You are here

Small footprint line mixers

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Small footprint line mixers

Postby al_diablo » Sun Jul 05, 2020 2:12 pm

I have an old pedalboard I want to convert to a portable rig, based around my digitakt but also with a craftsynth 2, a couple of volcas and a couple of pocket operators.

I liked the idea of the bastl dude but the behringer mx400 is much cheaper. Mono inputs are fine, and I'll monitor and record through the digitakt so it doesnt need any usb or headphone capability. I looked at the volca mix too but it doesnt really fit the bill.

Any alternatives i should consider or any reason to avoid the behringer? It is suspiciously cheap!

Alex
al_diablo
Regular

Re: Small footprint line mixers

Postby fatbenelton » Sun Jul 05, 2020 2:39 pm

the Behringer only has 4 channels vs the 5 of the Dude...sounds like you have more than 4 sources?
fatbenelton
Frequent Poster
Jonny

Postby al_diablo » Sun Jul 05, 2020 3:27 pm

It's 5 mono sources so I could run 4 of them into the behringer, the behringer output into one input of the digitakt and the other source into the other digitakt in.

But, I'm also less likely to use both the pocket operators with the other gear, more as a source for sampling and could swap them in and out.
al_diablo
Regular

Postby resistorman » Sun Jul 05, 2020 6:26 pm

You'd get a lot more bang for your buck with something like this:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... pact-mixer
resistorman
Frequent Poster

Postby Arpangel » Mon Jul 06, 2020 7:24 am

I bought one of these for my Pocket Operators, a synth, and a drum machine, it’s more than good enough, it’s a great budget solution.

https://www.thomann.de/gb/the_t.mix_mix_802.htm
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby al_diablo » Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:48 am

Thanks for the replies,

Sadly having looked at the spec sheets and had a measure up, I actually cant squeeze anything bigger than the behringer into the case I'm using, which is an absolutel necessity because I'm trying to keep everything packaged up together, wire-free and baby-proof.

I'm going to try the behringer, will report back in here if it works.

Should have said, this is only for sketching out ideas and jamming in my living room, I have a mackie 1620 and multiple audio interface inputs for anything 'serious'
al_diablo
Regular

Postby Arpangel » Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:12 am

al_diablo wrote:Thanks for the replies,

Sadly having looked at the spec sheets and had a measure up, I actually cant squeeze anything bigger than the behringer into the case I'm using, which is an absolutel necessity because I'm trying to keep everything packaged up together, wire-free and baby-proof.

I'm going to try the behringer, will report back in here if it works.

Should have said, this is only for sketching out ideas and jamming in my living room, I have a mackie 1620 and multiple audio interface inputs for anything 'serious'

Yes, no point in spending too much on this, I’ve got an MX400, useful bit of kit, but have you looked at the Maker Hart Loop Mixer? that’s only about twice the size of the Berry, and it’s stereo.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby resistorman » Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:35 pm

Arpangel wrote:I bought one of these for my Pocket Operators, a synth, and a drum machine, it’s more than good enough, it’s a great budget solution.

Nice, for cheap too! It looks a bit familiar...
resistorman
Frequent Poster

Postby shufflebeat » Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:59 pm

resistorman wrote:
Arpangel wrote:I bought one of these for my Pocket Operators, a synth, and a drum machine, it’s more than good enough, it’s a great budget solution.

I think you're Mackieng too much of this.

...just my $12.02 worth.
shufflebeat
Jedi Poster
"Dancing Queen - feel the heat from the tangerine, ooh yeah!"

Do yourself a favour, wear earplugs at gigs.

Postby Arpangel » Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:33 pm

shufflebeat wrote:
resistorman wrote:

I think you're Mackieng too much of this.

...just my $12.02 worth.

Yeah! :D
It’s cheap and very cheerful, and really well built. Makes you wonder, I haven’t used it on anything major, but so far it’s just done the job, as a little mixer for my Monotron's and PO's.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster