You are here

Philip Rees TS1

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Philip Rees TS1

Postby pa28 » Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:29 pm

Last of the many lockdown jobs, re-organising/rationalising my spare bedroom "studio", I found my rarely used and boxed Philip Rees TS1 midi tape sync. Does anyone use/need these now, and is it sellable or should I just be brave & bin it. Also had forgotten the set of 3 Sennheiser m604 mics and mounts that are definitely redundant and presume worth selling.
pa28
Regular
Capitalisation is the difference between helping your uncle jack off a horse  & helping your Uncle Jack off a horse.

Re: Philip Rees TS1

Postby Dave B » Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:08 pm

I'd try sticking it on fleaBay and see if anyone bites. There's bound to be someone out there to whom it is that one thing that they are looking for...

And if you aren't using the 604s then I'd say let them go as well. Looking on the old den of thieves, I see that they are going for around 70quid each for a good one. You either try individually or see if someone will go for the set. If they were a bit cheaper, I'd be tempted myself...
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)

Postby Music Wolf » Sat Jul 11, 2020 5:40 pm

The TS1 brings back memories. I binned mine years ago and haven't had a moments regret - the only tape I use these days is the sticky stuff for wrapping presents (or else I'm removing Gaffa tape from my leads because another band member has 'helpfully' stuck them down despite repeated warnings :madas: ).

The 604s on the other hand should be of some value. New a set of 3 is just over £300 so worth putting up on Fleabay or whatever.
Music Wolf
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby ConcertinaChap » Sat Jul 11, 2020 5:51 pm

Philip Rees made good kit. Someone must want it. I've still got my 5X5 MIDI switch/patchbay and it remains in active use linking all my MIDI gear.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
We are normal and we want our freedom!.

Postby James Perrett » Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:10 pm

ConcertinaChap wrote:Philip Rees made good kit. Someone must want it.

I must admit that I was thinking that it was a budget proprietrary system but it turns out to be a SMPTE to MIDI Time Code convertor with the option of using it with its own proprietrary FSK code if the MIDI device you've hooked it up to doesn't understand MTC. Nowadays DAW's can read SMPTE directly but it could be useful to someone without a DAW.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby keefycal » Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:24 pm

Hi PA28

I was interested to note that you have a TS1. I could be the guy who might actually be interested in it if the price was right. (I saw a comment today on a Tascam forum about someone who bought one on Ebay for £17).

Although I am a normally a Cubase user, I have an, 'old school' Tascam DP32SD portastudio, that has no 'time code' syncing facility. It would be nice to have this option on the odd occasion that I might need to sync. with other Midi gear.

If you still have it, could you let me know...?

Cheers from the Isle of Wight
keefycal

Postby N i g e l » Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:53 pm

I might have one that you can have for the cost of postage. PM me if interested.

There was a bit of a mini resurgence in tape sync interest because they can be used with the small guitar orientated pocket-studios which are without midi or even sync'd MIDI start/stop.
I think that time has passed now ?

----------

A while ago there was a discussion about a special posting area for getting rid of old gear, did anything come about ?
N i g e l
Frequent Poster

Postby N i g e l » Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:12 pm

N i g e l wrote:I think that time has passed now ?

Apparently not, this was last week...... !!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Phillip-Rees ... 3618772677
N i g e l
Frequent Poster

Postby keefycal » Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:04 am

Hi Nigel

I was a little confused by your reply about the TS1. If you do still have it I would be very grateful to take you up on your offer.

I was interested to see the Ebay link that was in the later reply. I missed that one - although it was achieved a very high price compared to the one I noted on the Tascam site.

Thanks for your response. If I can't find one (or something similar) I will need to keep looking.
keefycal

Postby N i g e l » Fri Jul 24, 2020 1:22 pm

Ok, ill dig it out and give it the once over.
I cant remember ever binning it [ ! ] so I must still have it somewhere.
N i g e l
Frequent Poster

Postby pa28 » Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:35 pm

If still wanted, £20+ p&p.

PM if interested.

basically brand new in box.
pa28
Regular
Capitalisation is the difference between helping your uncle jack off a horse  & helping your Uncle Jack off a horse.

Postby keefycal » Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:43 am

Hi again

I'm pleased you found it. I was wondering whether to offer to help you look!

Yes please, I would be happy to pay your price, but I am unsure if it is safe to include my postal address on the forum, and haven't yet figured out how to send a Personal Message. (my email is keefycal@gmail.com).

Thanks for your trouble, and I look forward to hearing from you.
keefycal

Postby zenguitar » Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:56 am

You should now be able to send and receive PMs. Sadly, we had a period where spammers would join and target individual members with spam personal messages, as a result of that we had to remove the facility for new members until their first 3 posts had been approved.

As I've just approved your 3rd post your future posts will appear immediately and you have access to the PM facility.

:D

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
When you see a fork in the road, take it.
Yogi Berra