You are here

Patchbay and Connectors - Quality of Signal

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Re: Patchbay and Connectors - Quality of Signal

Postby paulsmusic » Sat Jul 11, 2020 4:52 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:

However, how often would you need to change the normalling? You'd only need to do that if you completely changed what you have plugged in the back, which only happens with a major reorganisation with replaced, added or removed equipment. How often do you expect to do that?

Good point, I'd probably use it in normal mode most of the time
paulsmusic
Regular

Postby ef37a » Sat Jul 11, 2020 4:53 pm

I am considering a patchbay for my modest cassette dubbing setup but I would lake to buy one that uses solder connections. This is not shown in any photos I have so far seen.
I wish to avoid a row of redundant plugs in the rear.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sat Jul 11, 2020 5:02 pm

The only one I know of for A-type sockets is the Signex CPJ48T which has direct solder terminations on the rear. And I think I've seen another Signex CPJ48 model with multiple D-subs at the back but I can't see a model number for it!

http://www.signex.com/cpj48.html

Almost all the other A-type patchbays have A-type sockets at the rear simply because that's most convenient for the majority of the market.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sat Jul 11, 2020 5:04 pm

paulsmusic wrote:Good point, I'd probably use it in normal mode most of the time

Typically, you'd have some sockets normalled -- eg, inputs to sound desk channels, and sends/returns to effects processors -- and some straight for general pluggable access to standalone devices... but once allocated the normalling doesn't need to change.
Hugh Robjohns

Postby ef37a » Sat Jul 11, 2020 5:06 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:The only one I know of for A-type sockets is the Signex CPJ48T which has direct solder terminations on the rear. And I think I've seen another Signex CPJ48 model with multiple D-subs at the back but I can't see a model number for it!

http://www.signex.com/cpj48.html

Almost all the other A-type patchbays have A-type sockets at the rear simply because that's most convenient for the majority of the market.

Yeah, I am an awkward bugger! Looks like I shall have to pay more for less, like those 'slimmed down' sports cars!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby pt007 » Sat Jul 11, 2020 5:31 pm

ef37a wrote:
Hugh Robjohns wrote:The only one I know of for A-type sockets is the Signex CPJ48T which has direct solder terminations on the rear. And I think I've seen another Signex CPJ48 model with multiple D-subs at the back but I can't see a model number for it!

This one has D-subs, and I do have the option of buying one of these half-price with the Audient) What do you reckon?!

https://www.canford.co.uk/Products/45-1 ... Rear-D-sub
pt007
Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sat Jul 11, 2020 5:37 pm

Yes... but it's TT/bantam, and probably a lot more holes than Dave would want! :lol:
Hugh Robjohns

Postby The Elf » Sat Jul 11, 2020 7:55 pm

paulsmusic wrote:
Hugh Robjohns wrote:Ah yes. I couldn't find him just now... It would be worth asking The Elf what he uses.
Elf...do you have a labels supplier?!
I have an Excel spreadsheet, some clear tape and a few bits of blu-tack!

Allow me to also add that I had a *lot* more trouble with the reliability of my previous Signex bays than I've ever had with the Samsons! In fact I had a Behringer bay that was also much more reliable than my Signex bays!
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sat Jul 11, 2020 8:54 pm

The Elf wrote:Allow me to also add that I had a *lot* more trouble with the reliability of my previous Signex bays than I've ever had with the Samsons!

Which Signex? The low cost Q-patch (with reversible cards), the original (1980s) Isopatch, or the more recently introduced and more expensive Isopatch with sealed sockets that we've been discussing here?
Hugh Robjohns

Postby Sam Spoons » Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:41 pm

I'm curious too, I have a couple of virtually unused Neutrik patch bays, a Signex Q-Patch and a Signex Isopatch (the latter two bought used many years ago). I only need a single patchbay now so am thinking the old Isopatch might be the one to go for? I can't see any significant differences in quality between them but is the old Isopatch likely to be any more reliable than the newer Neutriks?

Dave, if a Neutrik or the Q-Patch is any use to you you can have one for the cost pf postage?
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby James Perrett » Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:20 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:And I think I've seen another Signex CPJ48 model with multiple D-subs at the back but I can't see a model number for it!

There's a picture of it at

http://www.signex.com/cpj_image.html

It is listed as the CPJ48D25 and appears to be available from

https://studiocare.com/products/signex- ... r-contacts

and

https://sxpro.co.uk/signex-isopatch-trs-db25

amongst others.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:35 pm

Good to know I hadn't gone mad! :D Thanks James.

...and it's a British manufacturer too. Another good reason... :lol:
Hugh Robjohns

Postby The Elf » Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:42 pm

I don't know what version mine were. They were labelled CP48, IIRC and had solder tag 'targets' for normalising (a hassle to do - and a bigger hassle to change). If I wanted to change just one normalisation option the whole bay had to be de-cabled and pulled out to get to the soldering - never again!

I was constantly having to reseat cables and clean them to get them working. I've had no such trouble with any other bays.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby jimjazzdad » Sun Jul 12, 2020 4:15 am

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Neutrik patchbays. I have a couple of Neutrik NYS-SPP-L 48-point TRS patchbays that have worked flawlessly for 10 years. I like the way you can just flip the PCB modules to configure each in/out pair for half-normalled, split, or isolated. Reasonably priced. And no soldering (unless you want to save money by making your own interconnect cables). I make label strips in Excel and print them on ledger-sized paper, and glue them on with rubber cement.
jimjazzdad
Regular
Halifax, NS, CANADA

Postby ef37a » Sun Jul 12, 2020 7:09 am

Hugh Robjohns wrote:Yes... but it's TT/bantam, and probably a lot more holes than Dave would want! :lol:

Indeed Hugh. AND a lot more money! I would also have to buy a rake of bantam* jack patch leads'

*Very OT! Used to have a bantam cock at home when I was a kid. Pugnacious bugger and would attack anyone who went in the garden where it had free reign. Trouble was we had an outside lavvy then and I used to have to guide visitors down the path with a broom to fend off the creature!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

PreviousNext