You are here

Can TotalMix do this?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Can TotalMix do this?

Postby ManFromGlass » Sun Jul 12, 2020 4:15 am

I want to know if TotalMix can theoretically do the following -
Right now I can do it by physically patching cables.

I open audio program A and set the outputs to Hammerfall 3+4.
I physically patch Outputs 3+4 of the Hammerfall into its Inputs 1+2
I open Logic and set up recording using Inputs 1+2. I avoid using 3+4 outputs for anything.
I hit record and then make program A the active program and play away, while capturing it all in Logic.

Can I do the same thing virtually in TotalMix without setting up a feedback loop? TotalMix is confusing but powerful so I suspect this is possible. There have been a few times where I have totally killed all sound in TotalMix. I will search YouTubes in the morning.
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Re: Can TotalMix do this?

Postby adrian_k » Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:03 am

I think but will need to check later that you can use the loopback function. That’s pretty much what it was designed for. Not to appear too geeky but somewhere around page 80 in the manual? (I had to look it up recently).

Edit - assuming TotalMix operates in the same way on your Hammerfall as my UFX
adrian_k
Frequent Poster
getting better all the time..

Postby The Elf » Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:55 am

As above, you're describing the loopback function of TotalMix. But I have no experience of the Hammerfall.

If you're finding TotalMix confusing then you maybe haven't grasped the fundamentals. We've been over it a few times here, so worth a search or three.

Basics:
top row = physical inputs
middle row = outputs your DAW sees
bottom row - physical outputs

The bottom row is sub-mixes of the top and middle rows.

If you keep this in mind then TM makes perfect sense, and is actually pretty simple.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby ManFromGlass » Sun Jul 12, 2020 2:21 pm

Yes - that much is simple, but then sometimes the ADAT tracks are showing signal on some of the presets. And I think there is a patching page in there somewhere. I believe I’m on the latest version of TM.

Either way I’m off to do my research. I have done loopback before using Soundflower or Audio Hijack. If I can do this internally without buggering up my signal flow then bonus! It will save me the 3 seconds of reaching over to repatch!
:think:

Update - Seems the RME website has a number of TotalMix videos on their site. One of them covering loopback -
https://www.rme-audio.com/totalmix-fx.html
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby The Elf » Sun Jul 12, 2020 2:37 pm

For loopback you just switch it on at the output. The corresponding input gets the signal of the output. That's pretty much it.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.