You are here

Neat Worker Bee?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Neat Worker Bee?

Postby Mike Stranks » Sun May 24, 2020 4:23 pm

I'm thinking of spending just a little on a LDC (or something masquerading as an LDC!) to use for spoken word during this time I'm churning out augmented audio to support people through lockdown.

(For the avoidance of doubt, 'just a little' means less than £100. As soon as lockdown is fully done, it's back into retirement for me, so no point in spending a significant sum on something that will only have short-term use. Some may be saying, "Hang on, I thought you owned an X, Y or Z." or even "What about that 'R' I sold you?" Well they've all gone, because I'd retired and liquidated many of my assets.)

So... I was thinking of that old favourite the AT2020 when I came across the Worker Bee now being heavily discounted.

Does anyone have experience of this mic - or even own one? There are a few video reviews about and I know that Paul White reviewed it and its larger sibling. One of the problems I have is that the user-comments that can be found via Google are an aggregation of those for the WB and the KB - frequently not specifying which.

So just comments on this mic please... I'm aware of what else is available thanks.

Of course if anyone has a latest-edition NT1 going for about £70... :lol:
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Re: Neat Worker Bee?

Postby Random Guitarist » Sun May 24, 2020 11:52 pm

If you are bent on re-entering retirement is a purchase best, or would a loan be better?
Random Guitarist
Frequent Poster
I've never liked a solo violin, you need at least five for a proper fire.

Postby innerchord » Mon May 25, 2020 5:26 am

Whilst an AT2020 might be fine (although not my choice), if it's going to be temporary why not buy a used Neumann and sell it afterwards at the same price?
innerchord
Regular

Postby Mike Stranks » Mon May 25, 2020 8:39 am

This place is something special!

:clap: :thumbup:

I've had two offers of very decent mics on loan for a few months... one of which I've accepted.

I wasn't expecting that - but on reflection it's typical of the supportive attitude of very many of the regulars here.

Thanks guys!
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby Arpangel » Mon May 25, 2020 8:45 am

Mike Stranks wrote:This place is something special!

:clap: :thumbup:

I've had two offers of very decent mics on loan for a few months... one of which I've accepted.

I wasn't expecting that - but on reflection it's typical of the supportive attitude of very many of the regulars here.

Thanks guys!

I was just going to say Mike, you could have borrowed one of mine, but I’ve been beaten to it.
Best of luck with your retirement.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby ConcertinaChap » Tue May 26, 2020 8:38 pm

I was looking for a mic that was cheap but decent to use when I didn't want to use one of my more expensive mics. You put me on to the worker bee mic, Mike, with this thread and I've bought one so many thanks for that.

So, I gather you're expecting to retire from this game at the end of lockdown. Understandable but it would be a shame if you disappeared off the forum again. To counter this possibility I propose that Sound On Sound create the honorary ranking of Sound Engineer Emeritus and make Mike the first recipient of this award. Once that appears below his name on posts how can he refuse to stay a member of our community?

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
We are normal and we want our freedom!.

Postby Mike Stranks » Tue May 26, 2020 10:05 pm

Ah! I shall be interested to hear what you think of it CC...

Yes; I fully intend to slope-off again once I'm back in retirement... there's only so much excitement a bloke can stand! :lol:
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Tue May 26, 2020 10:45 pm

I too think it would be a shame if you left us again Mike. I appreciate your common sense and perceptive posts.

I like to think us 'experienced' sound guys can still make useful contributions and you, especially, have a wealth of knowledge to share.

BTW I was expecting to use the Fostex passive volume control you gifted me this week but the current situation has resulted in the cancellation of the dance festival, the first time it hasn't run in 54 years (and Gwyn's first May Bank Holiday Monday off in all that time, her mother started the festival and Gwyn danced at the first one). It will happen next year I'm sure.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby ConcertinaChap » Tue May 26, 2020 10:50 pm

Mike Stranks wrote:Yes; I fully intend to slope-off again once I'm back in retirement... there's only so much excitement a bloke can stand! :lol:

But once you're in retirement you're going to need a bit of excitement to prevent the brain cells ossifying ... mine as well as yours :)

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster

Postby ConcertinaChap » Thu May 28, 2020 8:21 pm

Mike Stranks wrote:Ah! I shall be interested to hear what you think of it CC...

May take a little while. It seems to be making its way here from Madrid for reasons best known to Amazon ...

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster

Postby zenguitar » Thu May 28, 2020 8:35 pm

I ordered one yesterday and received it around 1:30pm this afternoon.

Unboxed it, but not yet plugged in as cables, stands, and monitors are all packed away for the next few months. As well as anything other than my mouth to point it at. But looking forward to playing with it in due course.

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
When you see a fork in the road, take it.
Yogi Berra

Postby Mike Stranks » Fri May 29, 2020 8:55 am

... and the alternative mic loaned to me by a fellow-forumite is duly installed... doing its stuff very nicely indeed!

So thanks again fellow-forumite! :thumbup:

Now if someone could just loan me one of those SSL SiX jobbies... :lol: :lol:
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby Arpangel » Fri May 29, 2020 9:19 am

HHHmmm? these Bee mic's look interesting, I’m almost swayed by the SOS review, could be a useful mic to have around.
This could also "bee" the excuse I needed to buy a Behringer WASP.

:D
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby ConcertinaChap » Fri May 29, 2020 11:31 am

Try and hold back, you'll just get stung.

(Yes, I know, but someone had to say it).

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Fri May 29, 2020 12:01 pm

There was an old man of St. Bees,
Who was stung in the arm by a wasp,
When asked, "Does it hurt?"
He replied, "No, it doesn't,
I'm so glad it wasn't a hornet."
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Next