You are here

New monitors needed.

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Re: New monitors needed.

Postby R_A » Sun Jul 12, 2020 5:56 pm

There are lots of very sensible replies to this thread. Though it's maybe worth considering that you've doing this a while and you'll probably be doing working with sound until you go deaf or croak. It seems a shame to be doing this on speakers such as Behringer 3031 / KEF104... I say have a little splurge on some good small speakers.

Do you really need to hear the bottom octave? Or can you compensate visually and leave the rest to the ME.

Geithain's are great. ATC are fantastic.

If Mr Willett is amenable, maybe have another sounding of the Geithain RL906 (I'm presuming that you are referring to these as the baby ones). This way you can carry them down from your piano room to your mix room like bowling balls.

You can work out an aesthetically pleasing way to treat your piano room in the future.

Speaker technology is not moving at a tremendous speed. God willing, you'll be enjoying your nice monitors in twenty years time and mix a good number of compositions on them.
R_A
Regular

Postby blinddrew » Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:18 pm

Hmmm. If you're not going to treat the room then I wouldn't bother with spending a lot. If you need full extension (and have a weird objection to a Neumann KH80 / KH750S combo) then I'd save myself a bob or two have a look at something like this: https://www.gear4music.com/Recording-an ... oofer/3369
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Arpangel » Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:18 pm

I’ve posted a few times before about this very dilemma, and yes, again, I’m probably going to do absolutely nothing about it.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby Arpangel » Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:03 am

blinddrew wrote:Hmmm. If you're not going to treat the room then I wouldn't bother with spending a lot. If you need full extension (and have a weird objection to a Neumann KH80 / KH750S combo) then I'd save myself a bob or two have a look at something like this: https://www.gear4music.com/Recording-an ... oofer/3369

Thanks, yes, I’m wondering about a sub, but I think the view here is that it’s not a good idea in an untreated room. But my KEF's sound great in the bass, very tight, so, I’m wondering about all this. Bass is bass isn’t it?
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby blinddrew » Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:10 am

Well, not really!
Start with the different bass response of sealed and ported cabinets and extrapolate from there! :)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Arpangel » Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:24 am

blinddrew wrote:Well, not really!
Start with the different bass response of sealed and ported cabinets and extrapolate from there! :)

Yeah! I find sealed cabinets a lot more tolerant of dodgy rooms, I’ve always had problems with upper bass or lower mid frequencies, they all ways seem to be the most annoying in untreated rooms. It’s like an unnatural bloom, it’s not good. That coupled with lower bass standing waves making the bass seem louder, or softer, in different parts of the room.
But regarding this room, I can’t make any changes, it’s not my house, and my partner wouldn’t like the structural changes, visually.
It’s actually not that bad here, not as bad as my last place, I had a fantastic live room, sounded amazing for playing in, but our control room was awful, as above, but again, not my place.
This room has seen a lot of good recordings, we did that thing for the BBC in here, that seemed more than OK to me and no one complained, there were no really obvious glaring issues. It’s quite a big room, 20/18ft, with a high 15ft ceiling.
I think it may be worth spending a bit, surely, and just try some things here, see how they sound.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby John Willett » Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:56 am

Arpangel wrote:I’m looking for a new pair of monitors for the piano room, John Willett has offered to lend me a pair of Geithain monitors, but I’m not sure, I tried the baby ones and they didn’t suite me. I’ve also listened to Neumann, and didn’t get on with those either, do bare in mind that this room isn’t perfect, it’s not unacceptably bad, but it’s just a large domestic living room and any treatment is out of the question.

The offer is still open :thumbup:

But the larger ones have a cardioid response in the bass end and work very well in rooms with minimal or no acoustic treatment as they do not radiate bass from the rear (that then reflects and colours the sound).

Whatever you choose, do make sure you try them for yourself first and, please, do take me up on the offer to try the ME-Geithain properly.

If you find them not for you - fine. But at least try them in your room before you make your final decision. I use mine for piano monitoring all the time. :thumbup:
John Willett
Jedi Poster
John
Sound-Link ProAudio
Circle Sound Services
Sound-Link are UK Distributors for: Microtech Gefell, ME-Geithain, AETA, HUM, Håkan, Meyer Turtle

Postby Arpangel » Tue Jul 14, 2020 4:06 pm

John Willett wrote:
Arpangel wrote:I’m looking for a new pair of monitors for the piano room, John Willett has offered to lend me a pair of Geithain monitors, but I’m not sure, I tried the baby ones and they didn’t suite me. I’ve also listened to Neumann, and didn’t get on with those either, do bare in mind that this room isn’t perfect, it’s not unacceptably bad, but it’s just a large domestic living room and any treatment is out of the question.

The offer is still open :thumbup:

But the larger ones have a cardioid response in the bass end and work very well in rooms with minimal or no acoustic treatment as they do not radiate bass from the rear (that then reflects and colours the sound).

Whatever you choose, do make sure you try them for yourself first and, please, do take me up on the offer to try the ME-Geithain properly.

If you find them not for you - fine. But at least try them in your room before you make your final decision. I use mine for piano monitoring all the time. :thumbup:

Thanks John, hopefully I’ll be able to sort something out soon.
The trouble with monitors is that they are extremely difficult to sneak by your partner.

:D
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:50 pm

I found the secret is to have lots, keep moving them around, and swear blind they're a review set.... :bouncy:
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Arpangel » Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:22 am

Hugh Robjohns wrote:I found the secret is to have lots, keep moving them around, and swear blind they're a review set.... :bouncy:

"They’re on loan from a friend"

:D
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Previous