You are here

DPA 4011 Small-Diaphragm Mics - Is A or C model best for solo piano recording..

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

DPA 4011 Small-Diaphragm Mics - Is A or C model best for solo piano recording..

Postby jamesheather » Wed May 27, 2020 10:28 am

Wondered if anyone can give me any advice. Would A or C be best for solo piano recording of the more ambient type? Also I see these mic's come with their own pre amps, there is a choice of 5. I already have a Anteloope Orion Studio Core interface, is it best to use one of their pre amps as well as my interface, and if so what might be best for recording solo piano in a 23m2 room? Thanks for any advice guys, really appreciate it.
jamesheather
Poster

Re: DPA 4011 Small-Diaphragm Mics - Is A or C model best for solo piano recording..

Postby Ariosto » Wed May 27, 2020 4:36 pm

I use a DPA 2006C omni mic(s) for recording piano and it works well. I think the 4011 might be similar. But someone else might give advice if they use the 4011.
Ariosto
Frequent Poster

Re: DPA 4011 Small-Diaphragm Mics - Is A or C model best for solo piano recording..

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Wed May 27, 2020 4:51 pm

jamesheather wrote:Would A or C be best for solo piano recording

The specs are identical. The only practical difference is the length of the microphone body, although the shorter Type C has very slightly lower headroom... not that you'll ever notice with a piano!

Also I see these mic's come with their own pre amps...

It's a Danish misnomer! They are not 'preamps' in the sense you think. They are impedance converters and line drivers in different sized packages that screw onto the capsule itself. They all provide a standard mic-level output that will feed the (real) preamp in your Antelope Orion.

However... I would question whether the 4011 is the most appropriate choice. The DPA 4000 series are lovely mics, and cardioids are often used for recording piano when close-miking. But for more natural, classical-style miking it is far more usual to use omnidirectional mics as they have a more extended low end and a more natural sound character with lass phase shifting. The DPA 4006 is the omni sibling to the 4011 and it is available with the same range of 'preamp' bodies.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Wed May 27, 2020 4:58 pm

Ariosto wrote:I use a DPA 2006C omni mic(s) for recording piano and it works well. I think the 4011 might be similar.

No, not exactly similar in technology terms, although they do share a visual family resemblance.

DPA's 2000 series mics are the low-cost entry models, and are effectively based on repackaged miniature (4060 lavalier) capsules -- with two miniature capsules in each mic to help reduce self-noise.

The original and much more expensive 4000 series mics use single, full size small diaphragm capsules derived from high-end measurement mic technology.

A lot of experienced recording engineers who hold the 4006 and 4011 in extremely high regard -- and rightly so -- and surprised and shocked to learn they are actually electret microphones with single-sided impedance-balanced outputs -- both concepts being anathema to their high-quality recording ideals! ;-)

I reviewed the whole range here: https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/dpa-ddicate
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby jamesheather » Thu May 28, 2020 9:16 am

thanks for alot for your advice guys!
jamesheather
Poster