You are here

Good hardware reverb?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Good hardware reverb?

Postby Arpangel » Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:13 am

I’ve been disappearing into pedal land for quite some time now, liking the simple user interfaces and rack unit sound quality of today’s pedals. But sometimes I’m missing slightly more in depth editing, and on top of this I’m missing certain sounds that I used to have in hardware, my Eventide H3000, and Lexicon 224.
I’m well aware of the reliability issues of vintage stuff, and I’d like to try and get something current, mainly for reverb, I’d like hardware, not software.
One unit that intrigues me is the Eventide 2016 by Princeton Digital, I’ve read the SOS review, but nowhere can I seem to find out things like maximum reverb times etc, I like using long dense reverbs, so this is important. I’m also looking at the Lexicon PCM92, but it’s an unknown quantity, I’m not sure it’ll give me what I want.
I know it’s asking a lot, but I’d like something that is capable of very realistic small rooms, but can also get really far out, my Lexicon 224 could do those things, incredibly realistic small spaces and mega-large crazy and dense if needed, but I really don’t want the UAD plug, it’s not what I’m looking for.
Any info about the 2016? Could be a contender if the reverb times are flexible enough.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Re: Good hardware reverb?

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:36 am

Arpangel wrote:Any info about the 2016? Could be a contender if the reverb times are flexible enough.

I can't remember how long the max decay was. It was certainly longer than would ever be needed in typical music mixing applications... but I know that's of no use for your weirdness requirements! ;-)

However, there is a plugin that uses the exact same algorithms and I believe that has a free time-limited demo mode, so it might be an idea to download that and try it out on the computer to see if the hardware equivalent will suit.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby ManFromGlass » Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:36 am

If you are missing certain sounds, I have memories of very quirky and fun lexicon patches so know what you mean, then the only thing that will satisfy is getting those same units again.
One problem I face sometimes is my memory builds up the sound to more than it was and going back is a let down, although other times pulling up a familiar patch brings back that ahah smile.
:D
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Arpangel » Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:37 am

Hugh Robjohns wrote:
Arpangel wrote:Any info about the 2016? Could be a contender if the reverb times are flexible enough.

I can't remember how long the max decay was. It was certainly longer than would ever be needed in typical music mixing applications... but I know that's of no use for your weirdness requirements! ;-)

However, there is a plugin that uses the exact same algorithms and I believe that has a free time-limited demo mode, so it might be an idea to download that and try it out on the computer to see if the hardware equivalent will suit.

Good idea, I’m sure it will be fine regarding decay times, I need to compare it with the flavour of the current Lexicons, I’d consider a PCM91 or similar too, I’m not going down the 480 960 route, as they have very noisy fans, not suited to our set-up. When I had my 224 it was on the end of a 10 metre remote extension in an outside hallway, it was literally like a hoover.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby Zukan » Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:50 am

PCMs are very affordable nowadays. There are literally tons of very good verbs out there, from Roland SRV330 to Eventide's H3K, TC M3/5000 to Bricasti M7, Sony DRE to the Eventide 2016 and on and on and on.....
Zukan

Postby MOF » Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:11 pm

If you want to invest in or already have the 500 series racks then the AMS RMX 16 is available.
I have the UAD version and really like it.
https://www.dv247.com/en_GB/GBP/AMS-Nev ... gIzSfD_BwE
MOF
Frequent Poster

Postby desmond » Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:33 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:I can't remember how long the max decay was.

Hmm, "Max Decay" should definitely be some synthwave artist name, for sure...
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby Ramirez » Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:36 pm

Just sent you a PM
Ramirez
Frequent Poster
www.stiwdiosain.cymru

Postby Arpangel » Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:31 pm

Ramirez wrote:Just sent you a PM

Many thanks! Yes, I’m on the case!

:thumbup:
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby Arpangel » Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:08 am

Just tried to download the trial 2016, but it’s asked to set up "i Lock" Not sure about this?
Also been reading about the PCM91, a lot of people seem to say it’s very "characterful" Any opinions?
I’m now looking at things like the TC M4000.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby blinddrew » Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:18 am

ILok is a common bit of copy-protection software. It used to involve a hardware dongle as well. Lots of early users seem to have scare stories about it but I've been using the software-only version for plenty of years with no issues.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Arpangel » Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:47 am

blinddrew wrote:ILok is a common bit of copy-protection software. It used to involve a hardware dongle as well. Lots of early users seem to have scare stories about it but I've been using the software-only version for plenty of years with no issues.

Thanks, but I just can’t be bothered, just for a free trial.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:51 am

You're a hard man to please..... oh... wait... :lol:
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Arpangel » Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:48 am

Hugh Robjohns wrote:You're a hard man to please..... oh... wait... :lol:

I know, it’s terrible, my enthusiasm is demolished by the tiniest bit of resistance, it’s just all too much effort. I need a personal assistant, like, yesterday. If I had the money I’d advertise, and keep someone on the pay role just to do this stuff, I’d seriously do it if I had a big enough project to work on.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby ManFromGlass » Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:23 pm

Finding a personal assistant is a big project :D
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Next