You are here

Need New Headphones

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Need New Headphones

Postby Rich Hanson » Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:36 pm

One of the drivers in my HD25 phones has died (I've done a few tests to confirm that it isn't the cable or the connectors).

So to help me weigh up the pros and cons of replacing the driver (~£50) vs buying new phones, are there any recommended phones? Around the $30 mark of course (just kidding :bouncy:)

Somebody did recommend a decent pair that was on discount from somewhere in a thread recently but my searches didn't turn up anything useful (the noise from a certain pair of threads was too much!!)
Rich Hanson
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Re: Need New Headphones

Postby Kwackman » Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:42 pm

AKG K702 from Scan?
This is a list from their site, top of the table...
https://www.scan.co.uk/shop/music-and-p ... headphones
Kwackman
Frequent Poster
Cubase, guitars.

Postby Eddy Deegan » Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:51 pm

Another recommendation for them here. I'm very fond of my AKG K702 set. They are also extraordinarily comfortable to wear for long periods of time and I think there's a lot to be said for that.

I think they represent great value for money, especially these days.
Eddy Deegan
Some of my works.
Please consider supporting the SOS Forum Album project.

Postby Rich Hanson » Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:06 pm

Aha, yes that was it, thanks muchly.

I could really do without spending more money at the moment. Blinkin' bloody technology!!! Hey ho, that's what credit cards are for, innit :roll:
Rich Hanson
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby John Willett » Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:23 pm

Sennheiser have a standard repair charge for the headphones - so get them sorted at Sennheiser - if they need new earpads / headband pads, etc. they will be included in the same price.

I don't know why you were recommended the 702 as it's a totally different type of headphones and, in no way, will do the job the HD 25 do.

My own HD 25 are over 30 yeras old and still going strong - so get them sorted now and they will last you until at least 2050. :thumbup:
John Willett
Jedi Poster
John
Sound-Link ProAudio
Circle Sound Services
Sound-Link are UK Distributors for: Microtech Gefell, ME-Geithain, AETA, HUM, Håkan, Meyer Turtle

Postby Rich Hanson » Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:43 pm

Oh I know the HD25s are closed back and the AKGs are open back. This isn't an issue for me: as I use them more for mixing than tracking open backs would be better.

And just looked, Sennheiser's flat rate repair fee is £66.
Rich Hanson
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby John Willett » Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:53 pm

Rich Hanson wrote:Oh I know the HD25s are closed back and the AKGs are open back. This isn't an issue for me: as I use them more for mixing than tracking open backs would be better.

That's not a bad price for headphones that sold for over £200 - and they do everything for that price - so, unless you replaced them recently, I would suggest getting the earpads and/or headband pads done as well. :thumbup:
John Willett
Jedi Poster
John
Sound-Link ProAudio
Circle Sound Services
Sound-Link are UK Distributors for: Microtech Gefell, ME-Geithain, AETA, HUM, Håkan, Meyer Turtle

Postby Dynamic Mike » Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:42 am

Replacement parts for 702's are difficult to find & stupidly expensive. I love mine but don't think of them as a long term investment, AGK don't offer the same level of support as Sennheiser. But at Scan's refurb prices it probably doesn't matter so much.
Dynamic Mike
Frequent Poster (Level2)
'Cause the law don't change another's mind

Postby Martin Walker » Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:26 am

Indeed - the B stock 'Factory Refurbished' K702's at Scan are just £74.99 with free delivery, which makes it less of an obvious choice between the two :round1:

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Dan LB » Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:38 am

John Willett wrote:
Rich Hanson wrote:Oh I know the HD25s are closed back and the AKGs are open back. This isn't an issue for me: as I use them more for mixing than tracking open backs would be better.

That's not a bad price for headphones that sold for over £200 - and they do everything for that price - so, unless you replaced them recently, I would suggest getting the earpads and/or headband pads done as well. :thumbup:

But they can be bought new now for only £88
https://www.thomann.de/gb/sennheiser_hd ... ImVuIn0%3D

So not really a great price for a repair anymore (75% of the new price)

88 quid is a bloody bargain though!
Dan LB
Frequent Poster

Postby Rich Hanson » Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:07 am

Indeed, I bought my HD25s for a little over £100 about five years ago.

It's going to have to wait until after next pay day anyway so if AKGs are no longer available then I'll just suck it up and go for the repair.
Rich Hanson
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Mike Stranks » Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:22 am

I'll see your £88... and quote £87 from Sennheiser themselves - including VAT and Delivery.

Should beat Thomann handsomely as with T you'll be paying their 10 euro delivery charge...

BUT...

There are HD25s and HD25s...

The 'pro' version (almost certainly the ones JW is referencing and used by pro sound people worldwide) is still about double the price:

https://en-uk.sennheiser.com/hd-25-plus

Best to be sure we're comparing apples with apples... :)
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby Pete Kaine » Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:54 am

Mike Stranks wrote:and quote £87 from Sennheiser themselves - including VAT and Delivery.

We're also matching that deal currently.

Another 20+ years owner, with 10 of those spent gigging with them. Even with the ever-growing pile of headphones by my desk, still seeing a surprising amount of use. They easily prove the point that simply knowing your kit can often prove more important than the technical specs on paper.

The AkG refurb outlet thing we've been doing for a few years now, I'm not aware of it stopping any time soon but they do tend to show up as and when they have the time to process them.
Pete Kaine
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Kit to fuel your G.A.S - https://www.scan.co.uk/shop/pro-audio

Postby Rich Hanson » Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:59 am

According to their comparison the only difference between the HD25 model that I have and the HD25 Plus is an extra cable and extra earpads are included along with a carry bag. The plus' cable is also twice the length.

The other specifications given on their respective pages are identical.
Rich Hanson
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Mike Stranks » Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:34 am

Rich Hanson wrote:According to their comparison the only difference between the HD25 model that I have and the HD25 Plus is an extra cable and extra earpads are included along with a carry bag. The plus' cable is also twice the length.

The other specifications given on their respective pages are identical.

Fair enough... could be that Sennheiser have simplified things... I remember at some point Hugh gave a comprehensive run-down of all the options and IIRC there were definite technical differences then.

I like my (Scan refurb) 702s a lot... excellent value and good cans...
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Next