You are here

Audio issue - Sizzling from speakers

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Audio issue - Sizzling from speakers

Postby gorguts6 » Wed Jul 15, 2020 4:38 pm

Hello,

I just bought last month brand new audioengine HD6, and I love them! I just discovered few days ago a very undesirable sound, very noticeable and annoying while listening at middle to high volume. At first I tought it was only the active speaker but then realised that it was also happening but to less extend on the passive one.

It is not really a hiss or a hum, it's more like an annoying sizzling in the high end frequencies I would say. I even thought at some point it was maybe the magnetic grills vibrating as it really felt like a similar sound as if it was.

[*] Laptop is plugged via USB into the Yamaha MG Mixer and the mixer output is XLR cable to RCA cable into the audioengine active speaker.
[*]Speakers don't use the same power socket than the computer and are on stands, left and right from my desk.
[*] It is very much apparent, when I put the volume at max on the mixer and reduce the volume at the min on the audioengine speaker.
[*]I tried other channels of the mixer, the problem is on whatever channel i use.
[*]I tried to connect the yamaha mixer to the speaker with another cable (stereo jack 1/4 to RCA), problem is still there.
[*]Here is a sound bit I recorded with my phone, next to the active speaker (all panned on its side on the Mixer): http://vincenttessier.fr/wp-content/upl ... zzling.aac
[*]The problem doesn't occur when I bypass the yamaha mixer, for example when I play from my smartphone directly to the speakers via chromecast, the noise is not here.

Any idea?
gorguts6

Re: Audio issue - Sizzling from speakers

Postby MOF » Wed Jul 15, 2020 4:51 pm

Your gain structure is wrong, too high a level from the mixer.
MOF
Frequent Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:39 pm

gorguts6 wrote:It is not really a hiss or a hum, it's more like an annoying sizzling in the high end frequencies I would say.

My virus checker has a hissy fit when I try and access your link, so I haven't heard the noise you're referring to.

[*] Laptop is plugged via USB into the Yamaha MG Mixer and the mixer output is XLR cable to RCA cable into the audioengine active speaker.
[*]The problem doesn't occur when I bypass the yamaha mixer, for example when I play from my smartphone directly to the speakers via chromecast, the noise is not here.[/quote]

So, it's only there when there's a physical connection... This is not entirely surprising.

Some questions:

1. Is anything else physically connected to the speakers (eg, a second source).
2. If you plug headphones into the mixer, can you hear the same noise?
3. Is the laptop running on batteries or a mains charger, and if the latter, does the noise go away when you unplug the charger?
4. Is the laptop connected to anything else?
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby MOF » Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:24 pm

It’s not high end sizzling Hugh, it’s distortion from too much gain which only happens on the louder sections (when the Yamaha mixer is in circuit).
If the mixer output faders are faded down gradually I’m sure that it will come clean at some point and show by how much the input gain should be reduced by to allow the output fader to go back to zero level.
MOF
Frequent Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:54 pm

Fair enough. :thumbup:
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound