You are here

Studio One 3 Artist and 96kHz recordings problem

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Re: Studio One 3 Artist and 96kHz recordings problem

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:09 pm

marco.swe wrote:what do you mean with "Your mics only go to about 22 or 24kHz"?
96kHz was related to sampling rate. Or am I misunderstanding something? :-)

A 96kHz sample rate can, in theory, capture audio signals up to a fraction under 48kHz... But standard microphones start to roll-off Slightly below or above 20kHz, and few are sensitive to signals above 25kHz...

So the implication is that there would be no signal to record above about 24kHz or so.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby James Perrett » Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:45 pm

However, analogue synths can go quite a bit higher than 24kHz. I often have a spectrum analyser active when I'm digitising old master tapes and it is interesting to see just how much energy there is up there on some types of music. Of course there's also rubbish up there too sometimes.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby Eddy Deegan » Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:49 am

James Perrett wrote:However, analogue synths can go quite a bit higher than 24kHz. I often have a spectrum analyser active when I'm digitising old master tapes and it is interesting to see just how much energy there is up there on some types of music. Of course there's also rubbish up there too sometimes.

Interesting. This ties in well to a conversation I was having with Eddie Bazil a while ago while he was fighting to tame a particularly ambitious mix of mine, The gist of it was that a good analogue synth can pretty much own the entire audio spectrum and them some; notching out frequencies for other parts wasn't enough in one case and we had to drop the entire part from the mix to make anything work at all.

The bottom line is that something you can 'hear in your head', and can even get a rough mix of, doesn't always work out in reality when you're trying to get a good mix.
Eddy Deegan
Some of my works
The 2nd SOS Forum Album project

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:10 am

James Perrett wrote:However, analogue synths can go quite a bit higher than 24kHz.

Something to do with all those square-wave and triangle wave generators I expect! :D

I was referring to typical mics, of course.

But with respect to the synths, it comes back to the popular argument about whether or not those ultra-sonic elements can genuinely be heard, or whether they cause artefacts within the 20-20k band that can be heard...
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Previous