You are here

Recording backing track from computer for singing practice

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Recording backing track from computer for singing practice

Postby petercu » Thu May 21, 2020 10:22 pm

Hi,

I am currently using Cakewalk to record my singing practice. I have a USB96 as A/D converter, this takes input from the mixer (mixing keyboard, microphone etc) However what I want to do is to take the computer output (eg Spotify) and output that from the USB96 into the mixer Behringer Q802USB also; when I do this there is feedback. (Which I guess I should have expected).

Is it possible to do what I want to do which is to use digital output of computer into USB96 as a backing track into my mixer and then record this in Cakewalk - or do I need some more equipment.

Thanks for any suggestions
petercu

Re: Recording backing track from computer for singing practice

Postby The Elf » Fri May 22, 2020 7:16 am

I'd suggest *less* gear, not more! I can't see why you have chosen to have the mixer *and* an additional audio interface? From what I can see the mixer has USB connectivity, and would plug straight into your computer.

That said, I would use a loopback to record the output of the computer back to itself - and switch off the DAW's monitoring to avoid feedback. The free Voicemeeter software is a good option for creating a recording loopback.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby ef37a » Fri May 22, 2020 7:46 am

Try this,
Right click on the speaker icon bottom right and find 'Volume Mixer'. Id there a fader marked 'Stereo Mix!? If so mute it and that should kill the echo.

You can record Spotify or indeed any sounds going through the PC with Audacity, set Preferences to 'Loop back'.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby petercu » Fri May 22, 2020 10:48 am

Hi,

Thanks, i figured out that I can use VBCable virtual cable to do it. And you're correct; my mixer can record and I didn't know.... I was alone in the music shop too long I suspect - got talked into the usb96 (it does have a midi interface - have an old synth, but there are cheaper options.
petercu