You are here

Preamp first akg c414 xl II

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Preamp first akg c414 xl II

Postby jrpaigs » Thu May 21, 2020 2:25 am

I have a akg c414 xl II mic That i use for hip hop and r&b vocals. I am running it through an pro mpa II preamp. I am interested in upgrading to a better preamp. Please reply with suggestions
jrpaigs

Re: Preamp first akg c414 xl II

Postby zenguitar » Thu May 21, 2020 2:53 am

Welcome to the SOS forums.

The first question is... What is it that you feel is wrong with your recordings, and what makes you think that a change of pre-amp (you will notice that I said 'change' and not 'upgrade') will make any difference?

Without that info, it's highly unlikely that we can help. And experience suggests that the problem doesn't lie with your pre-amp or mic. If there's something wrong, you can be reasonably sure that the problem lies with your performance, your room, or your working practices.

Trust me on this, we've been though questions like this many, many, times over the last few decades. Tell us a great deal more about what you are seeking to achieve, what you feel is wrong, and a great deal about your recording environment.

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
When you see a fork in the road, take it.
Yogi Berra

Re: Preamp first akg c414 xl II

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Thu May 21, 2020 11:09 am

Couldn't have said it better myself!

And although the Pro MPA II doesn't have the Neve or API badges, it's actually a surprisingly good preamp. We used one in a shoot out recording piano music and it faired astonishingly well in the blind listening tests.

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/pick-preamp
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound