You are here

Does such a thing even exist.

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Re: Does such a thing even exist.

Postby Matt D » Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:03 am

DGL. wrote:Note that a DI box is only essential if you want to fully remove any chance of accidentally applying phantom power your synths/line output devices or provide some isolation for the removal of noise/ground loops, the XLR inputs are designed to be able to take line inputs natively and as such a simple 1/4" to XLR adaptor/lead should work just fine for most applications.

good to know - I've always just stuck with 1/4" to Male XLR and everything has been okay so far, so I will let sleeping dogs lie. Thank you for your comment.
Matt D
Regular

Postby Sam Spoons » Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:26 am

Wot DGL sez :thumbup: *

But if you're going to buy DI boxes Orchid Electronics do both active DI boxes and passive transformer isolate boxes for very reasonable prices. The active DI's start at £28, or £46 for a dual version (handy for stereo instruments), the 'Transformer Isolator' is 1:1 so does not reduce the signal to mic level like a conventional DI but does provide a means of breaking earth loops. £24 single, £36 dual.

* Over the years I have built up a collection of DI boxes so it makes sense to use them. If I had loads of synths I think I would just make special cables.

http://orchid-electronics.co.uk/micro.htm

http://orchid-electronics.co.uk/trans.htm
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Dan LB » Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:56 am

Sam Spoons wrote: If I had loads of synths I think I would just make special cables.

And make damn sure that phantom is switched off on all channels that don't require it!
Dan LB
Frequent Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:08 am

:D Abso-bloody-lutely.....

I did have a discussion over on the X32 forum regarding exactly this issue and did not find a reliable way of making sure phantom could not be accidentally activated. I'll revisit the thread in case anything new gas come up (I don't go there much since they changed the forum software as it is almost impossible to navigate now, it's more like facebook than a 'proper' forum :madas: )
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Matt D » Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:46 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:The Qu16 is a lovely desk, less powerful than the X32 but, as a consequence, more 'user friendly'. The the nearest X32 to the Qu16 is the Producer but I bought the Compact, mainly for the LCD scribble strips (massively useful IMHO, but I do have the memory of a gnat....).

The X32 (any flavour) is quite a lot more powerful, expandable and configurable than the Qu16, whether the extra I/O and flexibility is worth more than the more analogue-like workflow of the Qu is your call but both are excellent mixers.

The X32 Compact costs £1155 at thomann today, the Qu16 is £1398.

You very kindly answered all of my questions a couple of weeks ago and I have since purchased an X32 compact, with the recording module and 2 x SD cards. It is precisely what I was looking for and the routing options are very easy to use and the GUI is very intuitive.

Only one small question, as I know you have used one. How do I stop the bloody AUX lights from blinking (on the right hand side). I can see that each Aux is linked to an effect (I think) - but have you ever noticed your keeps flashing on and off?
Matt D
Regular

Postby Eddy Deegan » Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:05 am

I can't answer the question about the AUX light blinking but I'm glad you found a solution that works for you in every other respect :thumbup:
Eddy Deegan
Some of my works.
Please consider submitting an original track to the 2nd SOS Forum Album project!

Postby Sam Spoons » Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:44 am

I'm guessing you mean the assignable buttons on the bottom right? A couple of them default to 'tap tempo' I guess? I tend to use them for mute groups and if you assign them to that function they don't flash.

Glad you like the X32 :thumbup:
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby Matt D » Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:18 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:I'm guessing you mean the assignable buttons on the bottom right? A couple of them default to 'tap tempo' I guess? I tend to use them for mute groups and if you assign them to that function they don't flash.

Glad you like the X32 :thumbup:

Perfect - thank you again.

I tried to use the forum over at Behringer, but it was dreadful. Like some early attempt at a BBS and about the same speed.
Matt D
Regular

Postby Sam Spoons » Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:15 pm

The Berry forum software is rubbish but there are a fair few knowledgable and helpful people over there and the manners are very civilised, much more like here than places like GS. I do bob in occasionally, probably shoud visit more to get used toe the dodgy sw.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby Matt D » Sat Jul 25, 2020 6:43 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:The Berry forum software is rubbish but there are a fair few knowledgable and helpful people over there and the manners are very civilised, much more like here than places like GS. I do bob in occasionally, probably shoud visit more to get used toe the dodgy sw.

I have now used the X32 for a few days, with the X-live card and X32 edit app and I have noticed an issue.

Am I right in thinking you can't add a track at a time when recording. For example, you records piano in tracks 1 and 2 and you would then like to add a second piano on tracks 3 and 4.

You can't add anything onto tracks 3 and 4, while listening to the playback on tracks 1 and 2? You can set a block on inputs to either play from the card or play from the input, but you can't do both.
Matt D
Regular

Postby Sam Spoons » Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:40 pm

Matt D, I don't have the X-Live card so I can't help directly. I record using the X-USB card into Reaper.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby Matt D » Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:58 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:Matt D, I don't have the X-Live card so I can't help directly. I record using the X-USB card into Reaper.

Thank you anyway. I can see where this is all going, I will end up going from the X32 into a DAW, just what I was trying to avoid.

But I suppose, the reality is, you just can't escape a DAW in the end and one way or another, you and up in a DAW.
Matt D
Regular

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:02 pm

Synchronous overdubbing is quite a tricky thing to do, technically, and very few hardware digital recorders offer that facility. Most, like the X-Live card, offer recording or playback of tracks, but not synchronous overdubbing.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Matt D » Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:14 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:Synchronous overdubbing is quite a tricky thing to do, technically, and very few hardware digital recorders offer that facility. Most, like the X-Live card, offer recording or playback of tracks, but not synchronous overdubbing.

Thank you - and I must add, I do find this really odd. Even in the days of the Fostex 280, we could record on one track and punch-in and out and also listen to the recording and record on the next rack, at the same time??

Does this mean mixers such as the Soundcraft Si Impact, Behringer WIng, Presonus 32SC etc - and all of the others around that price bracket, don't allow you to record and playback at the same time??
Matt D
Regular

Previous