You are here

What is the most professional USB audio interface for vocal recording?!

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Re: What is the most professional USB audio interface for vocal recording?!

Postby Synthman4 » Fri May 22, 2020 4:28 pm

What's the best vocal compression to use? The built in compression of the audio interface or the software compression?
Synthman4
Poster

Postby Dynamic Mike » Fri May 22, 2020 4:40 pm

Perhaps the knowledge you seek is to be found in here https://www.soundonsound.com/forum/view ... 42#p463451
Dynamic Mike
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Keeping 2 chevrons apart

Postby Synthman4 » Fri May 22, 2020 5:35 pm

I'm buying this one... Universal Audio Apollo Twin MKII DUO
Synthman4
Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Fri May 22, 2020 6:20 pm

Synthman4 wrote:Why can't anyone give me a proper answer?

Maybe it's because you're not asking the right questions?

My production skills are good enough now, but... It just didn't seem powerful enough even when the indicator was high. Surely there are more powerful preamps than that that give a more powerful recording.

I fear your production skills still have a way to go -- at least when it comes to vocal recordings!

The perception of vocal power involves a lot more than just the peak level. I suspect the reason your vocals seem too quiet compared to your dance music arrangements is because they are not compressed adequately. Although it may also be an arrangement problem, or a performance issue...
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Synthman4 » Fri May 22, 2020 7:10 pm

Well I've decided to focus on emphasising the vocal track rather the pumping drum track. I'll have to turn down every other track in future and just apply more compression on the drums while being lower down in the mix.
Synthman4
Poster

Postby MOF » Fri May 22, 2020 8:30 pm

Well I've decided to focus on emphasising the vocal track rather the pumping drum track. I'll have to turn down every other track in future and just apply more compression on the drums while being lower down in the mix.

Yes it's all about balance, and at different points in the song some things have to give to allow other elements to feature.
As others have said you really need to spend some time learning about gain structure and lay off the vocoder effects.
MOF
Frequent Poster

Previous