You are here

Recording From a Guitar's Processor/Modeller via USB or Use Outs into Audio Interface

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Recording From a Guitar's Processor/Modeller via USB or Use Outs into Audio Interface

Postby effxz » Wed May 27, 2020 12:28 am

Hello,

Question for everyone, when you record a guitar. If the person utilizes a processor/modeller such as a Kemper/Helix/Fractal would you record from the modeller units USB out straight to the computer/DAW USB port or would you go from the modellers audio outs into the computers/DAWaudio interface? Would there be any sound quality issues or improvements from one method over another?
effxz

Re: Recording From a Guitar's Processor/Modeller via USB or Use Outs into Audio Interface

Postby Music Wolf » Wed May 27, 2020 8:07 am

I'm Windows based. I use an Audio Interface (Steinberg UR824 with AISO driver) and hook both my Kemper and Helix into that (audio out of modeller > input of AI).

I don't want to be messing around changing audio interfaces (which is what you are doing by using the USB audio out of the modeller).
Music Wolf
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Re: Recording From a Guitar's Processor/Modeller via USB or Use Outs into Audio Interface

Postby The Elf » Wed May 27, 2020 8:11 am

Recording directly from the USB output of the modeller is arguably the purest way, as it would avoid at least one additional round of D-A-A-D conversion but this assumes that you would be happy to switch drivers back and forth. If you have anything but very basic monitoring configuration set up using your main audio interface this may not be convenient.

An alternative would be to use the digital output of the modeller, but then you have the issue of clocking, which carries it own complications.

All of which explains why analogue connections are still the most friendly form of audio currency! And in reality, unless you are hearing artifacts you feel need attention, I really wouldn't worry too much about it.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.