You are here

Akai S3000XL Hardware Sampler

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Akai S3000XL Hardware Sampler

Postby danno » Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:55 am

Hi all,

I have recently bought an Akai S3000XL and I'm wondering what the best way to transfer samples onto it is?
I'd like to be able to edit and manipulate the samples on the computer (mac) before transferring them to the sampler - so I'm thinking something like ReCycle for that.

I'm not sure how to send the edited samples to the Akai though - do I need a USB - SCSI adapter or something? I've heard of something called C6 that I think works through MIDI(?)

Any help would be much appreciated, thanks!

D
danno

Re: Akai S3000XL Hardware Sampler

Postby fatbenelton » Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:31 am

Hi
S3000 supportS sample transfer over MIDI - called SMDI - and I think Recycle supports that. It’s usually very slow but the C6 thing you mention is prob the prog mentioned in the attached link. It specifically mention the S3000 and a turbo mode which is 8x faster.

http://martin78.com/samplers/smdi-sampl ... over-midi/
fatbenelton
Frequent Poster

Jonny

Postby danno » Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:53 am

Hi,

That's great cheers! I'll give it a go on the weekend thanks!

D
danno

Postby forumuser648684 » Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:17 am

Hi Danno,

If you want the easiest way to transfer samples, then I would suggest you take a look at a scsi2sd solution. https://store.inertialcomputing.com/Pro ... SI2SD-V5.5

You just plug this adapter into the back of the S3000xl and then transfer samples via SD card.

There are more complicated solutions, using an old windows PC running XP and using Akai's Mesa software. The only benefit of this method is that you would have full control of the Akai via Mesa and can transfer samples/programmes back and forth with ease. It's possible to take a full memory dump from the Akai and store it directly on the HD of the PC. Which is quite productive if you are doing a lot of sampling. This also means there are no retrictions on the size of the HD/partitions etc, that you will get with the scsi2sd adapter.

For the same price as the above adapter, it is possible to buy a 1U rack pc running Windows XP with a scsi card fitted, it just depends what sort of workflow you want.

Btw Mesa or Millenium https://www.chickensys.com/downloads2/millennium.html are much better suited for dealing with handling the files from the Akai than Recycle.

If you are fine setting up the keygroups and programmes directly on the Akai, then the Scsi2sd is the better solution, if you want full control of the sampler, then take a look at getting an old PC, but it can be quite a pain to get all of the gear to play nicely with each other, certainly with a win 7 machine.

Regards Adrian.
forumuser648684