You are here

What Should or Shouldn't I Be Doing?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

What Should or Shouldn't I Be Doing?

Postby Paulzmyname » Tue May 26, 2020 8:14 pm

Hello all! New to the forum here. Looking for a little bit of advice on setting up a basic home studio. I just picked up 2 KRK Rokit 5 G4s, PreSonus Studio24 Audio Interface, and a Mackie CR8S-XBT 8. Very near fielded and basic computer desk setup against wall and corner of the room. I also have a set of M-Audio AV32s I was thinking of stacking on-top of the KRKs? All speakers are powered, but the Krks use the 3.5mm jack outputs and the M-Audio use the R/W output cords. Not sure what else I can do to help sound quality and if this setup is ideal? Just Krks and sub without the m-audio? Last question I have is volume setting. The sub comes with a bass and monitor volume knob, I can also adjust volume from the computer, audio interface and m-audios. Where should all my volume settings be? Very new to this and can find much help searching Google.
Thanks a bunch,

Paul
Paulzmyname

Re: What Should or Shouldn't I Be Doing?

Postby Sam Spoons » Tue May 26, 2020 11:00 pm

Hi Paul and welcome to the forums.

My inclination would be to keep the initial setup as simple as possible and use just the KRKs and Presonus interface. The Mackie sub and M-Audio speakers will not add much (anything?) useful for now* and just complicate the setup.

There are loads of threads and articles about setting up a home studio in the forum and mag so give them a read and then come back with specific queries.

* The sub may be useful in the future but unless you have a well acoustically treated room to mix in a sub often makes it's one problems.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Paulzmyname » Wed May 27, 2020 12:37 am

Thank-you Sam, I will look around in the forum's here and get a better acoustically sound room out together.
Thanks for the help!
Paulzmyname

Postby Sam Spoons » Wed May 27, 2020 11:11 am

Getting the room treated will make a huge difference, after performance and instruments it's the next most important thing to address, add a decent mic and some knowledge you've covered 80%+ of what goes into making a good recording/mix.

Good luck
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........