You are here

Any one tried Magnetite tape emulation plugin?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Any one tried Magnetite tape emulation plugin?

Postby Dr Huge Longjohns » Fri Jul 10, 2020 4:58 pm

Magnetite tape emulation plug from Black Rooster Audio. Focusrite giving it away at the mo to customers so anyone used it/tried it out?

Here's the maker's site: https://blackroosteraudio.com/en/products/magnetite
Dr Huge Longjohns
Frequent Poster (Level2)
"The performance is 99.9% of what people hear"- J. Leckie
"It's all complete nonsense, anyone who knows what they're doing can deliver great results with whatever comes to hand" - H. Robjohns

Re: Any one tried Magnetite tape emulation plugin?

Postby desmond » Fri Jul 10, 2020 5:30 pm

I think I tried it a while back when I was on the hunt for some tapey vibe, but settled on something different.

Honestly, everyone's idea of what "tape" means and sounds like to them is so different, all you can really do is try stuff out, and see whether it works for you or not.
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby Dr Huge Longjohns » Fri Jul 10, 2020 7:23 pm

Yes, I agree. I'm trying to be more choosy of late, though, about plugins I load up, even though it's free so just wondered if anyone had a view. Was there something specific about it you didn't like or did it just not impress generally?
Dr Huge Longjohns
Frequent Poster (Level2)
"It's all complete nonsense, anyone who knows what they're doing can deliver great results with whatever comes to hand" - H. Robjohns

Postby desmond » Fri Jul 10, 2020 7:47 pm

Dr Huge Longjohns wrote:Was there something specific about it you didn't like or did it just not impress generally?

It was a while ago, and I tried out a bunch, so I can't really remember any specifics.

Most likely it just wasn't the tape sound I was after - there are quite a few of those type of plugins I don't really like, ones that are crunchy or too aggressive or too smeary...
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby Freelance Subversive » Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:29 pm

Seeing as it is gratis, why not register and decide later whether or not you want to try it? This is what I’ve done with many of the “plug-in-collective” offers, then stored them in separate folder, with all relevant information in a text file and investigate when there may be a use for one.

As for the Magnetite: judging by its demos, I’m not convinced it’ll replace the Softube or Waves J37 tape emulations I already use, but can envision it providing a slightly different colour when desired.
Freelance Subversive
Poster

Postby James Perrett » Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:24 pm

Looks fairly basic to me compared to something like Uhe's Satin.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby forumuser653351 » Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:28 am

I’ve just downloaded this to try out. I only have my laptop and headphones with me at the moment as I’m away from my main set up so my evaluation is limited. But it’s OK - adds a subtle rounding and glue to things. Wow and flutter can get be a bit extreme for me but could be a nice effect. I have a few other plugins that emulate analogue saturation ('warmth/vibe’) so it doesn’t add anything that I haven’t got but nice to have - the kind of plugin that I would add to a buss or master bus to help bring things together.
I honestly can't remember what real tape sounds like, as it's been over 20 years since I've worked with it so I can't comment on it's authenticity.
It was free with my Focusrite account which is very generous of them, for me I don’t think I would have needed to buy it otherwise but nice to have.
forumuser653351
Regular

Postby Honkeur » Sun Jul 12, 2020 6:15 am

I messed with Magnetite for a while -- it OK-ish at being a tape emulator. But -- I found another use for it I like even more: if you combine it in parallel on a source, and turn up the wow and flutter...Magnetite becomes a wild chorus / tape flange / Leslie effect.
Honkeur

Postby Dr Huge Longjohns » Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:44 am

Cool, cheers. That's how it was done originally of course.
Dr Huge Longjohns
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby ceejay » Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:45 pm

Dr Huge Longjohns wrote:Cool, cheers. That's how it was done originally of course.
... now I'm getting flashes of my thumbs on the reel of a Rola Mk III (older Australians will know) ...
ceejay
Regular