You are here

Studio One 3 Artist and 96kHz recordings problem

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Studio One 3 Artist and 96kHz recordings problem

Postby marco.swe » Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:40 pm

Hello guys,

2 questions:

1) I have recorded a 4 channel Polywave file with my F8n at 96kHz sample rate (without using the PC).
When I import the file in Studio one 3 Artist the song setup let me choose only from 41.1 or 48kHz.
Why I cannot choose 96kHz as song sample rate?

2)I had the following setup:
-Matched pair RODE NT55 on X/Y setup on channel1 and channel2
-Matched pair NEUMANN K184 on X/Y setup on channel3 and channel4

Recording setup: Tr1-8+L/R (Poly)

The ideas was to perform 2 different stereo recordings with 2 different types of mics.
As results I have got a single Wave file with 6 audio waves in it. In order to work with these data in post, it looks I need to split the tracks in separate mono files first and import them again.

The question is: which is the benefit in using a polywave file when you anyway need to split the track in multiple files in order to work with them?

What I expected as output was a single wave file that, once imported in my DAW (Studio One Artist), It would have shown each channel on a separate track.

What am I doing/thinking wrong? How do I know which file is which channel once I split the polywave file in separate files?

Thanks for your help!
marco.swe
Poster

Re: Studio One 3 Artist and 96kHz recordings problem

Postby marco.swe » Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:42 pm

Here how it looks in Studio One:
https://imgur.com/6iz6IUe
marco.swe
Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:56 pm

marco.swe wrote:Why I cannot choose 96kHz as song sample rate?

Does your interface support 96kHz?

The question is: which is the benefit in using a polywave file when you anyway need to split the track in multiple files in order to work with them?

I've not used Studio One, I'm afraid, but DAWs with a focus on audio-for-picture post production can usually handle polywavs directly. And the benefit is then that a single drag and drop action places all ten tracks (or whatever) straight into the right track places in the right order.

What I expected as output was a single wave file that, once imported in my DAW (Studio One Artist), It would have shown each channel on a separate track.

Yes, that's exactly what happens in DAWs that understand polywavs.

How do I know which file is which channel once I split the polywave file in separate files?

Normally the program that does the splitting will append each mono wav file with a number to identify the channels. WaveAgent is a free file manipulation programme from Sound Devices that is popular amongst professionals for splitting polywavs.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby innerchord » Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:11 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:Normally the program that does the splitting will append each mono wav file with a number to identify the channels. WaveAgent is a free file manipulation programme from Sound Devices that is popular amongst professionals for splitting polywavs.

The split facility is built into Studio One, as shown in the OPs screenshot.
The files will be split in order, so you should know which is which.
innerchord
Regular

Postby marco.swe » Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:25 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:
marco.swe wrote:Why I cannot choose 96kHz as song sample rate?

I am working on Studio One with Windows10. Doesn't Windows10 support 96kHz?

DAWs with a focus on audio-for-picture post production can usually handle polywavs directly. And the benefit is then that a single drag and drop action places all ten tracks (or whatever) straight into the right track places in the right order.
When I import the file in Studio One it looks like the picture attached, therefore without a channel structure or track names.

Yes, that's exactly what happens in DAWs that understand polywavs.
Maybe Studio One 3 Artist doesn't understand Polywave?

How do I know which file is which channel once I split the polywave file in separate files?

Normally the program that does the splitting will append each mono wav file with a number to identify the channels. WaveAgent is a free file manipulation programme from Sound Devices that is popular amongst professionals for splitting polywavs.

When I split the file into mono files, I get separate files with a number that, probably, is the same as the channel. Anyway the L+R track was numbered 5 and 6 while those channel were not used ....
marco.swe
Poster

Postby marco.swe » Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:27 pm

innerchord wrote:
Hugh Robjohns wrote:Normally the program that does the splitting will append each mono wav file with a number to identify the channels. WaveAgent is a free file manipulation programme from Sound Devices that is popular amongst professionals for splitting polywavs.
The split facility is built into Studio One, as shown in the OPs screenshot.
The files will be split in order, so you should know which is which.

