You are here

NEW - Neve console - announced today

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Re: NEW - Neve console - announced today

Postby Zukan » Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:35 am

That Box 2 is amazing! Now that could tempt me back into a hybrid system.
Zukan

Postby Arpangel » Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:17 am

This is all another world to me, API, SSL, Neve etc, I’ve never used any of these mixers, and I don’t know what they should sound like.
I’d like to have a go with any of these desks, and I’d love to know what the API, or the SSL/Neve sound actually is.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby zenguitar » Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:16 am

Arpangel wrote:I’d love to know what the API, or the SSL/Neve sound actually is.

It's the sound of bean counters weeping.

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
The more I understand Music, the less good I get at it.

Postby Arpangel » Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:27 am

zenguitar wrote:
Arpangel wrote:I’d love to know what the API, or the SSL/Neve sound actually is.

It's the sound of bean counters weeping.

Andy :beamup:

Well, I’ve probably heard them on lots of my favourite records, but honestly, I still wouldn’t know.
Things are different now, and maybe the gap has been closed a lot, back when these big mixers were king, we didn’t have many alternatives on a budget to make quality recordings, but now we have. Also, things like low noise, low crosstalk, good frequency responses, these were things that you had to go to a studio for, using an expensive console etc, so as I’ve said before, a lot of things we take for granted in our home studios weren’t the norm, and also, a lot of things that were essential, maybe aren’t anymore, and they’re just a hang over from previous times.
I’d like to go "wow" if I had the chance to use a Neve etc, but would I really?
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:28 am

zenguitar wrote:It's the sound of bean counters weeping.
:clap: :bouncy:
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:32 am

Arpangel wrote:...maybe the gap has been closed a lot...

The gap in technical performance between 'professional' and consumer or amateur equipment really has closed almost completely.

But regarding these three console brands, they each employ radically different circuitry approaches, and so they inherently have different sound characters -- subtle though those differences generally are.
Hugh Robjohns

Postby jaminem » Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:03 pm

Arpangel wrote:Well, I’ve probably heard them on lots of my favourite records, but honestly, I still wouldn’t know.

Its actually pretty simple if you can make sweeping generalisations

API = Fat, present, tight bottom end, strident mids pushy top end
Neve = sweet top end, round bottom, softer mids
SSL = Clean, no 'obvious' character (well not on the later stuff anyway) but when you take it out of the chain it feels like something is missing...unless its an E series, then you loose lovely saturation when pushed.
jaminem
Frequent Poster

Postby Arpangel » Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:09 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:
Arpangel wrote:...maybe the gap has been closed a lot...

The gap in technical performance between 'professional' and consumer or amateur equipment really has closed almost completely.

But regarding these three console brands, they each employ radically different circuitry approaches, and so they inherently have different sound characters -- subtle though those differences generally are.

Yes, and I can’t comment much anymore, as I’ve not experienced them, but I assume they are still sought after otherwise they wouldn’t make new ones, and vintage ones wouldn’t change hands for huge amounts of money.
I’m generalising a bit here, and it’s also very confusing, but when CD's came in, and engineers were demanding lower noise, better EQ, there was a definite shift in "the sound of the recorded landscape" is the best way I can put it. And I can remember certain engineers saying that SSL were harsh, and too bright, and then they obviously improved digital technology as a whole and things settled down.
I always associate SSL after that as being a mixer for digital formats, with engineers cramming as much top end on as they could, in my mind Neve are always the smooth relation, from what I’ve heard.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:16 pm

jaminem wrote:Its actually pretty simple if you can make sweeping generalisations...

Sweeping, maybe, but very descriptive and on the nail. Nice! :thumbup:
Hugh Robjohns

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:17 pm

Arpangel wrote:I assume they are still sought after otherwise they wouldn’t make new ones

There's no end of colleges needing nice new consoles for their new studios... :lol:
Hugh Robjohns

Postby jaminem » Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:24 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:
jaminem wrote:Its actually pretty simple if you can make sweeping generalisations...

Sweeping, maybe, but very descriptive and on the nail. Nice! :thumbup:

Been on here 20 odd years...finally arrived... :thumbup:
jaminem
Frequent Poster

Postby Arpangel » Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:36 pm

jaminem wrote:
Arpangel wrote:Well, I’ve probably heard them on lots of my favourite records, but honestly, I still wouldn’t know.

Its actually pretty simple if you can make sweeping generalisations

API = Fat, present, tight bottom end, strident mids pushy top end
Neve = sweet top end, round bottom, softer mids
SSL = Clean, no 'obvious' character (well not on the later stuff anyway) but when you take it out of the chain it feels like something is missing...unless its an E series, then you loose lovely saturation when pushed.

Thanks for finally making all this as clear as crystal...

:D
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby fatbenelton » Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:27 pm

Just curious as no way can afford these....but where do the Audient consoles sit amongst brands like API, SSL & Neve? I always liked the look of the smaller ASP4816 and whilst it's not cheap it's a lot less than a Neve. Does 50% of the cost get you 90% of the quality and is that final 10% noticeable/worth it?
fatbenelton
Frequent Poster

Jonny

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:34 pm

The Audients are at the clean and neutral end of the spectrum -- similar to the SSL in that they are not really obviously 'characterful' consoles (unlike the Neve and APIs).

They don't have quite the same level of sophistication and flexibility as the big SSLs either -- simpler EQ, no dynamics per channel etc -- but they are much easier to use (for the unfamiliar) and do everything that's needed for most studio tracking and mixing jobs...

And it's easy to run outboard EQ or dynamics etc into the inserts when you need something special on a track.

But as you say, much more cost-effective, and I'd say 95%-98% of 'the way there'... ;-)
Hugh Robjohns

Postby fatbenelton » Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:42 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:...95%-98% of 'the way there'... ;-)

Thanks Hugh - closer than I thought!
fatbenelton
Frequent Poster

Jonny

PreviousNext