You are here

Patchbay and Connectors - Quality of Signal

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Re: Patchbay and Connectors - Quality of Signal

Postby paulsmusic » Sun Jul 12, 2020 7:22 am

James Perrett wrote:
Hugh Robjohns wrote:And I think I've seen another Signex CPJ48 model with multiple D-subs at the back but I can't see a model number for it!

There's a picture of it at

http://www.signex.com/cpj_image.html

It is listed as the CPJ48D25 and appears to be available from

https://studiocare.com/products/signex- ... r-contacts

and

https://sxpro.co.uk/signex-isopatch-trs-db25

amongst others.

How many ins/out would you be able to get with the DB25s? Just 8?
paulsmusic
Regular

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:30 am

The Elf wrote:They were labelled CP48

Sounds like the previous generation of the Isopatch. I believe the current version was redesigned specifically to improve socket reliability ...

IIRC and had solder tag 'targets' for normalising (a hassle to do - and a bigger hassle to change).

I get that a soldering iron isn't everyone's cup of tea, but it's no hassle at all for me and I much prefer the solder links to yet more switch contacts in the signal path. Changing the normalling -- should it be needed -- is a few moments with a solder-sucker or wick and really not hard at all.

If I wanted to change just one normalisation option the whole bay had to be de-cabled and pulled out to get to the soldering - never again!

I just have to undo the four rack bolts and ease the patch panel forward a couple of inches. The solder pads are on the top at the front, and I made sure there's enough slack in the cabling to allow it to be eased out sufficiently to access them. No unplugging necessary in the unlikely event that I'll need to change any normalling.

But each to their own... It's good that we have options!
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:33 am

jimjazzdad wrote:I'm surprised no one has mentioned Neutrik patchbays.

They have been mentioned... several times...

I'm very glad you've found them reliable -- that evens up the balance of opinion nicely. :-) I've no experience of them myself but I've heard some complaints of unreliability...

It seems we all have different experiences (and possibly different expectations and requirements).
Hugh Robjohns

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:37 am

paulsmusic wrote:How many ins/out would you be able to get with the DB25s? Just 8?

Yes, each 25-pin D-sub carries 8 balanced audio lines (hot, cold, screen, x 8 = 24 pins!)

There are three D-subs on the back of a each PCB on a CPJ48, so 6 in all to access all 48 sockets.... and twelve on a 96-hole Bantam patchbay.
Hugh Robjohns

Postby The Elf » Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:42 am

Hugh Robjohns wrote:Changing the normalling -- should it be needed -- is a few moments with a solder-sucker or wick and really not hard at all.
We'll have to agree to differ on that - it was a exercise in pure frustration IME! And you need at least three hands!

Hugh Robjohns wrote:I just have to undo the four rack bolts and ease the patch panel forward a couple of inches. The solder pads are on the top at the front, and I made sure there's enough slack in the cabling to allow it to be eased out sufficiently to access them.
Yep, same here. And I thought I was being really clever - right up to the point where a couple of plugs fell out and disappeared down the back of the rack... Sigh...

Now I don't even have to remove the screws on the bay - 'click' done!

As you say - to each their own. But I've been there and I'm not going back! :lol:
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby paulsmusic » Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:56 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:
There are three D-subs on the back of a each PCB on a CPJ48, so 6 in all to access all 48 sockets.... and twelve on a 96-hole Bantam patchbay.

Ahh...makes sense now!
paulsmusic
Regular

Previous