You are here

Correct cable wiring for using Inserts as Direct Outs

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Re: Correct cable wiring for using Inserts as Direct Outs

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:55 am

traditional85 wrote:Adapters aren't the devil as most people seem to think they are...

'Most people' have probably got good horror stories as to why they think 'adaptors are the devil' :-)

I have a drawer full of adaptors and I use them as instant short-term problem solvers. They are very handy ... but I never use them in equipment sockets; I only ever connect them inline to join cables together.

30 years plus of experience tells me that their size, weight and leverage can very easily result in long-lasting damage to equipment sockets that would be prohibitively expensive to resolve, if fixable at all. It's just not worth the risk.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby traditional85 » Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:56 pm

Got my materials in, about to get the soldering done. I opted for a 16 channel TRS snake as it was way cheaper than longer TS cables (to cut in half), so I'm just replacing one end of the cables with TS connectors.

As a test, I soldered the Ring to the Tip of one TRS end, plugged that end into my interface and the other intact TRS into the Insert and got a signal in my DAW. Any disadvantage to doing this, or is it still best practice to just solder on the TS on one end and call it a day?

Sorry for beating a dead horse.
traditional85
New here

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:36 pm

traditional85 wrote:As a test, I soldered the Ring to the Tip of one TRS end, plugged that end into my interface and the other intact TRS into the Insert and got a signal in my DAW. Any disadvantage to doing this, or is it still best practice to just solder on the TS on one end and call it .

That's odd. Your interface must have unbalanced inputs, which is very unusual!

If you short the ring and sleeve of either plug, and the interface has balanced inputs, you're shorting the hot and cold balanced inputs which would result in no output at all (or a very, very low level output).

If it works to your satisfaction then, great... But beware your harness will not work with interfaces with balanced inputs. Personally, I'd swap the plugs for TS, or rewire the interface TRS as described earlier.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby traditional85 » Sat Jul 04, 2020 12:42 am

I've already swapped the 16 ends for TS so all is good. I tested them initially on my UMC204HD and not the UMC1820 but I doubt the inputs are any different between the two.
traditional85
New here

Postby Sam Spoons » Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:23 am

Not much info from Behringer but both state XLR/TRS and mic/line/instrument on the combo sockets.

Shorting the ring and tip on the 'sniff' end of a 'sniffer' lead is ok as the output (send, and the input/return) from the 'insert' is unbalanced. With a TS at the AI input end you have automatically shorted the 'cold' and 'ground' so the signal will get through?

Option 1 in Hugh's diagram on plage 1
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Previous