Studio One seems able to manage the PolyWaves as it shows the different waves. I just cannot find a way to have them in separate tracks. The only way seems to the to split the single polywave file in different mono files and import them again in a separate step
marco.swe
Poster

Postby blinddrew » Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:18 pm

That's what you have to do (I think) in Reaper. I just duplicate the polywav however many times I need it and then isolate the mono or stereo track I need from the polywav on each separate track.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby MOF » Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:24 am

marco.swe wrote:

Hugh asked you if your interface operates at 96khz, not the operating system.
MOF
Frequent Poster

Postby marco.swe » Mon Jul 06, 2020 6:49 am

MOF wrote:
marco.swe wrote:

Hugh asked you if your interface operates at 96khz, not the operating system.
Hi MOF. I am probably confused; will try to explain:

I have used the f8n as recorder directly on its SD cards and therefore I didn't record with it as audio interface.

I have then imported the 96kHz wav files into my DAW without using an audio interface but using Windows10 and my standard audio card in my PC (Realtek audio). Is it that device that gives the limitation then? I see in the f8n manual that when it is used as audio interface it can work with 44.1 or 48kHz. How to work with 96kHz files then?

Thanks for your help!
marco.swe
Poster

Postby James Perrett » Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:31 am

marco.swe wrote:I have then imported the 96kHz wav files into my DAW without using an audio interface but using Windows10 and my standard audio card in my PC (Realtek audio). Is it that device that gives the limitation then? I see in the f8n manual that when it is used as audio interface it can work with 44.1 or 48kHz. How to work with 96kHz files then?

Yes - it is quite possible that the Realtek audio device doesn't support high sample rates. I don't know how Studio One handles this, but Reaper will just automatically downsample everything to match the hardware.

According to the website the F8n can work as an audio interface with sample rates up to 96kHz. It is also possible that the Artist version of Studio One has a sample rate limitation - it appears that the processing engine is different to Studio One pro.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:43 am

Another possibility is that other programs running in Windows are forcing your soundcard to stick to the base rates. Looking around on the Presonus forums others have had trouble with this too. Toggling the 'Exclusive Mode' in the sound card control window has helped some.

Perhaps the easiest workaround, though, would be to load the Zoom drivers and use the F8n as your sound interface when working with the Presonus DAW.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby MOF » Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:32 pm

Is it that device that gives the limitation then?
Yes, as James and Hugh have replied. I hope you got sorted.
MOF
Frequent Poster

Postby The Red Bladder » Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:41 pm

96kHz - if your soundcard goes to 48 and not 96 then that 's why the limitation. Check (W-Explorer - This PC - system properties - sound - )

Why 96? Your mics only go to about 22 or 24kHz.

Any video editor will split your polywave, at least Premier, Vegas Pro 17 and DaVinci-Resolve will.
The Red Bladder
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby marco.swe » Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:41 am

Thank you guys!
Yes, 96khz recording is nothing I really need. Was mainly as a test.

I have done other tests in a studio:

Rode NT55 with cardioid capsules in XY setup
Neumann KM184 (cardioid) in XY setup
https://imgur.com/fx1jN7J

Rode NT55 with omni capsules in AB setup (20cm distance)
Neumann KM183 (omni) in AB setup (20cm distance)
https://imgur.com/acAKM2K

No EQ or Effects. The room was sound isolated with a lot of absorbing panels on walls and roof.
Here the clip: https://drive.google.com/file/d/15ulzWp ... 1j2Jz/view

Without a nice ambient sound all these tests doesn't say much but was mainly done in order to try out and, hopefully, learn something.

Tomorrow I will record again Bach (Chacconne) in the church. I was thinking (as I only have the Rode mics available) to use the RODE NT55 with cardioid caps in XY setup. Do you think is a good idea or shall I give another try to the omni caps in A-B setup? How would you place them to start with?

Thank you :-)
marco.swe
Poster

Postby marco.swe » Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:47 pm

The Red Bladder wrote:96kHz - if your soundcard goes to 48 and not 96 then that 's why the limitation. Check (W-Explorer - This PC - system properties - sound - )

Why 96? Your mics only go to about 22 or 24kHz.

Any video editor will split your polywave, at least Premier, Vegas Pro 17 and DaVinci-Resolve will.

HI again, what do you mean with "Your mics only go to about 22 or 24kHz"?
96kHz was related to sampling rate. Or am I misunderstanding something? :-)
marco.swe
Poster

Next