You are here

Spending money on microphones

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Spending money on microphones

Postby Mike Stranks » Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:05 am

As someone who's never really earned money from his audio endeavours and previously been the sole breadwinner in a three-children family, I've never had the money, nor the desire really, to spend significant sums on kit. 'Significant' means that any spend over £200 has been the result of a very hard think and evaluation. Thus, the Rodes of this world have had more custom from me than the Neumanns!

I've always been satisfied with the results I've achieved and so have the organisations for which I've been providing material. The mics I've used have not been slouches and are reckoned to be more-than-good at their price-point.

Now, thanks to the generosity of a forum member, I've been loaned a quality mic (ie a few hundred £s) for the duration of the lockdown, as I've unexpectedly come out of retirement in order to produce programmes for those stuck at home.

Yesterday, was the first opportunity I had to really listen to this loaned mic and form some conclusions. I've often wondered about comments here about the U87 and 'it just sounds "right"'. Now I know what they mean! The mic I've been loaned isn't a Neumann, but it just sounds 'right'. My room is optimised for voice-recording so I know I'm getting a decent capture. But usually, having recorded 'flat', in post I'm then applying some gentle filtering and EQ to add some final polish.

Totally unnecessary with this mic. The voice is 'right' straight out of the capsule/electronics. I now know what you mean about a 'right mic' chaps!

Will I be buying one? Nope! For everyone's sake I hope to be able to go back into retirement asap... lockdown will be over.... Would I be saving pennies to buy one if I wasn't? Well, that's another story! :D
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Re: Spending money on microphones

Postby Aural Reject » Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:13 am

It's a dangerous path to tread, Mike....I was always warned about it....chose to ignore it...addiction soon followed....
Aural Reject
Frequent Poster

Postby CS70 » Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:22 am

You don't know the power of the dark side of the mics!
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:36 am

:thumbup: ;) :D
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Ramirez » Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:33 am

What is the mic, out of interest?
Ramirez
Frequent Poster
www.stiwdiosain.cymru

Postby Mike Stranks » Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:26 pm

The mic is a Blue Baby Bottle, but in a sense that's immaterial.... it just... 'works'... :)

... and a - possibly futile :lol: - plea to the wider assembly? Let's not get into a whole round of "Ah! Yes, but..." stuff about mics and their characteristics and attributes...

... if I can be metaphorical: my post is commenting on a set of tyres I'm using... it's not an introduction to the state of the worldwide rubber industry... :D
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby ConcertinaChap » Thu Jun 04, 2020 1:17 pm

CS70 wrote:You don't know the power of the dark side of the mics!

Ah, to this day I miss the dedicated Microphones subforum. A place where you could say, "My name is CC and I am a micoholic" and everyone understood ...

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
We are normal and we want our freedom!.

Postby ManFromGlass » Thu Jun 04, 2020 1:24 pm

I think you are lucky to have found a mic that makes you happy!
I’m very careful with my purchases and to end up with something that puts a smile on my face because it’s right is a wonderful thing.
:thumbup:
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Sam Spoons » Thu Jun 04, 2020 1:29 pm

The Blue Baby Bottle (SL) is not an expensive mic, is this a previous incarnation or the same as the current version?
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby CS70 » Thu Jun 04, 2020 1:33 pm

ConcertinaChap wrote:
CS70 wrote:You don't know the power of the dark side of the mics!

Ah, to this day I miss the dedicated Microphones subforum. A place where you could say, "My name is CC and I am a micoholic" and everyone understood ...

CC

(raising from my chair) :D

Of course, like an good addicted person, I have my pseudo-rational excuses... just got the two Line Audio CM4 and eager to put thru their paces recording an acoustic guitar in stereo.
CS70
Jedi Poster

Postby James Perrett » Thu Jun 04, 2020 1:34 pm

I remember buying an AKG D1200 in a junk shop at the age of 18 and telling the owner "I collect microphones". Of course at the time my collection consisted of cheap dynamics and electret condenser mics salvaged from wherever I could find them. I had little idea what expensive mics cost or where this would lead.

I ended up kicking the habit 20 years later by buying the mics that everything else was compared to. I'd been hiring or borrowing them for sessions so it made sense just to buy them and be done with it.

While I still occasionally buy mics where there is a gap in my collection, I don't feel the need to buy a mic that sounds just like X when I already have X.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby Random Guitarist » Thu Jun 04, 2020 1:51 pm

James Perrett wrote:While I still occasionally buy mics where there is a gap in my collection, I don't feel the need to buy a mic that sounds just like X when I already have X.

Wise words, I spent too much time in my youth buying almost good enough budget alternatives, it would have been more cost effective to go straight to the higher end with a couple of choice purchases.
Random Guitarist
Frequent Poster
I've never liked a solo violin, you need at least five for a proper fire.

Postby Aural Reject » Thu Jun 04, 2020 1:55 pm

I just keep adding to the Schoeps collection....oddly because they're not shiny :headbang:
Aural Reject
Frequent Poster

Postby CS70 » Thu Jun 04, 2020 1:59 pm

Now that Mike has mentioned the Baby Bottle, I remember trying the Bottle (no baby) and loving the looks, if not particularly the sound. But I do have an 87 already, and no need for a gazillion swappable capsules.

That Flea 47 on the other side... :bouncy:
CS70
Jedi Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Thu Jun 04, 2020 2:05 pm

Currently the Blue Baby Bottle SL is €379 the Blue Bottle €4300, quite a difference.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Next