You are here

Need help setting up my home studio

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Need help setting up my home studio

Postby Maz.Hiphop » Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:58 pm

Hi there,

I have a Scarlett 8i6 and a pair of Rokit Powered 5 that I use for song recording.

I also DJ on vinyls and I have a Pioneers DJ 2 channel mixer DJM-250MK2.

I want to use both the Scarleet and the DJ mixer with the same monitors (the Rokit Powered 5).

I originally tried to plug my mixer into my Scarlett 8i6 but I think there is a tiny latency which makes it very difficult to mix.

Is there a way to get rid of the latency? Alternatively, should i look at an input selector/switch? Or is a mixer a better option?

And if so could you give me some affordable products recommendations.

I hope the above makes sense.
Thank you so much!
Maz.Hiphop

Re: Need help setting up my home studio

Postby MOF » Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:44 pm

You need to switch off software monitoring in your DAW and follow the routing instructions below in your interface mixer software.
https://support.focusrite.com/hc/en-gb/ ... l-tutorial
MOF
Frequent Poster

Postby BJG145 » Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:49 pm

Some audio interfaces have "zero latency" or "direct monitoring" features which can be activated either by controls on the hardware or by digging into the config utility. I can't see a button for it on the front of the unit, but the manual discusses it; try searching for "direct".

The routing section allows the setting up of audio sources which are to be routed directly to physical outputs...

...Routing presets...Zero Latency Tracking is used for the recording process. It will automatically output Mix 1 and 2 to all the line outputs, routing to the main monitors and to the headphones simultaneously. Line inputs and DAW outputs must be set up in Mix 1 so that the monitor sources can be monitored with zero latency. It is important that the same signals are not monitored from within the DAW at the same time, otherwise the same signal will be monitored twice (once direct from Scarlett MixControl and a second time (with latency) from the DAW.)

*edit*

MOF beat me to it...
BJG145
Jedi Poster

Postby MOF » Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:05 pm

*edit*

MOF beat me to it...
I sometimes start a reply and by the time I’m ready to post it I see that someone else has posted, I have a quick read to check I’ve not said exactly the same thing and then post it anyway.
The OP might find it easier to understand one reply versus another. We’re all wired slightly differently. :lol:
MOF
Frequent Poster

Postby Maz.Hiphop » Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:36 pm

Thank you so much guys! I didn't even realise my sound Interface would work without being plugged onto my laptop. This is amazing. Have a nice weekend!
Maz.Hiphop