You are here

SSL SIX, more questions.

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

SSL SIX, more questions.

Postby Arpangel » Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:11 am

Still thinking about this as a replacement for my Mackie in the acoustic room, for when things get back to normal and we can all play again.
In some probably futile attempt at an "upgrade" or not as the case may be, in conjunction with a new interface, but I’m a bit wary that SSL may release another small mixer with a built in interface, which would be damned annoying! These Six's are on offer all over the place, which may confirm others suspicions.
I’m not going to use the mic amps, I just need it as a good quality small mixer, to get my Moog, Reface, into the computer, the talkback would be very useful, and those compressors could be good too, probably better than anything I’ve got right now.
I’m just wondering also, what’s not included on the front panel sockets, and what’s on the D-Sub's.
I’m thinking that if quality is the main issue here, then I’m just better off going with a good high-end interface, and no mixer, as it’s not so important to have a mixer in our live room, but I do use it for live mixing sometimes, so...
But if I’m not going to use the mic inputs, then is it even worth considering at all?
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Re: SSL SIX, more questions.

Postby CS70 » Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:48 am

Arpangel wrote:I’m thinking that if quality is the main issue here, then I’m just better off going with a good high-end interface, and no mixer, as it’s not so important to have a mixer in our live room, but I do use it for live mixing sometimes, so...
But if I’m not going to use the mic inputs, then is it even worth considering at all?

Deja-vu :)

Yes, you're better off with a high-end interface. Unless you aren't, because you like the feel of a mixer. Or like to see SSL in front of you.

An high end interface will be more compact, with less cabling to go around, and probably offer more facilities. A Six with a good A/D converter will do the same job in two boxes, with the advantages and disadvantages of having two boxes, one of which has faders and SSL written over it.

It's a bit like choosing between a Taycan or a Griffith. It's really up to your preferences and nobody can tell you what they are. But the good news is that you won't go wrong either way.

For live jobs, it's usually pointless to focus on a pristine signal path (the raison d'etre of the Six) as the noise of the beer glasses quaffed by the punters will make even a 1990 Mackie sound like an angelic choir. So it's two unrelated concerns.

One thing that the Six should do is to bring SSL large desk sonics. Being so that these sonics are supposed to be total transparency, not sure what it means.. :D

Me, I like the Six and wouldn't mind having one if I had the space. But need? No.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby CS70 » Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:55 am

As of the D-Subs, the manual is pretty clear: the carry the Channel and Main
Balanced Insert Sends / Monitor outputs
and the Channel and Main
Balanced Insert Returns / Alternate Input 1 & 2
- so you can use them for inserts and secondary (duplicated) outputs and alt inputs.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:43 am

Arpangel wrote:...I’m a bit wary that SSL may release another small mixer with a built in interface...

I'm not 'in the know' but if I was an SSL product manager I would certainly be planning on releasing a mixer with a built-in interface, especially now that they have proven the two elements separately. It would be bonkers not to. No idea when or if that would happen though, let alone whether such a product would be of a similar size/format.

I’m not going to use the mic amps, I just need it as a good quality small mixer, to get my Moog, Reface, into the computer...

Then a decent multichannel interface would make far more practical sense. You could keep the sources separate for post-production for starters. And an RME interface with TotalMix would allow you to set up a talkback feed. If you want SSL compression on the way in (why?) then an Apollo interface could tick the boxes.

I’m just wondering also, what’s not included on the front panel sockets, and what’s on the D-Sub's.

:roll: Well, you could always download and read the manual, or even my review...:

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/solid-state-logic-six

I’m thinking that if quality is the main issue here, then I’m just better off going with a good high-end interface, and no mixer...

Good plan.

No.

That's another circular ten minutes I won't get back... :lolno:
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby The Elf » Thu Jun 04, 2020 5:21 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:I'm not 'in the know' but if I was an SSL product manager I would certainly be planning on releasing a mixer with a built-in interface
I very much hope you're right, Hugh....
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Arpangel » Thu Jun 04, 2020 6:23 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:
No.

