You are here

TRS to TDIF - No audio sending/receiving.. MOTU 2408MK3

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Re: TRS to TDIF - No audio sending/receiving.. MOTU 2408MK3

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sat May 23, 2020 12:00 am

I was trying to think how you could use those TDIF inputs... Apart from buying an old Tascam or Yamaha console fitted with TDIF option cards, there were a few multichannel digital preamps with TDIF outputs... And you might find some on fleabay or other outlets for ancient obsolete gear...

Tascam certainly made an 8-channel preamp/converter called the MA-AD8. And I think Apogee did an eight channel TDIF converter too (Rosetta 800 maybe).

But you'll be looking at gear that is around 15-20 years old...
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby James Perrett » Sat May 23, 2020 12:11 am

The other suggestion would be to use a TDIF to ADAT convertor which would allow you to use a Behringer ADA8200 (or something better) for both inputs and outputs. Convertors like the Tascam IF-TAD seem to go for around £70 on Ebay.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby Ramirez » Sat May 23, 2020 7:28 am

Hugh Robjohns wrote:I was trying to think how you could use those TDIF inputs... Apart from buying an old Tascam or Yamaha console fitted with TDIF option cards, there were a few multichannel digital preamps with TDIF outputs... And you might find some on fleabay or other outlets for ancient obsolete gear...

Tascam certainly made an 8-channel preamp/converter called the MA-AD8. And I think Apogee did an eight channel TDIF converter too (Rosetta 800 maybe).

But you'll be looking at gear that is around 15-20 years old...

There is the old RME ADI-8 Pro as well. We have a few of these still in use and working well with ADAT and TDIF.

Fair point that a huge ugly old mixer is not the most sensible way of getting 8 signals in!

Michael, I’ll PM you regarding rhat deleted message anyway.
Ramirez
Frequent Poster
www.stiwdiosain.cymru

Postby andy cross » Sat May 23, 2020 3:41 pm

Is there any reason why you can't use the 3x 8-channel ADAT i/o on the MOTU?
andy cross
Regular

Previous