You are here

Dynacord mixers?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Dynacord mixers?

Postby Arpangel » Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:17 am

I’ve always wondered about these mixers, I've read the SOS reviews, and I’m wondering why the prices are high compared to similar mixers with the same channel count and facilities by the usual suspects, Soundcraft, Yamaha, Mackie etc.
Is there anything about the build quality of the Dynacord mixers that is superior?
I’ve not considered them before as I’m not sure where they stand in the market.
I’m after an older Crest Audio mixer, a lot of keyboard players seem to use these, and they seem to be a very well made professional product, but difficult to find these days.
User avatar
Arpangel
Jedi Poster
Posts: 4290
Joined: Sat Jul 12, 2003 12:00 am

Re: Dynacord mixers?

Postby The Korff » Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:29 am

Arpangel wrote:Is there anything about the build quality of the Dynacord mixers that is superior?

Yup, they're built like tanks — a cut above the usual budget fare. I've not used one myself, but I have photographed a LOT of compact mixers, and I'm always surprised by how heavy and sturdy they are compared with similar (modern) Mackies, Soundcrafts, Behringers, Yamahas etc. (Note: Older Mackies and Soundcrafts are generally much sturdier.)

I've heard good things about Crest too.
The Korff
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 2200
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:28 pm
Location: The Wrong Precinct

Re: Dynacord mixers?

Postby Arpangel » Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:32 pm

The Korff wrote:
Arpangel wrote:Is there anything about the build quality of the Dynacord mixers that is superior?

Yup, they're built like tanks — a cut above the usual budget fare. I've not used one myself, but I have photographed a LOT of compact mixers, and I'm always surprised by how heavy and sturdy they are compared with similar (modern) Mackies, Soundcrafts, Behringers, Yamahas etc. (Note: Older Mackies and Soundcrafts are generally much sturdier.)

I've heard good things about Crest too.


Yes, Crest are interesting, but they don’t make mixers anymore, and secondhand ones are hard to find.
I can remember Hugh reviewing a nice high quality small format mixer in SOS a few years back, but I can’t remember who it was by, it was someone similar to Trident, British, very trad styling.

:think:
User avatar
Arpangel
Jedi Poster
Posts: 4290
Joined: Sat Jul 12, 2003 12:00 am

Re: Dynacord mixers?

Postby shufflebeat » Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:43 pm

Dynacord have a special place in the hearts of Irish Country music and events band artists. It's similar to how some folks "just buy" Iveco vans for bandwagons. People who work on them know them well, there is a coherent logic behind the design process and a level of quality control that extends beyond the point of sale.

Other brands do this as well of course but, if there's a Dynacord available why take the chance?

The guys I work with have just such an outlook and I had some difficulty in persuading them away from their analogue desk (+ outboard and extra heavy multicore to accommodate speaker outputs) to an active setup (Dynacord A series) and iPad controlled digital desk (Mackie, then A&H).

The manpower and transport requirements have improved greatly and the sound has changed as new improved workflow is accommodated with more and better balanced features but the Dynacord desk was sold for not much less than it was bought for.
shufflebeat
Jedi Poster
Posts: 4769
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2007 1:00 am
Location: Manchester, UK
"Dancing Queen - feel the heat from the tangerine, ooh yeah!"

Do yourself a favour, wear earplugs at gigs.

Re: Dynacord mixers?

Postby Arpangel » Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:53 pm

shufflebeat wrote:Dynacord have a special place in the hearts of Irish Country music and events band artists. It's similar to how some folks "just buy" Iveco vans for bandwagons. People who work on them know them well, there is a coherent logic behind the design process and a level of quality control that extends beyond the point of sale.

Other brands do this as well of course but, if there's a Dynacord available why take the chance?

The guys I work with have just such an outlook and I had some difficulty in persuading them away from their analogue desk (+ outboard and extra heavy multicore to accommodate speaker outputs) to an active setup (Dynacord A series) and iPad controlled digital desk (Mackie, then A&H).

The manpower and transport requirements have improved greatly and the sound has changed as new improved workflow is accommodated with more and better balanced features but the Dynacord desk was sold for not much less than it was bought for.

OK, they don’t make a small footprint high channel count desk AFAIK, I’ve just looked at he Studiomaster rack mount 16-2, looks very interesting, and I’ve always liked Studiomaster, a bit rough and ready, but sound great, with really nice aggressive steep EQ.
But that was years ago so......
User avatar
Arpangel
Jedi Poster
Posts: 4290
Joined: Sat Jul 12, 2003 12:00 am

Re: Dynacord mixers?

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:34 pm

Arpangel wrote:I can remember Hugh reviewing a nice high quality small format mixer in SOS a few years back, but I can’t remember who it was by, it was someone similar to Trident, British, very trad styling.

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/cadac-live-1
Image
User avatar
Hugh Robjohns
Moderator
Posts: 27620
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am
Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Re: Dynacord mixers?

Postby CS70 » Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:47 pm

They also sound good. At least, I've used a couple in anger (together with their speakers) and really liked how the live sound came out.
User avatar
CS70
Jedi Poster
Posts: 5569
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:00 am
Location: Oslo, Norway
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Re: Dynacord mixers?

Postby Arpangel » Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:50 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:
Arpangel wrote:I can remember Hugh reviewing a nice high quality small format mixer in SOS a few years back, but I can’t remember who it was by, it was someone similar to Trident, British, very trad styling.

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/cadac-live-1
Image

Thanks for looking that up, shame, a bit too big for me.
User avatar
Arpangel
Jedi Poster
Posts: 4290
Joined: Sat Jul 12, 2003 12:00 am

Re: Dynacord mixers?

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:43 pm

You're a ridiculously hard man to please... :lol:
User avatar
Hugh Robjohns
Moderator
Posts: 27620
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am
Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Re: Dynacord mixers?

Postby shufflebeat » Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:53 pm

Arpangel wrote:...I’ve just looked at he Studiomaster rack mount 16-2, looks very interesting, and I’ve always liked Studiomaster, a bit rough and ready, but sound great, with really nice aggressive steep EQ.
But that was years ago so......

My recent experience with Studiomaster compared to my ancient experience with Studiomaster would imply it's not the same company as was.

We used to have a 12/4 mixer with an extension panel of (I think) six extra channels bolted on. It was absolutely wonderful into 4 Studiomaster amps in one rack which was barely mobile.

After a gap of some years I picked up a couple of smaller amps which were "cobbled together" according to the guy who repaired both of them for me.
shufflebeat
Jedi Poster
Posts: 4769
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2007 1:00 am
Location: Manchester, UK
"Dancing Queen - feel the heat from the tangerine, ooh yeah!"

Do yourself a favour, wear earplugs at gigs.

Re: Dynacord mixers?

Postby jacobvosmaer » Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:59 pm

Arpangel wrote: Thanks for looking that up, shame, a bit too big for me.

For what it's worth, the Cadac Live 1 apparently comes in three sizes (8, 16 or 24 mono channels) and that picture shows the middle size. The smallest version is rack-mountable.
jacobvosmaer
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Jun 20, 2015 12:00 am

Re: Dynacord mixers?

Postby Arpangel » Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:42 am

Hugh Robjohns wrote:You're a ridiculously hard man to please... :lol:

That one is, just too big for my space, and the rack mounting one doesn’t have enough channels, it’s a shame, it's a great mixer.
User avatar
Arpangel
Jedi Poster
Posts: 4290
Joined: Sat Jul 12, 2003 12:00 am