You are here

Multiple Input Sources

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Multiple Input Sources

Postby trash116 » Tue May 26, 2020 1:02 pm

Hi there,
I was after some advice if possible.

I run my DAW into my audio interface (RME Fireface) then into my studio monitors.

Seperately i have a turntable (numark PT01 scratch) which i run into an Akai AMX controller, which outputs to my HIFI amp and then HIFI speakers.

I make beats in my DAW and scratch over the top of them through the numark TT.

I want to change this set-up so the output of the numark TT goes into the Akai AMX then into my studio monitors, and be able to play the beats from my DAW and the TT output at the same time.

I want to do this on a budget/cheap solution.

Could somebody advise on best solution?

I originally thought of the mackie big knob passive - as this has 2 inputs - but i've been told you have to select input 1 or input 2, and they cant run simultaneously.

I have been advised an ART SPLITMix4 Four-channel Passive Splitter/Mixer would be a good solution.

I've also been advised a small mixer would do the job - but i dont really have the space for one. I think i actually have an old mackie vlz in the loft - but size is an issue - an i also wondered would a mixer colour the sound?

Sorry the length and rambling nature, i've tried to give as much info as possible.
Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
M
trash116
Poster

Re: Multiple Input Sources

Postby James Perrett » Tue May 26, 2020 1:07 pm

Can you not plug the AMX into the Fireface and then use Totalmix to route it to the the speakers? Or do you want to avoid using the computer?
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Re: Multiple Input Sources

Postby CS70 » Tue May 26, 2020 1:16 pm

If your AMX is going into your Hifi amp, it's gotta have line level analogue outputs (it doesn't have digital output, does it?) - from the pics it looks like it's RCA outputs.

Simply plug them in a two spare line inputs of the Fireface - you won't need to buy anything more than RCA to jack adapters as the Fireface is unlikely to have RCA inputs like the Hifi amp has.

If you do that the AMX output will be simply another source for the RME so Totalmix will allow you to route what you want where you want in software (or you can get the ARC controller and have three different snapshots for the 1, 2 and combined at the push of a button).

If you want to go a hardware route, yes you will need a way to mix the two sources, so some sort of mixer. Monitor controllers usually allow you multiple sources but one at a time (i.e. they are not mixers).
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page