You are here

Vocal recording issue?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Vocal recording issue?

Postby avk » Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:57 pm

Hi All,

I received some vocal tracks from a singer to mix. According to her these are raw tracks and not processed in anyway. However, listening to them I find them phasey, robotic, processes, ????? If the lead+backing vocals are put toghether the result is even worse. I have put a short clip on soundcloud?

https://soundcloud.com/skippystudio/sets/vocal-issues

Any idea what is causing this? Recording issue? Microphone issue? Can it be fixed?
Thanks,
Antoine
avk

Re: Vocal recording issue?

Postby Tim Gillett » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:59 pm

They sound OK to me.
Tim Gillett
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby James Perrett » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:39 pm

The third file certainly seems to have some kind of tuning going on - unless the vocalist is skilled enough to sing naturally as if they're being autotuned. Apparently some younger singers are so used to the sound of autotune that they think they should sing that way.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby Tim Gillett » Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:14 am

Listening again to the isolated vocals after a good sleep and through my normal headphones, there may be a peak or dip in the spectral response, more a dip as if comb filtering. Will play around with it.
Tim Gillett
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby djangodeadman » Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:03 am

James Perrett wrote:The third file certainly seems to have some kind of tuning going on - unless the vocalist is skilled enough to sing naturally as if they're being autotuned. Apparently some younger singers are so used to the sound of autotune that they think they should sing that way.

I’ve heard children sing like that walking down the street. It’s most disconcerting.
djangodeadman
Regular

Postby Tim Gillett » Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:08 am

Tim Gillett wrote:Listening again to the isolated vocals after a good sleep and through my normal headphones, there may be a peak or dip in the spectral response, more a dip as if comb filtering. Will play around with it.

To me the voice doesnt sound as natural as it could be, but hard to know what is the cause. Perhaps a cheap or faulty mic, or recorded off axis. Is there a better capture of this voice for comparison?
Tim Gillett
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:46 am

The vocal 2 track, in particular has hints of autotune about it, but nothing I would swear to just from that example. And, as James and Django have both said, many people really can and do sing like that naturally (because they've heard it on commercial tracks and have learned to emulate it). It freaked me out the first time I came across it!

However, I think what you're reacting to is simply the quality and character of the singer's natural voice.... although without listening to her in person in the same room that can only be an educated guess.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby avk » Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:43 pm

Thanks for all your replies so far:

1. Looking at the wav file with varaudio in cubase, i suspect that indeed some autotuning might be going on. I have send an email to the singer to ask her. Will let you know.

2. Recording was done with https://www.bluedesigns.com/products/bluebird-sl/
avk

Postby avk » Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:36 pm

Turned out that she did some auto-tuning. I will receive new unprocessed tracks. Will post them here again once I receive them to hear the difference........
avk

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:10 pm

Fair enough. Glad you got to the bottom of it. :thumbup:
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound