You are here

NEW - Neve console - announced today

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Re: NEW - Neve console - announced today

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:46 pm

Absolutely. Audient make really good stuff... ;-)
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby MOF » Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:21 pm

Its actually pretty simple if you can make sweeping generalisations

API = Fat, present, tight bottom end, strident mids pushy top end
Neve = sweet top end, round bottom, softer mids
SSL = Clean, no 'obvious' character (well not on the later stuff anyway) but when you take it out of the chain it feels like something is missing...unless its an E series, then you loose lovely saturation when pushed
And then to confuse matters slightly I seem to remember reading back in the day that some groups liked to record in a Neve studio and mix in a SSL studio, partly down to the SSL desks being better for automation plus compressors and gates on every channel and more bands of (parametric?) eq.
MOF
Frequent Poster

Postby forumuser840717 » Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:29 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:Absolutely. Audient make really good stuff... ;-)

Sometimes!
forumuser840717
Regular

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:47 pm

:lol: As long as all the bits are in place... :think:
Hugh Robjohns

Postby innerchord » Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:02 pm

Arpangel wrote:This is all another world to me, API, SSL, Neve etc, I’ve never used any of these mixers, and I don’t know what they should sound like.
I’d like to have a go with any of these desks, and I’d love to know what the API, or the SSL/Neve sound actually is.
For less than $200 you have a choice of plug-in solutions that will allow you to add those characteristics to your own music, and mix and match. It's a fantastic time for playing around with the sound of vintage and esoteric gear without having to purchase it. I'm very happy about that (and so is my bank balance).
innerchord
Regular

Postby ceejay » Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:50 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:There's no end of colleges needing nice new consoles for their new studios... :lol:

... and to look good for the clients :D .

Many years ago I had an MCI JH-636 (full frame with 16 channels installed) and it looked absolutely wonderful (sounded good too), but every time I turned the thing on it blew another cap and the maintenance was costing me a fortune. So I swapped it for what was then a brand spanking new Yammy Pro Mix 01 and some other bits and pieces.

Didn't look as good, but my maintenance (and power) bills went down ...

... I miss it though :(
ceejay
Regular

Postby John Willett » Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:12 pm

I have just discovered some more videos from Neve about the new 8424:-

8424 Video Series - Episode 2 - Recording

I think this one counters a lot of the negative comments I have read about "you can't record with this console".

8424 Video Series - Episode 3 - Mixing

8424 Video Series - Episode 4 - Monitoring , Master Section & Recall System

:thumbup:
John Willett
Jedi Poster
John
Sound-Link ProAudio
Circle Sound Services
Sound-Link are UK Distributors for: Microtech Gefell, ME-Geithain, AETA, HUM, Håkan, Meyer Turtle

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:18 pm

I don't think anyone is saying 'you can't record with this console' -- thats obviously nonsense... but the general complaint is rather that you can't record very much at once without a lot of additional outboard hardware!

Our very own Mr Houghton is heading up to Burnley shortly for the full user experience, so expect one of his typically thorough, considered, and balanced reviews in the not too distant future.
Hugh Robjohns

Postby ManFromGlass » Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:54 pm

Can he ask if they will donate one to the SOS giveaway?

:shh:
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby MOF » Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:32 pm

I have just discovered some more videos from Neve about the new 8424
A cutaway of one of the pot's didn't inspire confidence, a bit too much flexing of the pot' on its spindle for my liking.
MOF
Frequent Poster

Postby Arpangel » Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:08 am

This might be a waste of time, but I still think there is a hole in the market, for high quality small mixers, that are a cut above the usual fair, SSL have addressed it, sort of, but it would be good to see things that have similar facilities to the cheaper end of the market, decent number of channels, aux sends, sub-groups, etc. But maybe the budget end has it covered and the quality differences wouldn’t be significant or even wanted my "most people"
I can think of a number of issues found on budget/mid-range mixers, gain bunching and noise on mic-pre's, poor quality EQ, low headroom, congested sound quality on complex mixes. Forget about plasticky build quality. But maybe these things aren’t important to a lot of people, especially with synth studios and mainly line level applications.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:23 am

I suspect your perception of a 'market hole' are based on your immediate personal requirements, and don't reflect the true reality of market share possibilities....

How many people would really be prepared to blow the £5-10k it would cost for a proper transformer-interfaced, high-quality 'small' analogue mixer with all the bells and whistles? I suspect you're talking tens or maybe hundreds, not the thousands you'd need for a viable product.

The days of the Calrec Minimixer, Neve 542 Suitcase, and Amek BC3 are long gone. The closest you'll get these days is something like the A&H Mixwizard4 -- with decent specs that more or less match the old school broadcast and recording desks.

Eg: the WZ4 14:4:2

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/allen-heath-mixwizard-wz4-1442

https://www.allen-heath.com/ahproducts/wz4-14-4-2/

How much of a higher quality, smaller mixer could you need? ;-) And only £1k2...
Hugh Robjohns

Postby John Willett » Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:25 am

MOF wrote:
I have just discovered some more videos from Neve about the new 8424
A cutaway of one of the pot's didn't inspire confidence, a bit too much flexing of the pot' on its spindle for my liking.

I would guess that the pots are the same as the ones Neve use on all their consoles - and I would think that some flexing is wanted to avoid damaging the pot in use.
John Willett
Jedi Poster
John
Sound-Link ProAudio
Circle Sound Services
Sound-Link are UK Distributors for: Microtech Gefell, ME-Geithain, AETA, HUM, Håkan, Meyer Turtle

Postby Arpangel » Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:48 am

Hugh Robjohns wrote:I suspect your perception of a 'market hole' are based on your immediate personal requirements, and don't reflect the true reality of market share possibilities....

How many people would really be prepared to blow the £5-10k it would cost for a proper transformer-interfaced, high-quality 'small' analogue mixer with all the bells and whistles? I suspect you're talking tens or maybe hundreds, not the thousands you'd need for a viable product.

The days of the Calrec Minimixer, Neve 542 Suitcase, and Amek BC3 are long gone. The closest you'll get these days is something like the A&H Mixwizard4 -- with decent specs that more or less match the old school broadcast and recording desks.

Eg: the WZ4 14:4:2

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/allen-heath-mixwizard-wz4-1442

https://www.allen-heath.com/ahproducts/wz4-14-4-2/

How much of a higher quality, smaller mixer could you need? ;-) And only £1k2...

Yes, thanks Hugh, I looked at the WZ162, and also the Soundcraft GB2 12R
I think the A&H is better built, with one board per channel, I don’t think the Soundcraft is.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sun Jul 05, 2020 12:33 pm

Arpangel wrote:I think the A&H is better built, with one board per channel, I don’t think the Soundcraft is.

The one board per channel is a 'traditional' way of building, but not necessarily 'better'. It necessitates a lot of connectors that single motherboard designs don't have and it requires a more complex and thus more expensive mechanical design...
Hugh Robjohns

PreviousNext