You are here

A "Boring Thing" That Drives Me Nuts In The Studio

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Re: A "Boring Thing" That Drives Me Nuts In The Studio

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:37 am

Not a huge fan of spiral wrapping here, especially for long runs because the resulting loom becomes very stiff and inflexible and tends to take on a mind of its own... That said, it is handy if you have a loom with a lot of cables exiting at different points along the run, and it's okay where it's installed in the back of something and left alone for ten years...

Where it's a loom for cables to something that gets moved around, I much prefer to use expanding braid, secured with heatshrink sleeves at each end. It looks neater, it doesn't snag on things, and it remains flexible...
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Folderol » Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:41 am

I've been using spiral wrap for years, only I cut it into short lengths and space them out. Much quicker and easier to fit, and the whole thing doesn't become stiff and unmanageable.
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Yes. I am that Linux nut.
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:02 am

Folderol wrote:I cut it into short lengths and space them out. Much quicker and easier to fit, and the whole thing doesn't become stiff and unmanageable.

:D Yes, I do that too... Very practical for holding cables together in the backs or racks etc. Doesn't get the domestic seal of approval though.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Previous