You are here

NPR Tiny Desk Concerts, mic techniques?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

NPR Tiny Desk Concerts, mic techniques?

Postby Arpangel » Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:28 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6m0lk3M3_Ts

This is just an example video, but I’ve always been interested in how they mic these concerts, sometimes it’s obvious, with small ensembles, but others, I’m a bit perplexed at what’s actually going on, and where the mic’s are, what type etc.
They always seem to get a very good sound too, our acoustic room isn’t that much smaller than the space they have to play in, that’s why I’m interested in the techniques they use.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Re: NPR Tiny Desk Concerts, mic techniques?

Postby Kwackman » Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:16 am

https://youtu.be/e07bI5rz6FY

I think there may be others too?
Kwackman
Frequent Poster
Cubase, guitars.

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:30 am

Arpangel wrote:...our acoustic room isn’t that much smaller than the space they have to play in...

You do realise it's just a corner of a huge open floor in an office block, with hundreds of audience members crowded around?

Only one nearby solid wall, not four, and lots of acoustic absorbers in the form of a huge audience...
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby blinddrew » Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:42 pm

There's stuff about the mics and techniques here: https://www.npr.org/sections/allsongs/2 ... 1393106985
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Tim Gillett » Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:06 am

Great performance by excellent players. Very tight. Production wise I wonder if the musos had foldback of any kind. I notice the vocalists were close together maybe so they could hear each other. Vocals seemed very lacking in the lows. Drums seem low in the mix. I can't see an overhead mic. The large cymbal seemed almost inaudible. Maybe the producer wanted the least visual obstruction by mics for the videoing.
Tim Gillett
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Arpangel » Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:24 am

Hugh Robjohns wrote:
Arpangel wrote:...our acoustic room isn’t that much smaller than the space they have to play in...

You do realise it's just a corner of a huge open floor in an office block, with hundreds of audience members crowded around?

Only one nearby solid wall, not four, and lots of acoustic absorbers in the form of a huge audience...

Thanks folks, that’s strange, when the camera sometimes turns on the audience, it doesn’t actually look that big, and the sound of applause etc isn’t that loud either. I’ve always thought it a quite intimate place.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:05 am

If you've ever been in a TV studio it's the same thing with the sets. It's amazing how intimate you can make a two-wall set appear, even though it's sitting on the floor of a 15,000sq ft studio!

Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Arpangel » Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:18 am

How many people do you reckon? in that space, 100/150?
I did think it was much smaller though.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster