You are here

No questions asked

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

No questions asked

Postby awjoe » Fri Jul 10, 2020 4:55 am

Is there a piece of gear, which if you lost it, broke it or had it stolen, you would simply replace immediately, regardless of cost?
awjoe
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Music production is like finding a good hair dresser

Re: No questions asked

Postby innerchord » Fri Jul 10, 2020 5:41 am

No!
...thinks...
No!!
...thinks some more...
Still no :!:

Gear is unimportant. It's all audio ephemera in my opinion.
What's important is the music it produces. That is all.
innerchord
Regular

Postby ConcertinaChap » Fri Jul 10, 2020 5:49 am

Are you drawing a distinction between music technology as gear and musical instruments here? I couldn't manage without my concertinas and indeed I have them well insured. Audio interfaces and mics and such, well, they'd get replaced but there wouldn't be quite the urgency.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
We are normal and we want our freedom!.

Postby IAA » Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:43 am

My Kronos 88. Everything else (including my analog synths) I’d have at least a think about before rebuying!
IAA
Frequent Poster

Postby awjoe » Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:44 am

ConcertinaChap wrote:Are you drawing a distinction between music technology as gear and musical instruments here? I couldn't manage without my concertinas and indeed I have them well insured. Audio interfaces and mics and such, well, they'd get replaced but there wouldn't be quite the urgency.

CC

I thought about that, but I wanted to leave it up to you. I have some acoustic instruments that I would replace immediately if possible, but of course I could never exactly replace them because each one is singular. But if my Zoom H6 left my life, I would replace it immediately, and I expect the replacement would be virtually identical in function and sound to the unit I've got now.
awjoe
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Music production is like finding a good hair dresser

Postby Arpangel » Fri Jul 10, 2020 7:33 am

innerchord wrote:No!
...thinks...
No!!
...thinks some more...
Still no :!:

Gear is unimportant. It's all audio ephemera in my opinion.
What's important is the music it produces. That is all.

I feel the same, no.
We can express ourselves and make music, if that’s are chosen medium, with anything.
Although, take away my piano and I’d be a bit miffed.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby BJG145 » Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:16 am

For as long as I can remember, I've felt pretty impatient if I'm waiting for something - on a bus, in a car, in a queue, with nothing to do. Once I'd have a paperback crammed into a pocket. Currently I'm taking my Dualo pretty much everywhere, and I'd miss that most.
BJG145
Jedi Poster

Postby The Elf » Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:19 am

On the contrary, I'd replace most of mine. I've spent a lifetime building a collection of gear that allows me to make the music I make. I cannot imagine life without my MiniMoog, Taurus, Pro-One, MKS-70... They inspire me in a way that other synths don't.

Of course there are options now that don't involve paying ridiculous sums for originals, and that would be fine with me.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Arpangel » Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:24 am

I’m missing my Buchla, I’m realising it’s the thing that’s left the most good memories.
I may have to buy it back off the guy.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:22 am

Arpangel wrote:I may have to buy it back off the guy.

You remind me of the bumblebee in my conservatory yesterday. Just continually bouncing off the windows ... and every time I thought it was on the verge of escape it would inexplicably veer off and head back down the other end again... :lol:
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Sam Spoons » Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:22 am

In most cases the loss, failure or sale of a piece of gear would be an excuse to buy a better piece of gear. Like CC the things I would miss most are mostly irreplaceable, my Les Paul Custom, my Brian Eastwood acoustic, my Eastwood Jazz box and my Rob Aylward (in fact, most of my guitars and basses, I do have a couple I could live without) The point being that another LP Custom would be just another LP Custom, not my LP Custom so there would be little point in replacing it 'like for like'. So, probably Emerald X7 is the only guitar I could replace with another identical one and I probably would do so.

WRT electronic kit, I'd replace the X32 Compact and the 18 watt combo and my MBP without thinking twice.

Every so often I think about what I could live without if I had to radically downsize...... I find it quite depressing :(
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby blinddrew » Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:35 am

Hmmm. In terms of studio gear, my stuff is all very basic and easily replaceable. There are a couple of things i might look to improve (a better pair of SDCs for example) but if it was a like-for-like insurance job i'd be quite happy.
Instruments would be a bit different because I have some emotional attachment, particularly to the ones i've built myself, but weirdly probably the one i'd most want to replace quickly (and directly) would be my Variax Acoustic. Just because the features have become such an integral part of how our band's live set works.

Not that we're gigging at the moment obviously...
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Arpangel » Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:45 am

Hugh Robjohns wrote:
Arpangel wrote:I may have to buy it back off the guy.

You remind me of the bumblebee in my conservatory yesterday. Just continually bouncing off the windows ... and every time I thought it was on the verge of escape it would inexplicably veer off and head back down the other end again... :lol:

My doctor would agree with you, he was always saying "but why, just tell me why?"
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby Folderol » Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:56 am

I work almost entirely in the box, so hardware wise, nothing would really bother me except the cost of replacement, and I seem to have at least two of everything.
Software wise, I not only keep local copies, but things I consider important, like Yoshimi, are also on github, so again, it would be an irritation rather than an issue.
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Yes. I am that Linux nut.
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Postby jaminem » Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:04 pm

yeah, loads of stuff actually

My music computer, without which there is no way of recording, my KH310's and Dangerous D-Box, my console one, my CC121...

They are all integral to the way I work....

Then there's the guitars and basses...
jaminem
Frequent Poster

Next