You are here

Buying a new synth..which one?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Buying a new synth..which one?

Postby herecomesthemoon » Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:19 pm

Howdy all

I am looking to buy a synth.

I am looking at Arturia microfreak and some of the Behringer synth.

Sure this could go into which kind of synth but I am looking for something unique and that I could also hook up via my midi keyboard. I know the Microfreak has a tiny keyboard but expandable one would be nice.

Cheers
herecomesthemoon
Regular

Re: Buying a new synth..which one?

Postby The Elf » Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:33 pm

Poly? Mono? With keys? If with keys, how many keys? Mini/fullsized? Digital, analogue, virtual, other?

And budget!?

You really are going to have to help us narrow it down for you - the options are endless!
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby herecomesthemoon » Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:53 pm

The Elf wrote:Poly? Mono? With keys? If with keys, how many keys? Mini/fullsized? Digital, analogue, virtual, other?

And budget!?

You really are going to have to help us narrow it down for you - the options are endless!

Not super hung up on mono or polyphonic. Analogue or digital is ok too but would rather analogue.

Keys can be either but wanna be able to hook it up to my midi keyboard.

budget is 400 to 500.

Thanks
herecomesthemoon
Regular

Postby Eddy Deegan » Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:06 pm

In roughly that price bracket you could look into the Roland Gaia SH-01, Roland JD-XI, Waldorf Pulse 2, Yamaha MX49 II, Behringer Deepmind 6 or Modal Argon8 (based on a quick GAK search with parameters).

It's probably worth looking at those, possibly doing some more searches on other websites and seeing if you can narrow the list down a bit.

They all sell well because they suit different people's purposes so it's impossible for us to recommend you anything specific without understanding more about your needs than "I want to buy a synth" :)
Eddy Deegan
Some of my works.
Please consider supporting the SOS Forum Album project.

Postby The Elf » Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:14 pm

Ambivalence over poly/mono is a bit odd, in that they do quite different jobs, but...

For a poly, take a look at Behringer's DeepMind - module version. I think it represents a lot of synth for the money. Like most synths it has its ideosyncrasies, and it has a 'Juno-esque' sound that may not appeal to everyone (the reason I sold mine), but it has a lot going for it.

For a monosynth then the Model D is fabulous, if you aspire to the sound of a MiniMoog, the Pro-One is great for bass, leads and FX the Neutron is excellent as a patchable way into modular... all have their strengths and weaknesses.

If you're not fussy about virtual then even the Roland JP-8080 would be worth a look - one of the most useful synths in my collection.

Hopefully you'll get other suggestions, but you're showing a very wide target!
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby herecomesthemoon » Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:30 pm

The Elf wrote:Ambivalence over poly/mono is a bit odd, in that they do quite different jobs, but...

For a poly, take a look at Behringer's DeepMind - module version. I think it represents a lot of synth for the money. Like most synths it has its ideosyncrasies, and it has a 'Juno-esque' sound that may not appeal to everyone (the reason I sold mine), but it has a lot going for it.

For a monosynth then the Model D is fabulous, if you aspire to the sound of a MiniMoog, the Pro-One is great for bass, leads and FX the Neutron is excellent as a patchable way into modular... all have their strengths and weaknesses.

If you're not fussy about virtual then even the Roland JP-8080 would be worth a look - one of the most useful synths in my collection.

Hopefully you'll get other suggestions, but you're showing a very wide target!

Cheers for the response

I shall try and narrow it down a bit.

Looking some thing that does amibent but also has some nice bass.
I think I could prob get any synth and be happy haha but I do love the CS 80 if that helps any?
herecomesthemoon
Regular

Postby Eddy Deegan » Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:48 pm

herecomesthemoon wrote:I shall try and narrow it down a bit.

I think I could prob get any synth and be happy haha but I do love the CS 80 if that helps any?

Errr... if you get a monosynth such as the Model D or any of the other analogue Behringer clones you're probably not going to find it that friendly for ambient work if you don't have enough experience to know which type of synth would best suit you.

From what you've said I think you could do worse than take a close look at the Deepmind.
Eddy Deegan
Some of my works.
Please consider supporting the SOS Forum Album project.

Postby IAA » Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:53 pm

From what you've said I think you could do worse than take a close look at the Deepmind.

Yep - I agree this will certainly keep you going for a while and cover those jobs. If you can't do ambient and bass with one of those you never will :D
IAA
Frequent Poster

Postby herecomesthemoon » Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:00 pm

Eddy Deegan wrote:
herecomesthemoon wrote:I shall try and narrow it down a bit.

Errr... if you get a monosynth such as the Model D or any of the other analogue Behringer clones you're probably not going to find it that friendly for ambient work if you don't have enough experience to know which type of synth would best suit you.

Deepmind does look pretty sweet. I tried it just before Covid but it sounded slick.

I am surprised no love for the Microfreak it seemed pretty sweet in videos I've watched.
herecomesthemoon
Regular

Postby IAA » Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:05 pm

I have a micro freak - nice - but limited compared with the deep mind. If you want some growing room - then I think its not what you need - its a nice synth but its sometimes a bit niche. Its not a true poly either + no FX
IAA
Frequent Poster

Postby herecomesthemoon » Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:09 pm

IAA wrote:I have a micro freak - nice - but limited compared with the deep mind. If you want some growing room - then I think its not what you need - its a nice synth but its sometimes a bit niche. Its not a true poly either + no FX

I get what ya mean. You can use it as a midi controller too yes?
herecomesthemoon
Regular

Postby The Elf » Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:23 pm

This will be a bit controversial(!), but if you like the CS-80 then the Yamaha reface CS does nod its head in that direction, as long as you don't expect too much. Although it is very basic and restricted in many ways it does create some very nice sounds.

It wouldn't be my only synth, but it does cover a lot of ground for something so humble, and I do occasionally choose it for bass over all other synths I have here.
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby Michaelniebuhr » Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:51 pm

I think the Deepmind or Korg Minilogue are great options, because their preset options will take you quite far, in terms of what the synth can do, and offer you an array of sounds quickly, when you record/play with it.

For that CS80 sound, there's probably not many substitutes (apart from the Arturia V Synth (software version), but the Yamaha CS Reface (within your price range), is actually based on the original CS series. I have one, and it's a surprisingly rich and big sounding machine - even with the toy keys.

The same can be said for the Behringer MS-1 (a clone of the Roland SH-101). So much fun to play with and instant familiarity with knobs for every functionality.
Michaelniebuhr
New here

Postby Zukan » Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:43 am

One of the power points that sold the CS80 for me was the keybed. The playing action was second to none. The Reface might house some of the synth architecture but does it 'play' right?
Zukan

Postby The Elf » Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:31 am

Zukan wrote:One of the power points that sold the CS80 for me was the keybed. The playing action was second to none. The Reface might house some of the synth architecture but does it 'play' right?
Not at all Zuke - it's just a nod of the head to the old CS sound, that's all. It doesn't even have the same architecture at all. The CS is fully digital and has very few controls, but it does sound very good.
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Next