You are here

A "Boring Thing" That Drives Me Nuts In The Studio

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Re: A "Boring Thing" That Drives Me Nuts In The Studio

Postby MOF » Thu Jul 09, 2020 7:26 pm

You can cover your cables with long strips of rubber mats, used for H&S reasons but also literally covers up an eyesore e.g.
https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/C ... gJYkfD_BwE
MOF
Frequent Poster

Postby CS70 » Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:34 pm

mac.churchmouse wrote:the last thing I want is tangles of looped and drooped cables straggling behind everything and dribbling along the floor, making the studio seem crowded and confused.

Nga mihi nui, many thanks, Glenn

Ikea and velcro to the rescue!

On the back of my (Ikea) desk I have attached a couple of Ikea's picture ledges - specifically this one https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/mosslanda- ... -70292104/

It's super cheap, and allows you to place the cables over it, bundled together with velcro strips (and the bundles are labeled), and a little velcro adhesive on the ledge ensures that there's no drooping cables and they don't move. Yet when you want to rewire, it's as simple as tugging the velcro and undo the bundle.

Now if I only found a solution for the amplifiers and other stuff I have under the desk.. :D
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby mac.churchmouse » Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:30 am

Wow! Thanks everyone for al the great ideas.
Now to do some research and planning (which may take some time as I have a learning disability :tongue: ).

Re: Labelling cables - how do folks do that?

Cheers, Glenn
mac.churchmouse
Regular

Postby Eddy Deegan » Fri Jul 10, 2020 3:09 am

mac.churchmouse wrote:Re: Labelling cables - how do folks do that?

I think you are in the US? I am in the UK, and use the British equivalent of one of these: https://www.amazon.com/Brother-PTH110-P ... 01J3WQ360/

The US model is slightly different than my UK version but the Brother label printers are really good. The one I have can print labels suitable for wrapping around cables as well as various other configurations, the refills are cheap, the cartidges last for ages, I've printed 200 or so labels and have yet to change batteries, the labels are good quality and it's a doddle to use.
Eddy Deegan
Some of my works
The 2nd SOS Forum Album project

Postby mac.churchmouse » Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:36 am

Eddy Deegan wrote:

I think you are in the US?.
I'm in Australia - but probably similar Brother products are available here. Do they have a choice of tape types and is there one you'd recommend?
Thanks, Glenn
mac.churchmouse
Regular

Postby Sam Spoons » Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:37 am

Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:49 am

I've been using these self-laminating wrap-around labels after a recommendation on hear some time ago (they are available through Amazon, too).

http://mr-label.com/product/mr-label-25-4-x-57-2mm-self-laminating-white-wrap-around-cable-labels-laser-printer-only-for-wire-marker-identification

I print the required idents using the Dymo printer mentioned above, just so it's neat and tidy.

You can print onto the labels directly with a laser printer and, if you're careful, with an inkjet... however, I found inkjet printing smudges easily when fitting, and you have to print a whole page at a time which isn't always convenient. Printing individual labels on the Dymo is quicker and easier...

So I cut the dymo label to length (if necessary) and stick it onto the white space on the wrap-around label before wrapping that around the cable as required. It gives a very neat, professional and long-lasting result.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby ef37a » Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:03 am

Heh! I had some software that allowed you to print very neat 'slide in' labels for rack network gear but it was on a floppy and you would need 3.1!

Like the look of that USB printer...

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:25 am

I've been using the dymo USB printer for years and it is excellent.

https://www.dymo.com/en-US/labelmanager-pnp-label-maker

There are more complicated versions, but this one does everything I need very easily and conveniently, with superb results. You can get tape cassettes in a range of sizes and different colour combinations.

When plugged in it appears as a thumb-drive containing the (simple) operating software, but there's also a more sophisticated downloadable application which I tend to use.

The only maintenance required is occasional cleaning of the print head with the provided brush. When it gets dirty the print suffers 'dropouts' a bit like a clogged inkjet... but it's much quicker and easier to restore!
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby DGL. » Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:01 pm

Brother PT-D600VP user here, can print up to 24mm and as such can print on the printable heatshrink too, built in keyboard and colour screen for making labels without a PC. Both the unit itself and the companion PC/MAC software has wizards for cable labelling, both for wraparound and flag type labels.
Powered by either the included AC/DC adaptor or 6? AA batteries (which last ages) and comes in a blow moulded case that takes not only the machine itself, but the power adaptor, manual, USB lead and a few label cartridges.
The non-genuine tape is really cheap (about £4 for a 24mm cassette) and seems to be of decent quality.
If you go for one of the Brother PC/MAC only labellers (the ones which have no way to make labels directly on the device) then for PC use you can use it like a USB stick with no driver or software installation, it all runs of the labellers internal memory.
DGL.
Frequent Poster

Postby CS70 » Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:26 pm

mac.churchmouse wrote:
Eddy Deegan wrote:

I think you are in the US?.
I'm in Australia - but probably similar Brother products are available here. Do they have a choice of tape types and is there one you'd recommend?
Thanks, Glenn

Honestly, while the tech way is cooler and I always wanted one of these labeling machines since I was like 8 (and never owned one!), I typically cut some pieces of paper, write on them with a felt tip pen, cover with transparent scotch tape and I'm done. :D
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby mac.churchmouse » Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:12 am

Thanks for sharing all your expertise and experience. :thumbup:
Much appreciated
Glenn
mac.churchmouse
Regular

Postby monospace » Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:59 am

For keeping cable runs together, I have found these spiral cable wraps very helpful. Granted, the wrapping itself can be a bit of a chore, especially on long runs, but if you approach it with a bit of zen it can be quite relaxing as well. Comes in pretty colors and can be cut to size.

https://www.amazon.com/Electriduct-Poly ... B016045OY6
monospace
New here

Postby mac.churchmouse » Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:32 am

monospace wrote:For keeping cable runs together, I have found these spiral cable wraps very helpful.
https://www.amazon.com/Electriduct-Poly ... B016045OY6

Ooo, they're nice! Thanks, Glenn
mac.churchmouse
Regular

Postby blinddrew » Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:13 am

They're on my list for tidying up the back of my desk once I've resoldered some cables. :)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

PreviousNext