You are here

USB audio interface for Linux

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: USB audio interface for Linux

Postby Charles101 » Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:12 pm

Oh! I was so excited by the purchase, I neglected to mention what I bought...

It's the Behringer UMC204HD U-phoria USB Audio Interface.
Plenty of expansion room...

...for the next owner

Charlie
Charles101
Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:44 pm

Hopefully the transfer of ownership will be a long way into the future :thumbup:

BTW, I'm Chas in real life (whatever that is) so maybe we share a first name too......
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Still taking this recording lark seriously (and trying to record my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Charles101 » Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:03 am

Sam Spoons wrote:Hopefully the transfer of ownership will be a long way into the future :thumbup:

BTW, I'm Chas in real life (whatever that is) so maybe we share a first name too......

On that note ( pun intended) I have my fingers crossed for all the good that will do... if any!!!

Yes! I was born a Charles, named after my father. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
(takes a bow) {It's the showman in me...} :lol: :roll:

If you've never heard of 'im, I've outdone 'im!
Charles101
Poster

Postby egokind » Tue Jun 16, 2020 1:30 am

Hey Dave,

I don't know which distro of linux you're using but I'll definetely recommend AV-Linux.
It's based on debian and filled with all the Audio-Video Production needs, like software, realtime kernel...
Of course there will be some stuff to set up but the manual that comes with it is a really good starting point.

When quickly reading through the thread I read about the UMC series by behringer. I myself own the UMC 404HD and am really happy with it. I'm sure there are better sounding options but the 4 preamps are decent and the outputs sound great to my ear as well.
What's best is that linux supports my interface out of the box with all ins and outs, audio and midi used, I get about 4ms of latency. Which is awesome considering the computer is about 10 years old.

Hope you'll find a way integrating reaper without getting sucked into the screen to much.

all the best

Malte
egokind

Postby Eddy Deegan » Tue Jun 16, 2020 1:36 am

Hello Malte, and welcome to the forum :)

Thank you for a very informative first post and I'm sure many future readers will benefit from it as well as the current participants in the topic.
Eddy Deegan
Some of my works | The SOS Forum Album projects

Postby ef37a » Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:55 am

And a very warm welcome from me too Malte.

But, I am not the Linux nu..er ENTHUSIAST! All Greek and coding to me. Charles and Folderol are the Brethren.

The Behringer UMC range are indeed remarkable value for money. That other, more expensive interface "sound better"? Probably but I think you would need Dr Robjohn's monitors and newly treated room to tell, plus some impeccable sound sources?

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Charles101 » Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:08 am

egokind wrote:Hey Dave,

I don't know which distro of linux you're using but I'll definetely recommend AV-Linux.
It's based on debian and filled with all the Audio-Video Production needs, like software, realtime kernel...
Of course there will be some stuff to set up but the manual that comes with it is a really good starting point.

When quickly reading through the thread I read about the UMC series by behringer. I myself own the UMC 404HD and am really happy with it. I'm sure there are better sounding options but the 4 preamps are decent and the outputs sound great to my ear as well.
What's best is that linux supports my interface out of the box with all ins and outs, audio and midi used, I get about 4ms of latency. Which is awesome considering the computer is about 10 years old.

Hope you'll find a way integrating reaper without getting sucked into the screen to much.

all the best

Malte

Hi Malte ,
Welcome from another newcomer.
I was the OP for this thread, and I am running Linux Mint 19.x Tricia, on a 10+ yr old Dell Optiplex 740. I've loaded Reaper on it and am expecting the BBC's Discovery plugin, symphony orchestral sounds
to arrive soon, which I learned about from Guy Michelmore a cinema composer,
https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0585064/

He does a cool show on Youtube. He's got 134 videos, I've been thru mebbe 10 -12 in the past few days. anyway there's 255 MB of sounds and they're only $49.00 - OR- FREE!! You can get the free one, just for filling out a questionnaire. Guess which I chose!! :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjOS4AfqoEs (for the free sounds)
Charles101
Poster

Previous