You are here

Microphone maintenance query

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Microphone maintenance query

Postby rggillespie » Sun Jul 05, 2020 12:52 pm

I'm just checking I'm doing the right thing and hoping for some advice. I keep my mics out on stands ready for use for vocals and guitar recording and ideally I'd like them out and have them ready for use and not back in their boxes. The room is a little dusty so I've got them with a handkerchief and a pop sock covering the diaphragm when not in use. One has a foam windshield so its just that and a hankie over it, is this enough protection for the delicate capsules? I'm not sure if my diy approach is enough, or are there better solutions that I'm unaware of, for keeping them in good condition and working at their optimum?
rggillespie
Regular

Re: Microphone maintenance query

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sun Jul 05, 2020 1:10 pm

I think a polythene bag (like a freezer bag) might provide rather better dust protection than a hankie...
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby The Red Bladder » Sun Jul 05, 2020 1:40 pm

rggillespie wrote: are there better solutions that I'm unaware of, for keeping them in good condition and working at their optimum?
Yes.

Put them back in their boxes!
The Red Bladder
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Freelance Subversive » Sun Jul 05, 2020 1:54 pm

The Red Bladder wrote:
rggillespie wrote: are there better solutions that I'm unaware of, for keeping them in good condition and working at their optimum?
Yes.

Put them back in their boxes!

As above — it’ll better protect them from potential trauma when not in use; also, periodic cleaning of the room they are used in.
Freelance Subversive
Poster

Postby James Perrett » Sun Jul 05, 2020 2:07 pm

Like Hugh, I just hang a freezer bag over them when not in use. I used to just use the foam windshield as protection for the U87 until it started disintegrating and leaving foam particles on the grille.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby ManFromGlass » Sun Jul 05, 2020 2:54 pm

I use freezer bags too. But if I have one over a ribbon mic I put it on and remove it very slowly as I’m concerned about gusts of air on the ribbon. Perhaps I’m unduly paranoid about that.
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby CS70 » Sun Jul 05, 2020 3:30 pm

All mics in boxes here.

Following Eddy Deegan's suggestion here, I got myself an air purifier and the dust's much less of an issue in general, so that can help as well,
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby rggillespie » Sun Jul 05, 2020 5:39 pm

Many thanks for the tips, I’ve followed Eddy’s advice and got a purifier. Along with the freezer bags now in place, I feel the mics are safe and sorted. Worth looking after them as I hope they’ll be the first and last I ever buy. Worryingly though I think if I keep reading SOS I’m in danger of becoming a micaholic!
rggillespie
Regular

Postby CS70 » Sun Jul 05, 2020 7:32 pm

rggillespie wrote:Many thanks for the tips, I’ve followed Eddy’s advice and got a purifier. Along with the freezer bags now in place, I feel the mics are safe and sorted. Worth looking after them as I hope they’ll be the first and last I ever buy. Worryingly though I think if I keep reading SOS I’m in danger of becoming a micaholic!

Not to worry, we have a club :bouncy:
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page