar
When you see a fork in the road, take it.
Yogi Berra

Postby iasomph » Tue May 19, 2020 1:24 pm

Thanks for checking, Andy. I had the ID22 previously, very nice interface, indeed! But I am happy with the Babyface Pro now, on Windows it works like a rock!

Another quick question about amps and passive speakers: if we consider an amp with two channels (and two different gain rotary knobs, one for each channel) like the Samson Servo 120a or similar models, is it possible to connect a speaker to channel 1 and a different speaker to channel 2? For example an Auratone to Channel 1, and a Reftone to Channel 2? And control their volumes indipendently with the two rotary knobs of the amp? This would be bad for the speakers or for the amp since the two speakers are not the same? It could be a good way to drive both single speakers and test them, without the need of two separate amps.

Even better, if I connect each of the two amp channel inputs to different outputs of the Audient Nero controller (amp channel 1 to ALT 1 and amp channel 2 to ALT 2, and set the optimal gain reduction with the amp rotary knob for each of the two speakers, and set the monitor controller to play them always in mono), may I also decide which of the two speakers listen each time with just the touch of a button of the monitor controller, right?

Maybe this is just a crazy idea :P
iasomph
Regular

Postby Dan LB » Tue May 19, 2020 1:43 pm

iasomph wrote:is it possible to connect a speaker to channel 1 and a different speaker to channel 2? For example an Auratone to Channel 1, and a Reftone to Channel 2? And control their volumes indipendently with the two rotary knobs of the amp?

No problem at all. A 2 channel amp is exactly that - 2 channels. They *can* be used to power stereo speakers but they’ll be just as happy driving dual mono speakers. As long as each speaker falls within the rated impedance, then you won’t have any issues.

Some 2 channel amps can be used in ‘bridged’ mode, which basically turns the 2 channels into 1 more powerful channel - you don’t want to use this mode.

This would be bad for the speakers or for the amp since the two speakers are not the same?

Again, no problem

It could be a good way to drive both single speakers and test them, without the need of two separate amps.

Indeed

Even better, if I connect each of the two amp channel inputs to different outputs of the Audient Nero controller (amp channel 1 to ALT 1 and amp channel 2 to ALT 2, and set the optimal gain reduction with the amp rotary knob for each of the two speakers, and set the monitor controller to play them always in mono), may I also decide which of the two speakers listen each time with just the touch of a button of the monitor controller, right?

Maybe this is just a crazy idea :P

Nope, not a crazy idea - it's what monitor controllers are for!

The only crazy idea I can see is wanting to use two different types of grotbox when one will suffice, especially as they’re variants of the same thing ;)
Dan LB
Frequent Poster

Postby Dan LB » Tue May 19, 2020 2:55 pm

That last line is a joke btw. No offence intended :thumbup:
Dan LB
Frequent Poster

Postby iasomph » Tue May 19, 2020 5:33 pm

Dan LB wrote:That last line is a joke btw. No offence intended :thumbup:

No offense at all! I think you are right...but since I have to decide which of the two speakers keep and learn....would be nice to test them at the same time, without having to buy two amps for this :D

Thanks for your great help!
iasomph
Regular

Postby Dan LB » Tue May 19, 2020 11:14 pm

FWIW I drive a single Avantone from one side of a Quad 520f and it does the job well. My main monitors are Neumann KH120s. They are both controlled by an Audient iD22. Between the two of them I can produce mixes that translate quite well to other systems but I always check in the car too (I listen to music a lot in the car so I’m very familiar with it) and inevitably there’s something to change. The reason for this is that my room is not letting me hear what I need to (I’m currently using a minimally treated spare bedroom). Room acoustics are way more important than the difference between the Auratones and the Reftones. So I’d say just pick either one (not both) and use it, but make sure your room is sorted above all else. :thumbup:
Dan LB
Frequent Poster

Postby Arpangel » Wed May 20, 2020 9:38 am

Weren’t Quad 405's used a lot to drive Auratones? I know mine was, as it was fitted with two volume knobs on the back so the previous owner could adjust levels to them.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Wed May 20, 2020 10:40 am

Yes, and 303s. Amazing how often those old hi-fi Quad amps turned up in lo-fi studio applications!
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Arpangel » Wed May 20, 2020 11:09 am

Hugh Robjohns wrote:Yes, and 303s. Amazing how often those old hi-fi Quad amps turned up in lo-fi studio applications!

Yes, I wish mine didn’t have the volume knobs though. I suppose it would be a simple job to bypass them, but he's drilled holes, shame.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Wed May 20, 2020 11:57 am

Take the pots out and rewire as necessary, and then fill the holes with rubber bungs or screw on a blacking plate.

The blanking grommets in a kit like this can be very useful for that sort of restoration work!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Aussel-Electrical-Conductor-Assortment-Protecting/dp/B0749K9JM9/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=blanking+grommets&qid=1589972186&s=diy&sr=1-3
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Arpangel » Wed May 20, 2020 12:09 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:Take the pots out and rewire as necessary, and then fill the holes with rubber bungs or screw on a blacking plate.

The blanking grommets in a kit like this can be very useful for that sort of restoration work!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Aussel-Electrical-Conductor-Assortment-Protecting/dp/B0749K9JM9/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=blanking+grommets&qid=1589972186&s=diy&sr=1-3

Thanks Hugh, good idea, anything lock-down project underway!

:thumbup:
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby James Perrett » Wed May 20, 2020 2:52 pm

Arpangel wrote:
Hugh Robjohns wrote:Yes, and 303s. Amazing how often those old hi-fi Quad amps turned up in lo-fi studio applications!

Yes, I wish mine didn’t have the volume knobs though. I suppose it would be a simple job to bypass them, but he's drilled holes, shame.

Before you go taking the pots out remember that the standard 405 is much too sensitive for a typical mixer output so you may well need some kind of internal attenuator anyway. My 405 is fed via a home made attenuator adaptor.

Of course, if you really want to get into things you could change the circuit around the input op-amp to reduce the sensitivity but be aware that the 405 circuit is fairly cleverly designed and relies on various parts of the circuit having the right time constants for stability so any mods need to take this into account.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

PreviousNext