You are here

MIDI expression pedal issue

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

MIDI expression pedal issue

Postby tsd1980 » Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:23 pm

Hi all,

I pulled up an in-progress Studio One session today and noticed my expression pedal - assigned to CC1 - was acting strangely. I closed out, pulled up Kontakt and just tried an 8Dio patch, and the same thing happened: the pedal, heel down, should be at 0 but was at a little more than half.

It goes to full just fine. But it never returns to zero...always around 65-70. If I use the mod wheel, I can get to zero, but not the pedal.

This literally happened overnight. Any thoughts? Or do I need a new pedal?

The pedal is a basic Proline - not nice, but problem free until now
My keyboard is an Arturia KeyLab 88, which is updated
Running Windows 10, which is recently updated
And whether I was in Studio One, Kontakt, Play as a standalone, the issue was the same.
tsd1980

Re: MIDI expression pedal issue

Postby The Elf » Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:37 pm

This sounds like the classic symptom of expression pedal incompatibility.

As to why this seems to have happened suddenly... :?: Presumably you've checked that the pedal is connected properly? Could it be you've just not noticed before? CC1 for a pedal is a strange choice - have you selected this option recently and it's maybe unmasked an extant problem?

You may be able to fix it by swapping over two connections (typically ring/tip) between pedal and socket, or it may be you will need a pedal with a different resistance. if you can rustle up a quick test (I use a couple of crocodile clips) then the first option is the simple one to try.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby tsd1980 » Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:51 pm

Everything I know about MIDI is trial and error...so who knows how I settled on CC1 being attached to the pedal.

The good news: it has miraculously started working after your first suggestion! Thank you.

If it acts up again, I'll holler.
tsd1980

Postby Eddy Deegan » Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:51 pm

Edit: I see The Elf has beaten me to it and diagnosed the issue (he is wise!), but I'll leave the below in case it's useful for anyone else at a later date.

Hello tsd, welcome to the forum :-)

A couple of things spring to mind which it might be worth double-checking in the first instance.

The Keylab 88 does have the capability to set minimum and maxumum values for any controller and although this is unlikely to be the cause, it should be eliminated as a possibility.

In USER mode, if you press and hold the USER button for a second or two you should enter edit mode (the light on the button will start flashing). When prompted to on the screen, move the controller pedal to select it.

Now look at the keys at the top of the keyboard and find the ones marked "Min/LSB" and "Max/MSB". Press the keys to see the values. These can be used to restrict the range of values that the controller will operate within. Double check to make sure these are set to 0 and 127 respectively.

If the Min/LSB value is showing as anything other than 0 then this could explain why it will never drop below that configured value.

Another possibility is that there is a similar range restriction set up in Studio One. I happen to have bought Studio One only the other day but I've not used it enough to be able to identify where that might be, so I'll leave that with you as an exercise to check for yourself (or someone else might be able to help).

Finally, once you've eliminated the Arturia and software controller restrictions as possible root causes I would check the pedal itself.

Do you have any other keyboard you can test it on to see if it's only the Arturia that is affected? If so, then I would do that first.

If not, then it could be that the encoder in the Proline pedal is dirty or faulty, so I would examine it closely to see if there is any cruft immediately evident. If not, then the next step would be to try and disassemble the pedal to check inside.

It could be dirt, old grease or something else fouling the mechanism or a faulty pot. At this point you can determine whether it's something you can try and clean up or repair yourself, whether it's something you could fix with a replacement potentiometer sourced to match the faulty one, or whether it's time for a new pedal.

Good luck, and let us know if you find anything you could use more input on.
Eddy Deegan
Some of my works.
Please consider supporting the SOS Forum Album project.

Postby tsd1980 » Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:54 pm

Somewhere between messing with the Arturia settings - which I think are SUPER intuitive - and trying The Elf's solution, it seems to be back up and running.

It was truly out of nowhere...I don't know what would have changed.

Thanks for chiming in.
tsd1980

Postby Eddy Deegan » Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:57 pm

You're welcome. The good news is that now I've approved your first three posts, any further posts you make will be automatically published without the need for intervention so as I said before, do feel free to follow up if you hit further issues.

Also, The Elf is the knower of most things when it comes to keyboards; you came to the right place to ask for help :thumbup:
Eddy Deegan
Some of my works.
Please consider supporting the SOS Forum Album project.

Postby The Elf » Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:36 am

Shucks! :oops:

Glad you got it working. I had a similarly strange occurrence just a couple of weeks ago, when a pair of 'technically incompatible, but they always worked' expression pedals connected to my Kurzweil workstation suddenly made it crash and re-boot every time either of them moved. I had to replace them both! :headbang:

CC1 is an odd choice for a pedal, since you would find it fighting a keyboard's modulation wheel which is the true owner of CC1. More typical would be CC11 (Expression), CC7 (I prefer to use 11 over 7 if the target responds properly - I won't bore you with the details), or CC4, which is a generic 'foot controller' number and not likely to trip over anything else.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.