You are here

Monitors - Pioneer

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Monitors - Pioneer

Postby Ramirez » Fri May 29, 2020 5:40 pm

Does anyone have any experience with the newer Pioneer monitors?

Bax-Shop are offering the RM-05 at a seemingly awesome deal. Am I going to regret moving on my AE22 and going for a smaller pair like this? I had always assumed that I'd go Neumann if I ever changed the AE22, but these are tempting. I know Pioneer aren't the first name that comes to mind when thinking of quality monitors, but when a reviewer of Phil Ward's expertise is so full of praise, it's hard to ignore it.

He says of the RM07:

"it’s really, really good — way better, indeed, than you’d expect at the price."
(and that is at a stated price of over £1100)

"of all the recent nearfield monitors I’ve tried it’s actually my favourite — not just because it works so well and fundamentally does the job, but because it seems to me to represent genuine, thoughtful, ‘old-school’ and skilful electroacoustic engineering of great integrity and quality."

"All the qualities needed for a trustworthy mix tool."

And of the RM-05:

Does its undoubted build quality and classy electro-acoustic design result in as successful a monitoring package as the RM‑07? The short answer is, yes, it’s equally impressive, and at its significantly lower price than the RM‑07, perhaps even more so.
(Again, referring a stated price of £1000, putting it in direct competition of Neumann's KH120 and KH80 DSP)

its ability to deliver clarity and detail is up there with the best

So, are these really in the league of Neumanns, as Phil Ward's reviews seem to suggest, and would they be a step up from my AE22? It's only the smaller RM05 that can be had for cheap (just over £300 for a pair!), and I suspect the larger RM07 would be a fairer comparison to the AE22.

The truth is, I ordered the RM05 on an impulse buy, changed my mind, and now they're sat here waiting to be returned. I have no way of comparing directly to the AE22 as I can't go to the studio at the moment. And I don't want to open them, set them up, and then pack them up again if I don't have anything decent to compare them to.

Worth also bearing in mind that resale value of AE22s are quite low at the moment and would probably only cover the purchase of the new Pioneers, so I'm not going to going financially here. Also, I have absolutely no need for both, as these will be well down the pecking order at the studio, or the main (and only) decent pair in my home setup if/when I decide to rebuild it.
Ramirez
Frequent Poster
www.stiwdiosain.cymru

Re: Monitors - Pioneer

Postby Ramirez » Wed Jun 03, 2020 2:04 pm

I’ll give this one bump before it sinks...
Ramirez
Frequent Poster
www.stiwdiosain.cymru

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:11 pm

Sorry, not heard them so can't offer a valid opinion of my own. However, I certainly trust Phil's opinion when it comes to the sound quality of monitor speakers.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Sam Inglis » Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:16 pm

I've not heard them either, but I'm certainly tempted! Sounds like they might be ideal for location recording even if one had larger speakers in the studio.
Sam Inglis

Postby Ramirez » Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:57 pm

I’ve decided to keep them. If they go back to full price I could probably sell them at no loss in the future anyway!

Just opened one of the boxes... first impression - SERIOUS build quality! Must be the heaviest 5” speaker I’ve ever come across.

They’re not pretty.
Ramirez
Frequent Poster
www.stiwdiosain.cymru