You are here

best DAW

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

best DAW

Postby Omino » Wed May 20, 2020 5:05 pm

hi guys i need help to get more response for University/collage assignment can do me favour on filling the quick survey it will only take a minute to complete
thanks

https://forms.gle/RP4duTBwc1QvAQcu9
Omino

Re: best DAW

Postby Sam Spoons » Wed May 20, 2020 5:25 pm

Done, and yes it did only take a minute :thumbup:

You ask the question "which is the best DAW for beginners?" but don't give an opportunity to answer it.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby The Elf » Wed May 20, 2020 5:26 pm

Neither Pro Tools or Cubase (amongst others) in the first list...

i'm afraid I lost faith at that point!
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby John Willett » Thu May 21, 2020 10:27 am

I started off with Fast Eddie in the 1990's.

There are lots of great DAWs missing from the list - Samplitude is excellent an d totally missing, for example.

If the questions is what did you use when you started, older DAW software options should have been included, some of which no longer exist.
John Willett
Jedi Poster
John
Sound-Link ProAudio
Circle Sound Services
Sound-Link are UK Distributors for: Microtech Gefell, ME-Geithain, AETA, HUM, Håkan, Meyer Turtle

Postby Sam Spoons » Thu May 21, 2020 11:05 am

I actually started with a Yamaha Music Computer CX5M (it had a two operator DX synth engine IIRC) but as it's sequencer only did midi I wouldn't consider it a DAW as such.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Eddy Deegan » Thu May 21, 2020 1:22 pm

My first 'proper' music software was Steinberg Pro 12 which I bought at one of the Computer shows at Alexandra Palace in the '80s.

(I couldn't afford Pro 24!)

No audio at that point, but you can't have everything :tongue:
Eddy Deegan
Some of my works.
Please consider supporting the SOS Forum Album project.

Postby James Perrett » Thu May 21, 2020 1:54 pm

John Willett wrote:If the questions is what did you use when you started, older DAW software options should have been included, some of which no longer exist.

At least he included the option of Other and then a space for you to enter the name. There are probably quite a few of us who have never used anything in the list so it is a sign of a well designed survey that we are catered for.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby The Elf » Thu May 21, 2020 1:57 pm

I began on Commodore 64 (was that Pro-16?). Then it was a suped-up Atari ST.

I recall SOS loaning me an Atari Falcon that could record 8 stereo audio tracks alongside MIDI. It blew my mind! :o
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby DC-Choppah » Thu May 21, 2020 4:53 pm

Voyetra Sequencer Plus was my first. I used it along with a TASCAM four track. Was that a DAW?

Does anyone still use Voyetra? That would be cool, to get that running inside ProTools!
DC-Choppah
Frequent Poster

Postby MOF » Thu May 21, 2020 5:10 pm

No audio at that point, but you can't have everything :tongue:

I started with Pro24, I didn’t know there was a Pro12. I quickly upgraded to Cubase when that came out for its logical, to me, arrange page. I struggled with the loop based approach of Pro24.
Strictly speaking I started out with something on the Sinclair Spectrum, so long ago I can’t remember what it was called, but I do recall it involved soldering up a kit for midi conversion that didn’t work.
MOF
Frequent Poster

Postby innerchord » Thu May 21, 2020 8:06 pm

Eddy Deegan wrote:My first 'proper' music software was Steinberg Pro 12 which I bought at one of the Computer shows at Alexandra Palace in the '80s.
(I couldn't afford Pro 24!)

I was probably there too! :wave:

I recall shady-looking guys trading cracked copies outside...
innerchord
Regular

Postby Dave B » Thu May 21, 2020 9:10 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:I actually started with a Yamaha Music Computer CX5M (it had a two operator DX synth engine IIRC) but as it's sequencer only did midi I wouldn't consider it a DAW as such.

It was full 4 operator FM on the CX5M - I used to use one at secondary school and learned FM programming on it. Then promptly forgot it when I got into analogue synths. Yes I know that's the wrong way round...

:)
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)

Postby Sam Spoons » Thu May 21, 2020 9:23 pm

Thanks, it was a long time ago....... :blush:
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby James Perrett » Thu May 21, 2020 10:08 pm

DC-Choppah wrote:Voyetra Sequencer Plus was my first. I used it along with a TASCAM four track. Was that a DAW?

Does anyone still use Voyetra? That would be cool, to get that running inside ProTools!

Voyetra was my first computer sequencer too - and it spoilt me for just about every other piece of music software because it was so reliable. It never crashed - and it was in use in the studio nearly every day. There's another ex-Voyetra user around here too (hint - take a look at the editorial in some of the early SOS issues). I wouldn't consider a sequencer as a DAW though.

Voyetra's first DAW was Digital Orchestrator Plus which I also used for a while. The audio side was fairly primitive but it was easier than running SAW (my first DAW) alongside Sequencer Plus when I wanted MIDI and audio together.

At one point you could download Sequencer Plus for free from Voyetra but I can't see that download any more - although while searching I found that someone had got it running on a Raspberry Pi.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby Mike Stranks » Fri May 22, 2020 8:00 am

... and I'm still left wondering if the O/P is intending to print-off, cut-out, and stick the responses on a bigger piece of paper before submitting his thesis... ;)
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Next