That's another circular ten minutes I won't get back... :lolno:

OK, so it’s a no.
From what everyone has said here it doesn’t make sense.
Just thought I’d consider it again, as it is being priced down, but no point in getting anything no matter how good it is, just because it’s reduced, or in this case, not really needed.
I just want to have a go at getting rid of unnecessary stuff, and have a clean and simple signal path for the acoustic room, it’s mainly mic's anyway, in view of all this I’m considering a Prism Sound Titan, I know RME are an industry standard, well thought of etc etc, but I’ve tried them and they don’t suite my ears, from what I’ve heard of Prism, I’m willing to give them a try.
I’ve got really good mic’s, it seems a bit pointless not making the most of them, and this is purely for acoustic music, our piano and marimba, percussion, the synths do get used occasionally, but not much, and when I get my Rhodes situation sorted out it’ll be a mic on an amp anyway, so it will basically be all mic's most of the time.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby wdsteele » Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:14 pm

I’ve just sold some gear and was considering the Neve Portico 5017 , preamp / compressor /Di .

It’s pretty much at an identical price point to the SIX , accommodates guitar and mic and seems very appealing for my way of working : just wondering if I can consider such a purchase as good value compared to the SSL which has so much more on offer although in reality I wouldn’t need the monitoring facilities and would likely miss the phase options on the 5017.

The requirement is for a good clean signal , touch of compression and to pair with my Summit FEQ50 , easily the single best price of kit I’ve ever owned ( to my shame I EQ on the way in )

Think I’ll go for the Portico , but the large console vibe is tempting or is that really only going to happen with a “large”console anyhow ; besides I’ve not ever knowingly heard a large console as such.
wdsteele
Regular

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:36 pm

Arpangel wrote:...this is purely for acoustic music, our piano and marimba, percussion, the synths do get used occasionally, but not much, and when I get my Rhodes situation sorted out it’ll be a mic on an amp anyway, so it will basically be all mic's most of the time.

I’m not going to use the mic amps, I just need it as a good quality small mixer....

You are a perpetual quandary to me! ;-) You previously wanted a mixer but not mic preamps... And now you just need an interface with lots of mic preamps... What am I not understanding here?
Hugh Robjohns

Postby Arpangel » Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:49 am

Hugh Robjohns wrote:
Arpangel wrote:...this is purely for acoustic music, our piano and marimba, percussion, the synths do get used occasionally, but not much, and when I get my Rhodes situation sorted out it’ll be a mic on an amp anyway, so it will basically be all mic's most of the time.

I’m not going to use the mic amps, I just need it as a good quality small mixer....

You are a perpetual quandary to me! ;-) You previously wanted a mixer but not mic preamps... And now you just need an interface with lots of mic preamps... What am I not understanding here?

Hugh, I don’t need mic amps on the interface, I wouldn’t need them on the mixer either, if you remember, I have a Mike Skeet 4 channel mic preamp, that will be plugged straight into any interface, along with a couple of synths in the line inputs, so I need a minimum of four line inputs on whatever new interface I get, hope that makes it clear?

:)
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:51 am

Thanks for the clarification... so you're looking for a 4- or 8-channel line-only interface?
Hugh Robjohns

Postby Arpangel » Fri Jun 05, 2020 2:39 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:Thanks for the clarification... so you're looking for a 4- or 8-channel line-only interface?

Thanks Hugh, yes that’s right.
Buying anything new is always stressful, and I’m not going to get anything unless I can try it here, there’s no point.
I’ll get round to it at some point, trouble right now is my other half, musically, is recovering from the virus, and my partner, who is vulnerable, and myself, are scared to start using the studio again. So who knows when we will be up and running?
I don’t fancy doing much electronics right now either, I want to carry on with the acoustic stuff, but all the gear is just laying unused right now.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster