You are here

Urgent luxury problem: RME Babyface Pro FS or ADI-2 FS + Digiface USB

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Re: Urgent luxury problem: RME Babyface Pro FS or ADI-2 FS + Digiface USB

Postby ConcertinaChap » Thu May 28, 2020 11:45 am

Eddy Deegan wrote:Apogee ruled themselves out of consideration a while ago and I never forgave them for it.

Likewise. Removed half the second hand value of my Ensemble literally overnight. I do not speak kindly of Apogee any more.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
We are normal and we want our freedom!.

Postby PianoPerson » Thu May 28, 2020 11:52 am

RME gear, by contrast, seems to do very well on the second-hand market, even relatively ancient stuff like the Fireface 400.
PianoPerson
Poster

Postby James Perrett » Thu May 28, 2020 12:17 pm

PianoPerson wrote:RME gear, by contrast, seems to do very well on the second-hand market, even relatively ancient stuff like the Fireface 400.

Even my 18 year old RME interface still has drivers that work with 32 bit Windows 10. If I'd waited a year or so I could have bought an interface that is still a current model (the HDSP9632).
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby Martin Walker » Thu May 28, 2020 2:55 pm

James Perrett wrote:
innerchord wrote:I'd love to know which would provide lower latency in case of future needs. Is modern USB-C or Thunderbolt better?

With RME gear I don't think that there is a big difference.

As many here know, I went through a lot of soul searching just before the end of 2019 before making a decision on a new audio interface.

I got lots of helpful up-to-date advice here (and of course I'd reviewed loads of interfaces over the years for SOS), and ended up choosing the RME Fireface UC, which I'm more than happy with.

I'd always been a bit suspicious of Firewire audio interface due to various compatibility problems during my reviews, and opting for Thunderbolt made things significantly more expensive, so I decided on good 'ol USB 2.0, which with RME was claimed to be close to Firewire in performance terms.

And to their credit it was - I can run the Fireface UC at the lowest 48-sample buffer size, which at 44.1kHz provides a tiny 1.5mS latency (2.1mS in the real world), and even lower at higher sample rates.

RME- rock-solid all the way!

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby PianoPerson » Thu May 28, 2020 3:15 pm

Very interesting, especially given the fact that the UC came on the market around a decade ago.

With my current, ageing computer, I can't really run my BF with small buffer sizes on things like Pianoteq 6 (only if I keep polyphony down and don't play anything too complicated).

But with a new PC, this shouldn't be a problem. So latency would still be very low. As other posters have pointed out, with the new BF Pro FS, I'd gain less than a millisecond for virtual instruments. Does that mean it's not any faster than the Fireface UC?

So maybe I should hang on to my old Babyface for the time being. And get the Drawmer CMC2, to be rid of that rotary encoder and the weedy headphone output.
PianoPerson
Poster

Postby ConcertinaChap » Thu May 28, 2020 3:31 pm

PianoPerson wrote: And get the Drawmer CMC2

That's a move you won't regret either. Drawmer make cracking kit and support it right down the line.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster

Postby PianoPerson » Thu May 28, 2020 3:42 pm

That's good to know. I have bad experiences with cheap, passive volume controls -- crackling volume pots after 3 months et cetera.
PianoPerson
Poster

Postby ConcertinaChap » Thu May 28, 2020 8:32 pm

I speak from experience here. After I'd had my MC2.1 for a couple of years it developed a weird fault in that a relay kept rattling audibly, but it was a flaky, it would never happen when the unit was on their premises (always the way). In the end they replaced the mother board and the problem was permanently cured. The only cost to me was postage to their premises even though the unit was out of warranty. The people I talked to weren't clones in a call centre but their service manager and the like. I have never been so impressed by a company's after-sales support. Good people.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster

Postby PianoPerson » Thu May 28, 2020 9:16 pm

That is indeed impressive -- and reassuring.
PianoPerson
Poster

Previous